No Tags Found!


Gratuity is a lumpsum and one-time-payment ensured to the employees by a special legislation only on account of certain modes of termination of their employment specified therein and that particular law has been recognized as a complete Code in itself in this regard. So, my view-point is that everything connected with gratuity has to be approached from the perspective of what the Payment of Gratuity Act,1972 stands for.

Even those learned members who are of the opinion that the amounts due from the out-going employee can be recovered by the employer from his gratuity would admit that the P.G Act is a social security legislation. Forfeiture, either partial or whole, of the amount of gratuity is certainly different from the recovery of dues from the gratuity by way of adjustment or otherwise.Therefore, recovery of any monetary dues created out of the subsisting employment relationship between the employer and employee can not be effected in any manner from his gratuity which arises only on the termination of the employment relationship. In view of this fact as well as the provision of Sec.14 of the Act,It is to be noted that any settlement or agreement envisaging the recovery of or adjustment of monetary dues from/against the amount of gratuity is null and void.

Similarly, the protection of gratuity ensured under section 13 of the Act is only against attachment in execution of any decree or order of any court seems to be a hyper-technical argument.

From India, Salem

Dear Anuj,
Gratuity once paid, may be by credit in to the bank account by the employer, cannot be recovered from the employee's bank account. Needless to emphasize, the roles of an employer towards its employee and the banker of an individual are quite different from each other. So both the roles of the bank cannot overlap with each other..

From India, Delhi

i think many of them giving wrong information. you cannot recover outstanding amount from gratuity and its illegal. i request those who said it legal kindly go through the gratuity act and case studies clearly.
From India

Dear Balaji,
Instead of asking any or every person to go through the Act as a whole, you may please like to quote relevant section of the Act, which you intend to refer that debars recovery of employer's dues against the employee, such like outstanding balances of home loans, advances or losses, etc., to any establishment.

From India, Delhi

The Hon'ble Supreme Court, vide its order dated December 15, 2020, in Steel Authority of India Limited vs. Raghbendra Singh & Ors (Special Leave to Appeal No. 11025/2020, has laid down that there does not exist any constraint regarding withholding an employee's gratuity against the recovery of dues from such employee, including penal rent, which in the instant case pertained to the overstay by the employee in official company provided accommodation.

In the light of above Judgment of the Apex Court, the participants to this post may have a relook on their versions.

Jacob Pratap
Deputy Labour Commissioner, Punjab (Retd.)

From India, Chandigarh
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: pdf M_S_Steel_Authority_Of_India_Ltd_vs_Raghbendra_Singh_on_15_December_2020.PDF (203.6 KB, 9 views)

am employee i was worked in organization for 7.5 years . before leaving organization taken the loan rs. one lac three months before some amount was deduction from salary the balance amount can recovery from gratuity. pl confirm in which section
From India, New Delhi

There is no provision in the Payment of Gratuity Act 1972 providing for recovery of any sum due to the employer from the gratuity due and payable to an employee. Indeed, the requirement is to the opposite that the full amount of gratuity is payable to the employee on termination of service. However, if the employee agrees, take a declaration authorising deduction and release the remaining amount or take a cheque for the amount due and advise the bank to credit only the remaining amount to the employee's account. Though this is not fully legal, yet could be tried in the facts and circumstances of the matter.
From India, Mumbai
My freind had been working almost 19years for a MNC.He was terminanated from his job as he was not been able to attend his job for three month.So when he asking for gratutie payment company denied to pay him gratutie for his housing assistant loan.and its almost 5years of termination and his gratutie stiil pending.pls advice.
From India, Guwahati
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.