Anonymous
I am working in an mnc company. There are no projects i was resigned in Feb 1 2023
But all of sudden i got termination slip without any reason. Not only for me our team got 62 people are laid off.

My question was termination & layoff are same?

From India, Chandigarh
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi

Both are different.

Termination of an employee will be on following grounds.

Poor performance
On grounds of misconduct
For not reporting to duty without information.

So termination will took place if there is a issue with employee but even such cases proper disciplinary process to be followed including domestic enquiry. Employee should be provided with sufficient opportunity to defend his or her as per principles of natural justice.

Layoff take place when employer intent to close his business or no work to carry out in the establishment.

Termination will have impact on the future of employees whereas in layoff it is not employee's fault.

Termination for no projects is not right.

From India, Madras
umakanthan53

In a generic sense, the terms " lay off " and " termination " as used in the realm of employment across the world means the same indicating the termination of employment of any number of persons particularly due to lack of work at the instance of the employer.
But, according to the Industrial Disputes Act,1947, it is a temporary cessation of employment of any number of workmen employed in an industrial establishment because of the failure, refusal or inability of the employer due to certain specific reasons mentioned u/s 2(kkk) of the Act. The distinction is that there is the subsistence of the contract of employment during the entire period of lay off and payment of lay off compensation subject to certain conditions.
In the scenario described in the initial post, it is termination of employment amounting to retrenchment in respect of those who did not resign their jobs..

From India, Salem
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.