No Tags Found!

Dipshikha K
Hi Folks, This is my very first post here.
Recently I have been asked a question by the interviewer that, tell me the name of companies which are having 30 days notice period. I could not answer the question.
Can somebody help me with that please?

From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Dipshikha,

Firstly, let me wish you good luck in your job search. I wish for a positive outcome from the interview.

Now coming to the question. Though you have sought a query, can you please provide us with a context of the question? Context means which were the preceding questions to this question.

Otherwise, from the candidate's assessment point of view, there is no significance to this question. India has a few million companies and it is impossible to keep a track of the companies that have a 30-day notice period. Even within the same industry segment, it may not be possible to track the information.

Nevertheless, the interviewer could be trying to get market information. Smart interviewers use the job interview as one of the means to do their market research. He might have done it. He might have expected that on a spur of the moment an interviewee may reveal the names of 1-2 companies. He might want to target the candidates from those companies so that he can fill the vacancies earlier!

Of course, this is just a surmise and it is difficult to assess or understand the logic of this question.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
ommygautam

You can't do anything with this type of situation when useless questions are asked by the interviewer. Sometimes the interviewer thinks they are the best, even I am surprised to see that when they asked about a candidate's job stability while he/she turned his/her own job frequently. So don't take it seriously otherwise you will feel mental disturb.
just keep growing your knowledge and don't stuck with this stupid type question.

From India, Rudarpur
aussiejohn

Yet another example of why companies have so much trouble attracting and recruiting suitable candidates due to a substandard recruitment and selection process.

Staff engaged in the task of interviewing job candidates need to be trained in interview techniques, and to also follow a set list of questions designed to focus SOLELY on the skills and attributes required to do the particular job in question.

It has become "trendy" to ask these stupid sorts of questions in a misguided attempt to try and ascertain if the candidate can "think on their feet" as it were. Asking "gotcha" questions never ends well for anyone. In my case, when an interviewer asked me a question like that, I just terminated the interview and walked out, having told the person that I prefer to work with people with a higher intellectual capacity. Only one person ever apologised to me, proving I was right in rejecting such nonsense.

If you want to ascertain the ability of a candidate to "think on their feet" then ask a STAR question that gives them the opportunity to tell you about a situation where they had to do that.

From Australia, Melbourne
sitaramsn

I appreciate Mr. Dinesh. I do not know why others objecting for such questions. Mr. Dinesh stated that it is kind of trick to know the market conditions. Nothing wrong in it. However, candidate need not lose heart, if they could not answer.
It could be a trick by interviewer to understand how the candidate reacts too, for such situations.
There could be something in interviewer mind which could not be known to interviewee.

From India, Hyderabad
aussiejohn

Sitaramsn,

The process of sitting for a job interview is difficult and stressful for many candidates.

At the very least candidates should expect to be treated with courtesy. They should also expect to be treated fairly and equally with all other candidates applying for the same position. The purpose of a job interview is to establish how each candidate meets the requirements of the position. In other words can the do the job or not. That is all there is to it.

Interviewers who want to indulge in pop psychology to big note themselves have no place in the process. Almost every one of us here on CiteHR can give you examples of how hard it is to get a job. When we succeed in getting the all important interview, none of us wants to be treated like this. You say a candidate should not lose heart, but sadly many do. It is devastating to walk into an interview knowing you are a very good fit for the job and that you have the skills and attributes needed to succeed - but you get shot down by an idiot asking stupid irrelevant questions.

So my questions to you are:-
1. Are you one of those type of interviewers, and what is your justification for such behaviour?
2. If not, have you been a victim of such interviewing tactics, and how did you deal with it?

sitaramsn

Dear Mr. John,
I can understand your aggression. Please understand that I am not supporting any one either interviewer or interviewee.
What I suggested is that if the candidate could not answer an irrelevant question he need not lose heart. This is because one answer will not decide your knowledge or skill. It will have several other questions too to assess your knowledge and skill.
One more thing I said, a candidate may not know why such question asked. That is why I referred Mr. Dinesh's answer. It may look like a stupid question for the candidate but may have some purpose to the interviewee, which is not known.
There will be some psychological questions during interviews based on positions to handle.
For your questions, I am in both places.

From India, Hyderabad
indu 182

Dear All
Gone through all the reply, First question are not stupid it is only way to understand IQ of a person. Because now a day every job aspirant make very fancy resume and interviewer try to ask question relevant to job still in practical working IQ is more important. All this I am saying because of my experience.
Reply to the question how many companies have 30 days........
Simply Reply I am not aware about all the companies HR policies. I can only let you know about this where only I have worked.
When I was doing job and gone to attend interview of very big organization for the post of account executive , they ask me why we walk/ drive on left side of the road. This question had no relevance to my job. Still I replied It is just a traffic rule in our country to manage the traffic. Its hardly matter to walk/drive on right side because in so many country rule is to walk /drive on right side of the road. I got selected though I did not join the organization because of less salary they offered me.
And if you don't the answer simply tell you don't know.
But sorry to say now a days youngster don't pay attention to IQ.
Thanks

From India, New Delhi
aussiejohn

A couple more points here

Firstly, I am not being aggressive about this, merely stating my view of this situation and why I think it is bad. Nothing more.

Secondly, candidates are conditioned to believe that they must answer every question they are asked. But yes, it is permissible to just say "I'm sorry I don't know". However many candidates are too scared to say that.

The question of psychological questions is one for another discussion, but in brief, if there is a job that requires this sort of questioning, then that part of the interview/candidate assessment should be outsourced to a suitably qualified psychologist who can handle that in a professional manner.

I can give you an example of that. Many years ago I was interviewed for a particular job that ultimately would require the highest security clearance. Therefore the recruitment process was very involved and took many months. Part of that involved a psychological assessment, and I was sent to a psychologist where I spent an afternoon doing tests and after a break while the tests were scored, I was then interviewed by the psychologist. I can tell you it was a very gruelling session, and I was mentally exhausted at the end of it.

Asking a question as detailed by the OP has nothing whatsoever to do with psychology. It tells us nothing about understanding a person's mental processes, brain functions, and behaviour.

Suresh Rathi

The question asked was illogical . The non ability to answer it should not have mattered in the final say. Col.Rathi
From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.