Anonymous
Dear Mam/sir,

I am learning and development aspirant. Today I am writing this to express my situation and thoughts. I have planned to apply for Trainee profile as a training coordinator in hospitality industry. My vision is to excel in learning and development department. But before applying I am facing problem where to apply.

The reason is sometimes you don't know about the culture and the leadership team where you are applying like how they will treat you. Do you get good working culture there. Do you learn something out of box or theory. Are they going to support you and share learning. Today I am sharing what I felt.

I have asked some HR's of hotel group which property is good to apply for learning on LinkedIn but they just seen the message and ignored. I can understand HR can't answer this question unless you don't know them personally. But I felt bad. I can understand they can't take other hotel group name. But they can also take their hotel name or can reply something.

But if the same question asked by marketing aspirant to marketing manager, food beverage aspirant or IT officer to IT aspirant they will get the answers from their same department person not by hr.

But if hr aspirant will ask the same question to hr. Why their hesitate. They should not be reserved. They have also started they journey as a trainee. So they should also share they journey and suggest the good place where fresher can apply and excel. Just because of designated profile and reputation they can't answer simple question.
A genuine hr is not just restrict to organisation.

I am sorry if I mentioned something wrong.

Thank you

From India
aussiejohn

Just because one organisation has ignored your request for information, it does not necessarily follow that all organisations will do the same. So please do not rush to judgement on a sample of one.

Hotels are busy places, many organisations are short staffed. HR people may have their hands full with just managing day to day operations, so your request falls through the cracks so to speak. But, many organisations are not interested in providing information, or have no idea what to tell you anyway.

You may need to call various hotels and ask to speak to the training manager. Tell the manager you are seeking career information, and try to ask for an short appointment to come and see him/her to discuss the requirements you need to build a career in hospitality training. They will be busy people so do not ask for too much time. Make sure you prepare well with a list of questions, and know exactly what you want to say.

You might also look beyond hotels, and seek information from other types of hospitality providers. The key here is that you have to start somewhere. Good hotels will mostly likely only recruit people who have some training experience already, so you need get some sort of training knowledge first. It may not necessarily have to be in the hospitality industry. Training is training, the same basic principles apply everywhere, only the subject matter and mode of training changes.

You do not mention if you have any formal training qualifications. If you do not have a qualification, then that is your first task to deal with. Employers will look on you more favourably if you have at least made an effort to kick start your chosen career, and show a willingness and commitment to do what it takes.

From Australia, Melbourne
Dinesh Divekar

Dear member,

The replies to a few paragraphs of your post are as below:

I am learning and development aspirant. Today I am writing this to express my situation and thoughts. I have planned to apply for Trainee profile as a training coordinator in hospitality industry. My vision is to excel in learning and development department. But before applying I am facing problem where to apply.

Comments: - Good to note that you wish to pursue your career in the hospitality industry. However, please note that it is not a "vision" but an "aspiration" to pursue a career in the hospitality industry. As training or learning professional, the first lesson is to check the meaning of the terms or phrases and then use them. Never forget this first lesson. Secondly, your challenge is to gain knowledge of where to apply. However, you have decided to work in the hospitality industry. Therefore, the broad parameters of your job search are clear. Start applying whenever the openings are declared. As far as possible target the 5-star hotels only.

The reason is sometimes you don't know about the culture and the leadership team where you are applying like how they will treat you. Do you get good working culture there. Do you learn something out of box or theory. Are they going to support you and share learning. Today I am sharing what I felt.

Comments: - I understand your apprehensiveness. However, a job aspirant cannot have options. Your success will depend on whether or not you devote your heart and soul to your profession in general and your job in particular. Therefore, remove doubt in your mind on whether or not you will be able to learn something new.

I have asked some HR's of hotel group which property is good to apply for learning on LinkedIn but they just seen the message and ignored. I can understand HR can't answer this question unless you don't know them personally. But I felt bad. I can understand they can't take other hotel group name. But they can also take their hotel name or can reply something.

Comments: - You may target any chain of 5-star hotels. There are many chains in India. Just because a few HR professionals were unresponsive to your query, don't put off yourself. Keep on trying to get the market information. Acquiring market information is always a tough job. Even seasoned market research companies find a big challenge in extracting the correct information. You are facing a similar challenge.

But if the same question asked by marketing aspirant to marketing manager, food beverage aspirant or IT officer to IT aspirant they will get the answers from their same department person not by hr.

Comments: - This is your perception. The grass looks always greener on the other side. Have you done research on the job aspirants to check whether or not their seniors were responsive? They also could be facing similar problems. Secondly, most working professionals are quite busy and they might ignore a query from a greenhorn like you. However again as I said earlier, do not get disappointed because of their unresponsiveness.

But if hr aspirant will ask the same question to hr. Why their hesitate. They should not be reserved. They have also started they journey as a trainee. So they should also share they journey and suggest the good place where fresher can apply and excel. Just because of designated profile and reputation they can't answer simple question.
A genuine hr is not just restrict to organisation.

Comments: - [i]Just because a few unresponsive HRs from the hospitality industry, you cannot paint all the HRs in the same colour. Show patience. Secondly, if the HRs are not responsive, then why not ask the same question to the faculties of your college/institute? College faculties are also better career guides.

Final comments: - The hotel industry is a dynamic industry. However, to succeed in this industry a lot of hard work is required. My few tips are as below:

a) Be thorough in your subject knowledge. Never forget what you have learnt in your college years. You should by heart everything you have learnt in your degree or diploma course. When you appear for a job interview, the interviewer must get overwhelmed by your knowledge. He/she should be compelled to select you.

b) Getting a job opportunity is difficult. However, many times the opportunities are lost because the job aspirants are not prepared well and they blame their luck or destiny or even unfairness by God! You must be prepared to snatch the job opportunity.

c) A career in the hospitality industry demands a good command of English. Your post is laden with many grammatical mistakes. Therefore, improve your English as well. Otherwise, notwithstanding good subject knowledge, you may lose because of poor English. Do not take this risk.

c) A career in the hospitality industry requires good oral communication also. Improve your oral communication. Read a newspaper loudly. Later, prepare yourself for small presentations. Tell your friend or someone to do video shooting of your presentation. Find out where or not there is a break in the flow of your speech, hesitation etc

d) Working in the hospitality industry requires one to be thorough in grooming and deportment. Therefore, prepare yourself on that count as well.

e) A success does not fall in one's lap. One has to work hard. By looking at others' success there is a tendency to envy them. We think that it was a cakewalk for them. However, this is not the case. Never forget the following Sanskrit shloka:

उद्यमेन हि सिध्यन्ति कार्याणि न मनोरथैः ।
न हि सुप्तस्य सिंहस्य प्रविशन्ति मुखे मृगाः ॥

Meaning in Hindi: - जिस प्रकार सोते हुए सिंह के मुँह में मृग स्वयं नहीं प्रवेश करता, उसी प्रकार केवल इच्छा करने से सफलता प्राप्त नहीं होती है| अपने कार्य को सिद्ध करने के लिए मेहनत करनी पड़ती है |

Meaning in English: - Have you ever heard of a deer coming and entering the mouth of a lion while he sleeps? In that case, why are we led to believe that we can achieve success by merely thinking about it or coveting it? One can achieve success only by working hard and through dedication.

Right now you are exploring jobs. However, along with the external exploration, you have to explore within also. Ask yourself what are my capacities? Have I explored my capacities? Do I use my capacities fully? Answers to these questions will take you to a sky-high level.

All the best!

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Anonymous
Thank you John sir for replying to my concern. I will follow your advice. But i would like to share that whatever I have posted that is what I felt. It's not for all the HR's. Not for every HR. I just shared my experience and i thank you that you have provided me some insights of hr and busy staff.
From India
Anonymous
Thank you Dinesh Divekar sir for your guidance. I will follow everything you shared to me. Thank for guiding.
From India
JAWAHAR LAL MOONDRA

1. Social Media Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram are not meant for raising personal queries to know about working culture of an organization as you have done in your case.

2. HR heads or rather any employee is not allowed to disclose the company’s proprietary HR policies to any outsider and that too in writing. At the most it can be informed during the personal conversation with the particular HR head, if requested after seeking time slot for same.

3. The hospitality sector has come out of wood as a fall out of Covid-19 resulting in mass exodus of employees working there, which might be due to nonpayment of salaries for the lockdown period, change of employment, change of trade, relocation of employee. Due to which entire sector is feeling the pitch of shortage of employees. Therefore, in some cases, the HOD are required to work in place of employee to keep the organization to remain a float till it return to normalcy and therefore they may not be finding time to respond any query which otherwise s/he would have loved to respond.

4.Training can be imparted only to those who have basic knowledge of the particular field which can only be gained if one has pursuit the basic course in that field. Therefore, one should have given his/her complete back ground to the person before raising any query.

Jawaharlal Moondra
+919 829 028 028

From India, Jodhpur
saswatabanerjee

I have read your post with interest.
But tell me, why will any of them really bother to reply.

You are sending a message to someone asking how good or bad the managers are in their organisation. But which manager in a company will answer such a question and say their managers are bad and do not help new employees? Will they risk getting into the bad books of their own organisation or their co-workers?

I do not know what you have actually written. But in any case, people in Linked-in in india are generally non-responsive except to blow their own trumpet. so I doubt it is to you in particular.

If you want to know more about the company's culture, probably places like indeed and glass door are better places. You will find current and former employees commenting on their experience in the company.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.