No Tags Found!

unusual_indu

Hi Vishwanath
Thank you for your comments .I cannot really express how much words of encouragement means to a person who is still in the process osf shaping his/her career
Thanks and regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
shalav
I think that it does not matter how I think. But you asking the question makes your decision (then) a little weaker (now).

My weird principle is that a decision is never right or wrong by itself. It is through the actions that follow that make the decision right and wrong. This is simply because we are NOW analysing using an even that occurred THEN. As for your future decisions your question stands valid. For this, we/ (maybe only I) are/am interested to hear whether you went out of the way to 'condition' selected person's learning and performance. Otherwise, if there were others in your office who did that. And why they did that.

Next question for you is: should the same incident occur, would you decide the same way?

One of my clients based his selection decision based on economic need of the family. Unfortunately, despite efforts on his part the candidate did not improve. He lost a lot of resources, and lost his good applicant. Eventually he even lost his job. Another client found that recruiting not the best but the most needy person brought him higher level of loyalty, which was critical for his business.

The question is which way works for you. As a HR professional I respect any stance.

From Netherlands
unusual_indu

Respected Senior (Shalav)
Thank you for your comments .I absolutely agree with you whn you say that the flow of discussion changes as we are doing a post-mortem analysis .Its a "there and then " situation rather than a "here and now" situation" but unfortunately at that point of time I was not aware of Human Resource managment communities or otherwise I would have put forward this questions to the senior members of the community and seeked help from them
I did not put in any extra efforts for this candidate neither did the training department nor management .It was the candidates individual need(economic) that made him put his best efforts .I did actually find him practising the vowel sounds during the lunch break.I saw his colleagues making fun of him because all day long he used to try correcting his diction,but we all saw the result at the end of the day.
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
govind

Dear All,
We need to be objective in selection process. Instead of being emotional and comparing two candidates, it will be better to add 'Stayability' and 'Learning Ability' as one of the criteria and give them score accordingly.
This will improve your process and eliminate your dilemma as well.
What do you think ?

unusual_indu

Hi Govind
Thank yopu for your comments .We can also use the the "skill" and "will" matrix for the same .In this person I saw average skills but a very strong will to perform .Since this was a junior level position I could recruit him based on the will that I saw in him to outperform ,had it been a senior level opening my emphasis would have been more on the skill part
Thanks and regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
Jo Verde

Hi Indrani,

I have been watching this thread and reading the number of comments posted by my colleagues....I would like to offer a slightly different perspective...I recently came back from India where I spoke at an International conference on Employee Retention....HR professionals have processes they must go through in order to prove their critical business value.

As I read this thread I was struck by 2 things..one your earnest reflection on did you do the "right thing" by all parties and two was this the "right" business decision.

I offer my comments today based on my view of Human Resources as a critical business function. When researching costs of force loss to an organization, I became very aware of what I call the "hunger factor". There are times when it is not just competencies an effective interviewer must look at.

Perhaps when all is said and done, a projection of probability of retention must be factored into the decision making process.And quite likely, weighted heavily...for organizations can train on job specific skills and competencies but the employee must be there to perform. The cost of force loss replacement is a much greater business consideration for organizations today. You made a good business decision and one that may have exhibited your "gut" feel and while you did not indicate you were thinking about retention, ultimately it is the question of the future and I believe one of the measurements of HR effectiveness.

I have said for some time now that unless and until HR can prove their business value as a department, they will not be seen as critical to the business strategy

Just some of my random thought firings for today and thank you for the opportunity to comment.

Jo Verde

From Canada, Ottawa
unusual_indu

Respected Senior(Jo Verde)
Thank you very much for your comments.Your post definitely opens up new avenues for discussion.I would be obliged if you throw more light on this "cost of force loss replacement" concept as it will be a learning experience for me and my fellow members. I wish I could talk to you some more on employee retention,may be later
Best Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
shipra.singh
Hi Indu
Well, according to me its not an injustice done to the guy with good communication rather it was the injustice done to the Position what you were looking out for at that particular time becoz we know that we have to find out the 'right person for the right position'. :?: But as you have narrated that this second guy has performed outstanding so I suppose that now there is no need to feel sorry for the decision you have taken earlier.
Look Indu, in our profession one needs to be very rational & pragmatic though sometimes it so happens that personal problems cannot be overlooked in any case. So I think you took a wise decision and since things have turned out to be pleasant, so you need not have to feel guilty.
Keep up the good work!
Shipra

From India, New Delhi
unusual_indu

Respected Senior(Shipra)
Thank you for your comments.You have opened up a new dimesion for discussion.Yes you are correct at that point of time I had done injustice to the position as you have rightly said the HR's role is to put the "right man to the right job",but since the decision I took fortunately didnt backfire my back was saved .But then again tell me if I would have recruited the person with good communication skills and he would have left the company in 2-3 months or so. then would it not have been injustice to the job position ?
But nevertheless you have pointed out a very important thing and I will definitely keep this thing in mind when I face a similar situation in future
Keep posting
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
richa_ferns

Hi indrani,

You decision was right though there was an emotional angle to it.

If I were you i would take the same decision sans the emotions. The reason being, the guy who needed the job has proved his worth by his performance, his loyalty by staying with the company. Remember a needy person never forgets the one who helped him / her in times of need and their fierce loyalty to the person / orgn.

Here by hiring him, you not only got a position closed, but you got a very good employee who will stay with the company for a longer period. Keeping in mind how volatile the BPO industry is and the attrition rate.

On the other hand, if you had hired the other guy who already had an offer, he would have probably joined and there was every chance he would leave within the next six months if he got a few thousand rupees more. People who haggle for money, I would say we should be cautioned cause they might not be the long time players.

Rest assured your decision was good. But in future leave the emotional angle out of your decision making.

All the best

Richa

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.