sujeet9911This is my first post, can anybody help to speak english in fluent way i so much lack of confidence with speaking in front of some one but i can speak with any one during telephonic conversation so please guys help to out from this problem i hope you guys will fully help
From India, Delhi
PROFESSIONALS AND BUSINESSES PARTICIPATING IN DISCUSSION
Business Mentor, Consultant And Trainer
Process Industry Consultant / Soft Skill
Training, Motivational Speaker, Writing,
Head Human Resource Of Autoneum Group In
Dinesh DivekarDear Sujeet,
First and foremost I must appreciate you on your ability to find your weakness. You have not only identified your weakness but wanted to take corrective action also. Good. Not many are inclined to do that. The quality of posts in this very forum tell lot about the mindset of the young or upcoming professionals.
Anyway, this query comes up for discussion for time and again. About five years ago, I had given reply on how to improve the written communication skills. More or less same applies to verbal communication as well. Mastering verbal communication is little easy than written communication. Check the following link to read my reply that I had given almost five years ago:
All the best!
Dinesh V Divekar
From India, Bangalore
At the outset let me tell you that the problem you have shared is quite commonly encountered by many people. However, very few people take proactive steps, like you have done to make an effort to tackle the problem by seeking help. Since you are able to speak fluently when on the telephone, I assume that your English language skills are fairly good.
Your inability to articulate fluently in front of people or an audience could possibly be an out come of your introvert nature, your fear of committing errors, your inability to make eye contact freely, being distracted by the physical presence of others etc. It is therefore essential that you try and identify the specific situations/ reasons that trigger this condition of being tongue tied in front of people. The best solution to the problem can be found out if you identify the problem correctly.
It is also essential to remember that for anything you do in life, a clear goal /vision, adequate motivation / enthusiasm, hard work / discipline and the ability to take risks/ challenges are critical attributes. What you also require are the key attributes called 'discipline' and 'enthusiasm' with which you can achieve anything you want.
Your enthusiasm is the reason you wrote in to the forum.The next test is to be disciplined and follow the suggestions given here.
1. My first suggestion is to read aloud as much as possible in English ALOUD. A standard daily English Newspaper and the Readers Digest have very good reading material. If possible record your voice and listen to it to know the areas the sounds, words and alphabets that give you trouble and on which you need to work. If possible read aloud to a friend who can give you his/ her feedback based on which you can work on improving your pronunciation as well as articulation.
2. The mother tongue influence is a problem for many considering that very few of us are native English speakers. To reduce that, make more English speaking friends and make a determined effort to speak only in English, even if you keep forgetting words, or tend to stammer or your friends tend to laugh at you. This will require a lot of will power but believe me you will soon improve. If someone corrects your pronunciation don’t take offense, instead be grateful that he/ she is helping you correct yourself.
3. I would also suggest you try to learn at least 3 -5 new words and look up the meaning in a dictionary. then try and use these words in your daily work and in your communication to improve your vocabulary. Find synonyms for words that give you trouble and use the synonyms where ever possible.
4. If you still feel that professional help is needed to further improve your conversational skills in English, then you will have to attend English speaking classes
5. Finally, if you can, do visit my blogs listed below regularly and try to learn the new words in it and also be inspired by it. Try to read the blog content aloud and you can be sure it will be worthwhile since the blogs have a good response from the readers.
From India, Mumbai
It is very appreciable that you have openly expressed your weakness. Mr. Dinesh has given some ways to improve your english fluency.
I have few suggestions. You just lack confidence in speaking directly with others. You can practice speaking to your own in front of a mirror.
All of us keep thinking of something in our mind. Usually we think in the language best known to us. Start thinking in English.
Head - Human Resource
From India, Madras
By seeing this i am reminded of my college life,where i had undergone the same feelings that you have today.It was the fear that took me behind to everyone.But i had all the abilities to fulfill the given task.Eventhough i was aware that i have the ability to do but i couldn't because of the fear that i had.So i would suggest you to overcome the fear and attain success... The moment you start practicing to stand in front of the audience,you will gain confidence.... Hope you do well....
From India, Coimbatore
Some very useful posts have been shared as above.
This is a common request arising time and again.
Please type your query in box FIND INFORMATION
that is a part of the TITLE BAR.
Say How to speak good English..
Then press RESEARCH.
You will get plenty of useful material.
Further you can also browse the old popular postings
that you see in the right side of these messages.