Strategic Business Management Includes Revenue
Hr & Administration Specialist
First thing is that Employee cant ask his/her Boss directly that why he is not considering him/her for hike in salary / promotion or not doing justice with him/her but can ask for advice/suggestion that what he/she can do more or to improve the skills and performance so that his/her candidature can be consider for Promotion and hike in salary. And Udey you have done the same mistake, henceforth you have to take it very consciously
Second, how can you say that you have got high rating and appraised by your Boss while you have not received any hike or anything. I would suggest you to show him that you are just concerned about this and ready to do more hard work and seeking his advice and support in this regards.
26th September 2011 From India, Gurgaon
Thanks for your inputs. I work for a retail company in middle east. We have our appraisal discussions in Sept and Salary/promotion reviews in Oct. I certainly have asked his suggestion and advice to hone my skills. The culture in the company is more like you get only if you ask.
26th September 2011 From India, Bangalore
Further to the suggestions as shared by Anil, here's mine :
- List your contribution vis-a-vis to the competencies required at the next level.
- Justify higher pay with a higher value that you agree to deliver for the next annual year.
- Share your growth plan in terms of the learning you have decided for your self. Share the certifications and degrees that you have planned to do in the next financial year , aligned to what is required in the job.
- Include your business leaders to mentor you for the next level. Your efforts will make your eager to be promoted, but it will happen, only when you have sponsors to your growth.
- Identify how closely your interest to grow is intertwined with what is available in the company.You might be interested to work in a business role. Whereas, there would be few open position in Operations. Identify how is this ambiguity aligned to what you wanted to grow as.
- Look for shadowing opportunities. Request a leader who is ready to mentor you, to allow you to shadow in roles in which you would want to grow.
These suggestion needs to be aligned to the limitations of your situation. Please share them, if it allows you to. It will help us to find the best solution for you. Looking forward to hear from you.
27th September 2011 From India, Mumbai
What happened to your company's Promotion Policy and Appraisal Policy?
What is spells about the duration and waiting period for every promotion and grading method adopted for considering the hike in salary?
Can your demands fixed in all the above category or is there any special or general exemption available for such demands like yours?
If so then there is some valid points in your demand.
27th September 2011 From India, Kumbakonam
Good Morning! I have been in touch with working methods in Middle East and I see through your situation.
First of all, you got a good rating based on your efforts in your individual tasks and challenges that are associated with your job function. As you are aware, in many middle east companies you cannot see the attrition and employee movement which causes the saturation in experienced people.
I am unsure of your experience in this company. If you are 2-year old, then no need to say, you have a 5-year working collegue in your team. Though the number of years won't count for a promotion and only hard work speaks, you should also understand what you did exceptionally that might have profitted your management or lead you being on good books.
You can definitely ask for a 'salary hike' for your achievement on your individual goals, given tasks, and exceptional or sincere maintenance of your job functions.
But, if you want to approach for a promotion.... discuss with your bosses on the things that you did along with/for your team (not only YOU) to profit the department, improving the corporate eitquettes, stabilizing the processes, or adding new milestones, etc. When it comes to promotion, understand that "I" factor should be eliminated and always approach with "WE/ US".
You can clearly point out how you started it when you join, how you targetted till your probation, what's your strategy towards the annual appraisal, and what's your goal for next year appraisals, who are the potential people in your team whom you can encourage, and what are weak points that you can target and improve in order to improve the department/staff.
Just avoid "I" when you speak for promotion ... management never likes this attitude. As you mentioned in your second para, you have the potential to take on next role (YOU THINK SO) but this opinion matches at the management view??
Always remember ... do things without any expectations and never forget that people are observing your actions and words.
27th September 2011 From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
27th September 2011 From India, Gurgaon
We do have something called as Potential ratings, I was rated High Potential and which says that an employee is ready to be moved into the next role immediately. I have successfully completed all the projects for the year and I have taken additional projects too.
Considering all this points I made a demand. I felt it is justified for what I have done.
Thanks for your valuable inputs.
27th September 2011 From India, Bangalore
Do you know? What type of Appraisal process your company is following? Otherwise share your appraisal process, I will help you on this. and do you Think you are a star performer in your team or some one else is there.
27th September 2011 From India, Madras
You can work on the inputs submitted by various members as it is more informative. Also i agree to certain points as posted by (Cite Contribution).
I would say that our life is working on GIVE & TAKE POLICY. There are very few companies in this world who "PAY WELL AND EXTRACT WELL". I don't know much about your organisation standards including Promotion Policy and Appraisal Policy.
1) As you said, you need to justify yourself in writing, stating what you are capable of and what you wish to achieve within a stipulated period of time or before the next annual year. Numbers speaks for itself. If your role is linked with the revenue generation, please do explain as how you can contribute your share towards organisational development. Perhaps you have understood your boss requirements more than your organisations's requirement.
2) Kindly just don't seek or request for promotion without evaluation the whole picture/siutation including yourself(competencies, various skills, etc)
3) Seek inputs from your immediate superior and your colleagues to rectify your short comings as everyone needs to adopt CHANGE MANAGEMENT.
4) Be precise while having OPEN DISCUSSIONS with your BOSS.
5) Please be practical and professional in your approach.
If your boss had understood and digested your abilities and capabilities, definitely you will get a chance to prove yourself more than expected.
By the way, would you mind sharing the nationality of your BOSS.
Wish you good luck.
With profound regards
27th September 2011 From India, Chennai
Looks like Anil is the fav name on this forum :)
As you mentioned I got a good understanding of why my boss wants me to do this exercise. Secondly all the points mentioned by you is very well taken and is in process of implementation.
27th September 2011 From India, Bangalore
· Indicate where u were required to perform under extreme pressure & U delivered
· Indicate where you have came up with new idea and it worked for the process of job
· Talk about your positive qualities and how they helped in the progress and delivery of work
For the New Role
· Show your appraise that you know all about the job
· Show him where you think in that job your qualities fit beautifully “Technical, soft skills”
· Show him what are the difference your going to make should you take on the role.(what are you bringing to the table)
· Avoid showing what are the problems you wish to fix
· Please don’t sound desperate
That’s what I think.
27th September 2011 From Oman, Muscat
Don't feel apologetic about asking for a raise. If you have done good work, you deserve a hike and should be bold enough to ask for it.
13th December 2013 From India, Delhi
Having been the appraiser as well as the appraised, here are some lessons I have learnt.
Tips to Get the High Salary Appraisal | jobandeducation.com <link updated to site home> ( Search On Cite | Search On Google )
2nd May 2014 From India, Delhi