No Tags Found!

Dharti Bhiwgade
Hi, I am confused about my career. I have 2 years of experience as a hospital hr executive. But now I want to change my hospital field. I tried other companies and all but I don't find so much and now I am still in trouble.
From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Dharti,

After spending two years in the hospital as HR Executive, why do you wish to change your industry? What is the reason? Why have you developed distaste for the hospital industry?

To grow in one's career, it is important to gain the general knowledge associated with a particular industry. Secondly, if you continue to work in the same industry, then you will come to know the ecosystem of that industry. While functional knowledge is important, as you grow in your career, in future, you will be assessed for your industry's knowledge also. If you change your industry, then you will lose your competitive advantage.

After the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the healthcare industry will continue to grow. Many big industrial houses are yet to enter this sector. However, in future, you will find that they too have entered. This will increase your job opportunities.

Therefore, review your decision of the change of industry. Stick to one industry to grow!

All the best!

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
saswatabanerjee

each industry has a different requirement and a different way to handle problems.
Healthcare is different from manufacturing industry so your change will be difficult. You will either need to apply for entry level jobs or go and work for a smaller company who are willing to take someone from a different vertical to save cost or attract talent not otherwise available to them.

While I agree that healthcare HR means you will always need to stay within that particular industry, but why exactly do you want to change? What difficult or danger / risk do you see in the future?

From India, Mumbai
drsivaglobalhr

Dear Colleague,
Very Well explained by our Colleagues. Thanks for that.

Add:

Even though HR in general is common for any sector in the olden days, now the scenario has changed. The skill set required for HR is going sector specific. HR in practiced differently in Hospital, Hospitality, IT, ITES, BPO, Manufacturing, Sales, Financial sector ect in different passion and fashion. But it is very well possible to move from one sector to other provided you have sound understanding of the Business / Organization's process which are unique in terms of Talent Requirements, Business Objectives, Business Drivers etc.

When you want to move from sector to sector you must be able to apply the HR Skills, sector specific. If you want to move to Manufacturing for example you must know more of IR apart from HR for which you need to equip yourself including statutory compliance, liaison, Stakeholder management, Trade Union management and so on. In addition understand the Business Objectives, Targets, Manufacturing Process and the different JDs of Talents working there in Factory so that you can do well in the selection process. This is possible though self learning or by a Orientation learning to any of your colleagues' Factory

If you want to move to Sales HR, then you need to have in-depth knowledge on Sales related process like marketing, advertising, technical support, customer relations and R&D etc and also to understand their Business Targets, Business Strategies, Pricing, Dealership arrangement, advertising methods and so on. You can very well have a collaboration with any of your Sales Colleague and do market visit to learn.

Similarly for other Sector also you can endeavor to explore what type of industry it is and what are the business challenges, they face etc. Especially when you want to move to IT/ ITES you need to know the in and out of their working pattern, their JDs, their Business Model etc so that it will be easy to get in.

Nothing is impossible as HR remains same in every filed and only you should know the knack of applying it to the filed with full understanding of the business. Hence kindly spend some time and prepare well to the sector you choose.

As rightly said by our colleague, it may be challenging to move to other sector but keep trying. This is like Cooking remains same but whether it is North Indian/ South India/ Continental/ Fast Food/ Contemporary / Family style and so on which definitely needs the Art of applying the skill to different fields.

Keep trying and definitely, you will come through and as suggested try to enter in the lower or middle level in the next sector and within a quick time you can come up fast as you have basic HR with you.

From India, Chennai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.