No Tags Found!

khushva
Hi,
I am working in IT industry, as per my employment agreement my notice period is of 90 days. However, I have given the notice for 30 days due to medical reason and is having medical certificate and all the prescriptions. But my employer is not accepting my resignation, I have also told my employer that I am ready to buyout my resignation period but on this thing also employer is not accepting my resignation. They are pushing me to either complete my notice period or go on sabbatical for 1 year. I have clearly inform them due to medical reason I am not being able to continue nor I want to go for sabbatical, as I am not clear how much time I require from recovering. But still my employer is not listening.
I wanted to know, what are my legal rights, can employer deny acceptance of resignation though it is due to medical reason? Secondly, what legal action employer can take if I don't serve the complete notice period?
Thirdly, whether it should be right on my part to just leave the laptop in the office and walkway like this only?
Fourthly, can I sue the employer for harassing me mentally by not accepting the resignation?
Regards
Rahul

From India, Delhi
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Rahul,
Most of the employers include clause of separation in the appointment letter itself. In most of the appointment letters it is stated that employer reserves the right to accept the payout in lieu of the unfulfilled notice period. Therefore, you may check the provisions of the appointment letter.
By the way, what exactly is the diagnosis? Your employer could be little suspicious about disease and could be suspecting that medical reasons are nothing but a ploy to tide over the condition of serving of the notice period. Hence their refusal or coming up with the alternative for sabbatical.
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Anonymous
Dear Dinesh,
I am using my husband profile for writing up in this forum.
There is a gynae related issue which is going on and there is a medical history also wherein 2 year back there was a miscarriage and at that time I was in my current organisation. Further, I am having all the medical records, prescriptions & certificate (wherein I have been told to take complete rest and no stress).
Further, in my appointment letter there is no clause for buyout. However, in the company policy it is written that
'If you resign during your employment with company, you agree to give the Company notice according to your employment agreement. If you do not give the required notice, you will not be formally relieved from the services of the company and will be deemed as absconding employee. Company will further deduct short notice period money from your full and final settlement owed to you'
If in such a situation if I join some other company what legal action they can take against me and my new employer. Further, if I indemnify to my new employer that I will be responsible for any legal action, then in that case will there be any issue.
Regards
Rahul

From India, Delhi
nathrao

Medical certificate with diagnosis and treatment can be produced to the company and ask for release.
Couple it offer of buying out notice period (if required)
What stops you from going on sabbatical for one year?
You claim to be medically unfit and if really unfit will not be looking for another job, then the offer of sabbatical is attractive.
""I wanted to know, what are my legal rights, can employer deny acceptance of resignation though it is due to medical reason?""
Have you produced the medical certificate, diagnosis and likely duration of medical unfitness etc.
A company cannot force someone to work if he is genuinely medically unfit.They can be taken to task legally, which off course is time consuming and expensive process.Company doctor may challenge the diagnosis and delay the whole legal proceedings etc.
If you do not complete notice period as per appointment letter -company can file a suit for recovery of NP pay, put your name in NASSCOM list and refuse experience certificate etc.
""Thirdly, whether it should be right on my part to just leave the laptop in the office and walkway like this only?""
It would be absolutely wrong and can lead to claims of loss of laptop/theft of laptop.
Has to be returned properly and receipt of laptop with sl no ,date and proper acknowledgement of authorised official.
Do not get carried away and think courts are the remedy for all problems.
Right to sue exists but proving things in a court is not easy and expensive.
Approaching court should be always last resort and when no choice is there.
I suggest meeting higher officials of the company and explain your issues and ask for release.court is no solution for this problem where company will cast doubts on your medical condition and state that you have not fulfilled terms of release as per agreement.
Discuss the matter with a local advocate dealing in labour law for a mutually agreeable solution.

From India, Pune
khushva
Dear Mr. Rao
I am using my husband profile for writing up in this forum.
There is a gynae related issue which is going on and there is a medical history also wherein 2 year back there was a miscarriage and at that time I was in my current organisation. Further, I am having all the medical records, prescriptions & certificate (wherein I have been told to take complete rest and no stress).
Further, in my appointment letter there is no clause for buyout. However, in the company policy it is written that
'If you resign during your employment with company, you agree to give the Company notice according to your employment agreement. If you do not give the required notice, you will not be formally relieved from the services of the company and will be deemed as absconding employee. Company will further deduct short notice period money from your full and final settlement owed to you'
If in such a situation if I join some other company what legal action they can take against me and my new employer. Further, if I indemnify to my new employer that I will be responsible for any legal action, then in that case will there be any issue.
Regards
Rahul

From India, Delhi
nathrao

Respected Madam,
Whatever I understand from the additional information given by you is that they will declare you as absconding and deduct short notice period for Final settlement.
The old company cannot take action against new employer in any way.
Only issue which is not clear is you are using medical grounds to leave the old company saying you are unfit but still wanting to join new company.
The tag of absconder may stick to you and NASSCOM maintains some such register.
Blacklisting in nasscom using nsr it pin
How the new company will take your unhappy departure from old company is not known.You have to think of that and keep them in the loop.
So take due care and take actions after advice from a lawyer who deals in labour cases.
Wish you best of health.

From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear friend,
The last paragraph of your replies posted as Sl No 3 and 5 read "If in such a situation if I join some other company what legal action they can take against me and my new employer. Further, if I indemnify to my new employer that I will be responsible for any legal action, then in that case will there be any issue."
If you are medically unfit to execute the duties of your current job, then you should be medically unfit to execute duties of your immediate future job as well. Your earlier query was on two counts. One is non-acceptance of the letter of resignation and second one permission for the early exit. However, your replies at these two places brings contradiction to the fore. This contradiction has not gone unnoticed and your current employer was able to see through it. Hence their denial to curtail the notice period or even to accept the resignation itself. They consider medical reasons as an eyewash for the early exit.
As far as abandonment of the duties is concerned, it is a too risky option. With this option, you will not be provided unblemished relieving letter or it may not be provided at all. Either option will nullify your tenure at the current company. Therefore, prudence demands completion of the notice period and have an honourable exit.
As far as indemnification of the future employer is concerned, there is no need to worry on that count. Your employment is a matter between you (as an employee) and your current employer. Your future employer is a third party. Therefore, for any wrongdoing(s) of the employee, liabilities cannot be passed on to the third party or any other party for that matter.
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
khushva
Dear Mr. Rao Yes I am using my medical ground for reliving from my current organization. Regards
From India, Delhi
nathrao

The company has seen through it and are using their tactics which is supported by terms and conditions of Appointment order.
Chances are that old company may give you a relieving letter with observations on your type of exit etc.
NO employer will be happy in such cases.
Think and act in a manner that it does not affect your employment chances.

From India, Pune
khushva
Hi,
Can my employer issue show cause notice or terminate even after giving resignation?
Further, shall I approach to National Commission of Women as they are harassing me mentally or to District labour commissioner to intervene in this manner?
Regards

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.