Hr Executive
Hr Executive
Korgaonkar K A
Private Consultant On Labour Laws
Talent Acquisition / Consultant - Catalis
Manager- Hr & Admin
Employment Lawyer
Lawyer & Consultant
+2 Others

Thread Started by #fijardo

As per gratuity payment Eligibility criteria one needs to complete 4 years, 240 days to get gratuity payment.
Keeping above criteria in mind , If an employee has worked 4 years 207 days and rest 33 days employees pays the organization as short notice period . Is he eligible for Gratuity payment? Can the employee take legal action on the employer if he is not paid the Gratuity payment , Since he is buying 33 days.
Arun Fijardo
26th June 2013 From Singapore
No, he is not eligible
Even supreme court has ruling that 5 years work means 5 years actual work. Paying notice period is part of the contract but cannot be considered as that person has actually worked in the organisation.
26th June 2013 From India, Mumbai
Dear Fijardo,
I believe the 240 is the clause with working days which will come to account as full 1 year working if we deduct the weekends holidays etc...
So practically it's 5 years...
Even if we give benefit of doubt of being eligible with 4 yrs and 240 days,... you are mentioning that
The person is working for 207 days... The last working day in effective was 207th day in the year... Gratuity is calculated w.r.t to your joining date and last working date....
The notice pay that the person would give will be against the early relieve that he/she wants.
Also kindly note that if the person thinks that s/he would resign and give 30 days notice as per clause, it will be upto the company to decide if they want the person to be relieved earlier....
So the company can relieve you say immediately or in week's time and again the person do not become eligible for gratuity...
Hope I was able to solve your doubts....
26th June 2013 From India, Mumbai
Dear Arun ji,
You are under wrong impression. Gratuity is payable on completion on 5 years of service and not before that.
Madras HC judgement is not applicable to other states. If you are in Madras, this judgement is in your benefit but you should render 240 days in 5th year of your service. Notice pay is a payment in lieu of your short notice.
26th June 2013 From India, Mumbai
Dear Arjuna Fijardo,
The PG Act,1972 clearly stipulates a minimum period of Five years for the eligibility of gratuity with some exceptions.It is only the courts,who have made some dilution in the norms to give benefits (in the last year) to the persons who are nearing completing Five years.It is absurd to think that by paying a small sum you can claim a bigger amount as both the privileges are different in nature and cannot be equated.The gratuity is governed by a statute whereas the notice period is a term & condition of your appointment.I suggest you to wait and serve your present employer for the shortfall of days for being entitle to payment of gratuity.
BS Kalsi
Member since Aug 2011
28th June 2013 From India, Mumbai
The minimum period for eligibility of gratuity is 5years of service with first 4years as full and in the fifth year you may work for 240 active days in 365 days of the year. This period can not be condoned. Thus you are not eligible for gratuity. You should have considered this fact prior to your resignation or issue of notice for leaving the company.
Mahavir Mittal
28th June 2013 From India, New Delhi
This is a litigate-able issue, technically he has not worked 240 days in the 5th year which is the deciding factor, had he worked in the notice period he would be eligible without a doubt, at the same time his period of service can also be considered including the notice period nonetheless if you go strictly on the 'contract of employment' basis, but since he was relieved upfront by the company by paying the notice pay it becomes an issue that can be taken up before the court. However in all probabilities if the employee approaches the authority under the gratuity Act claiming it, in the name of beneficial legislation it will go in his favor, I doubt even the high court will interfere in such cases, although without setting a precedent as such [taking the case in isolation]. So I suggest you pay the gratuity and save yourself of the litigation trouble and don't forget the interest and penalty that will be imposed for the delay in payment of gratuity if you lose in litigation, its just not worth it, being hyper-technical will not help in this issue as the situation is debatable in legal terms, you need to have a more practical approach.
29th June 2013 From India, Chennai
Ac coding to the payment of gratuity act 1972 completed 5 years working in any organization eligible to gratuity with continues service without any break.
30th June 2013 From India, Tirupati
Dear Arun Fijardo,
Greetings for the day,
Noted that 4 years +240 days= 5 years of service, but it must be noted that 240 days should be the working days, then after notice period should also be consider for the payment.
Thanks & Regards,
Sumit Kumar Saxena
2nd July 2013 From India, Ghaziabad
Sumit Kumar,
Yes, notice period is considered into the payment period as the act says that the working period is to be calculated from date of joining til last working date.
However if the employer accepts your resignation and relieves you earlier, in that case it may happen that one loses gratuity after serving almost full period only for a couple of months...
Hence, when someone has already served for 4 years and 8-10 months, we normally advice to complete full 5 years and then resign so that even if the company is willing to relieve him/her tomorrow, he/she still stands eligible...
Hope this helped...
3rd July 2013 From India, Mumbai
Hi All,
I want to add one situation for further discussion on Gratuity.
If any person worked for say 4 and half year, then as per Act he is not eligible for Gratuity.
But if he is asked to resign by company and immediate relieve, then whether he is eligible to Gratuity as he is not going by his will?
Also note he is not fired for his performance, behavior etc.
4th July 2013 From India, Kolhapur
Irrespective of resignation / retirement / termination,
If the person is not completing 5 years of continuous service on his or her last working day, he/she will not be eligible for gratuity...
The only relaxation for the 5 year's continuous service is in the case of death and partial / full disablement which do not allow an employee to continue his/her services any further...
Only in these 2 cases, the due gratuity amount is paid to the nominee stated by the person.
Hope this helped.
5th July 2013 From India, Mumbai
Dear All,
While agreeing with Ankita ji cent percent but I would consider the following situation differently in which the employee is not allowed to complete 5 years of service with no fault of him.
If I am the employee, I will demand for Gratuity. And I am the employer, I will accept the demand by such employee.

5th July 2013 From India, Mumbai
Under Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972 Sec 4 "Gratuity shall be payable to an employee on the termination of his employment after he has rendered continues service not less than 5 years, on superannuation, retirement, resignation, death, disablement due to accident or disease. Continuance service of 5 service shall not be necessary where the termination of the employment is due to death or disablement."
Srinivas B
5th July 2013 From India, Hyderabad
Reply (Add What You Know) Start New Discussion

Cite.Co - is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors. Register Here and help by adding your inputs to this topic/query page.
Prime Sponsor: TALENTEDGE - Certification Courses for career growth from top institutes like IIM / XLRI direct to device (online digital learning)

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™