globaloverseas144

Dear ,
I agree with Mr. Sharma,this was happened with my organisation too,
Finally we decided to switch off our lights/PC etc at 6.00pm,incase there is any urgent works then we had to take approval from MD.
After one months we see the some delays but finally we achieved the target and we used to complete all the works before office times ends.
Best REgards
Sajid Ansari

From India, Delhi
shompa81
Thanks. Most recent one person in my office coming late. After my asking he told his wife is carring. So he will be late for next 3 months. But i think he should mention his maximum coming time. He don't do so. I think others will be take this type of opportunity in next. So please suggest me all.
From Bangladesh, Dhaka
devendrapatel13
Dear,
to analyse data of late going, try to find out resons for late sitting and then do positive confrontation with their immidiate supervisors or their HODs. and also convey staff members' feelings with their boss.may be as team you can find out reasonable solution as win-win solution.
you can also make policy as to allow staff members to come late and to go early (Half Day) twice in a month by taking permission of his boss.

From India, Ahmadabad
CoachDebora
Are they coming in late after working late or just coming in late? Have you talked to them about the impact of coming in later, customer calls don't get answered, they let their team down, others don't get the information they need to move forward etc? Having the feedback conversation of "your behavior causes this to happen" can help to resolve problems.
I remember even working 24 hour shifts at the end of quarters, mostly because I believed in the project, was committed to the company and wanted to be a part of the results. In the US current studies indicate that only 29% of employees are engaged, it is an everyday effort to lift the spirit of engagment. Good for you to reaching out to resources for improvement, all questions are taken seriously. Hope that offers some help. Warmly, Debora

From United States, Nashua
dennis.kong25

I do agree with mksharma63 – “management and managers are afraid of dealing with such defaulters strictly to buy temporary peace (?), than it affects the morale of other disciplined employees.” Just as many cases in organisation, the senior management also look who they are dealing with, if he/she has a strong influential background.

In my organisation, late comers are norm – somehow middle management and below are the one; some come in early to punch their cards and left to somewhere. Senior management does know the case but nothing has been commented – everyone wants to be Mr/Mrs/Ms NICE.

In my organisation, some are late due to work at night (it’s necessary sometime as in the case in Telco Service Provider) to attend or troubleshoot unforeseen technical problem/s. I do agree to give those on duty at night an exception reason for being late in the next morning. I, myself have tried it before to accompany them to work at night (odd working hours) and I found that my normal sleeping time was altered and disturbed – sometime really hard and difficult to get into a peaceful sleep after the night duty. There was even circumstance; we worked for more than 24 hours just to get the job done. Some may ask why not seek for replacement after 8 hours, well, in technical side (probably just Telco only), it take time and difficult to explain or brief the other group (replacement) about:

1. What is the probable cause of alarm,

2. What has been done to overcome thus far,

3. What they need to continue from what we left off.

Anywhere, I think all matters have to depend on situation and the type of industry you are into. Most importantly, top management has to be rigid and firm at all time or else employees will take their chances to abuse.

From Brunei Darussalam, Bandar Seri Begawan
parvezpasta@gmail.com

Pooja
1. See most of the industries have to face this problem. first of all you have to prepare the Job description of all your employees with the consult of your dept. heads. after assigning proper work distribution it will take lesser time to complete. Thus, they will not have to stay for long hours and will come in time.
2. QUESTION : your company is paying over time or not?
If yes then you can say that company is paying overtime for your
extram working hours.
regards,
Parvez Pasta

From India, Ahmadabad
Sandipika
We also have same problem here but then we really empathize with the suffered employee and ask the department head to justify with a written reason. In case the reason is genuine we make the employee understand the necessity of the situation & end up saying this place is like your home & you have to think about it. I think it is all about EQ.

Be well
sandipika

From India, Gurgaon
boss2966

Dear Pooja
Daily Morning coming to Office on time is Discipline and if they are unable to complete the task allotted to them it shows their inefficiency. Even if the efficient employees due to some unavoidable reasons if they stay late night may be due to auditing or inspection they can be given compensatory off or they may be instructed to come for work at 14.00 hrs next day, if permissible. One more thing, If they work in late night it shows their dedication towards their work and company which will be taken care of by the company during the appraisal time.
If they work in late night hours it is not an excuse to come late for duty.
This is my opinion. If you feel it is wrong, please revert back.
With Warm regards,
S. Bhaskar

From India, Kumbakonam
mithunbis2001
Hi pooja...

I just went thru all those arguments and counter arguments ,all blame games etc...without going into the type of industry/organisation etc..let me share my thoughts and experiences..
First of all it will be very wrong to say as an HR fellow "that I've never asked you to sit late" Please!! it is every bodys company thats why we call it an organization.The system does not run on individual commands, desires ,wishes and likings. you cannot disown your employee nor can u dissociate urself from him. u are on the contrary ,at the centre of the mayhem..think rationaly,u may/may not agree with me.But ,thats the fact.
Now coming to the point of late coming,first the employee have to understand that due to excegencies and unavoidable reasons he/she may have to sit late,if u r compensating him for that it is not at all an issue,thats what we practice in our organization.so the employee has nothing to complain.everything gets resolved due to the monetary benefits associated with it. if the employee is sitting late just because he was not able to put up the show due to his lazyness or whatever may be the reason,its his responsibility to finish up the game and report back to office in time the next day.

I would suggest you to talk with the employee and explain to them ,their ownership of the organisation/the responsibility each one bears on his/her shouders.It is this sense of ownership of work/responsibility that makes the employee,self answerable. No one is a kid out there,it is a meticulously carved out system that inculcates the habit of owning the responsibility of anything. You at the mayhelm have to win their confidence,at first,do not be arrogant,be a friend,hear them,lend your shoulders to them to cry on,and then you imbibe in them the culture that u want them to cultivate. Arrogancy and rigidness only makes things bitter for both the parties,u r there to facilitate and not dictate.
Having said so,it is equally important to note that inspite of all the good practices ,there may be some who will always falter/try to take advantage of ur politeness/friendship,they need to be told in a clear and loud voice ur strictness and discipline. u need to have a carrot and a stick..

so,if the next time the employee sits late due to official reasons,ask him to be on time at the first instant,(if u r following monetary benefuts ,no withstanding late coming). if u r allowing the person to come late, only give half an hour for doing so.
If the person is sitting late due to his faults,there should be no ground for compassionate feelings.

with regards,
M.Biswas

Samsung Heavy Industries

From Korea
smita_prakash
This is an interesting discussion. Almost everyone agrees that if a person stays back late for his personal reasons or inefficiency then the person shouldn;t use that as an excuse to come late the next day. Otherwise its okay to make some allowances.
But I would like to ask how are you going to decide whether the person stayed back late because of his/her own inefficiency ,or stayed back late because of their seniors inefficiency or was stuck in office for late hour because of some genuine unexpected emergency ? This will only lead to arguments.
If you notice a person coming in late very frequently, try talking to this employee and also the supervisor of this employee. Blunt statements like "I never asked you to stay late” or making judgments on the efficiency of the employee in question is not a right approach. Only the employee's immediate boss will be in a position to do so. If you notice people from a team being late, you can go and talk to the supervisor.
Often some employees don't come on time because they don't get any recognition for maintaining office hours. Others who come late and stay a little late take credit for putting extra effort .So the ones who actually did come on time get put off. To encourage people to come on time - announce a prize or other incentive. Besides unless there's a strict company policy on in-time, try and understand that these days its about flexi timings and as long as an employee manages his/her work fine (which his supervisor will take care of), it’s okay

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.