No Tags Found!

unusual_indu

Hi Rahul
Thank you very much for your comments .Honestly speaking now when I look back at this decision I find some rationale which formed the base for such a decision but initially I had sleepless nights thinking about the other candidate whom I did not select .I also had to face a lot of questions from the management side as well as from the training department as to why I did not select him.
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
karenafonso
On a moral stand point, I believe that if you are comfortable with the decision you made, then it must be a good one.
Now i'm going to be really blunt:
However, from the point of view of the business, I think that you definitely failed. You are employed by your organisation not to be empathetic to candidates, BUT to employ the BEST PERSON for the job, and the organisation trusts you not to compromise on that. Once a part of the organisation, sure, be empathetic to the employees.
You probably could have sought another opening or looked at other functions with your BPO to place the other person you let go.
You never will know now, the person might have taken your organisation to greater heights. You made an error, now Live with it and learn from it...

From India, Mumbai
unusual_indu

Hi Karena

Thank you for your comments.From the organisations point of view I believe I have not done a mistake because the person I recruited performed beyond our expectations and is still performing.The decision I took was discussed with the management and after the inital hiccups management was convinced on this decision .I am still in a doubt as to whether I did injustice to the person with good communication skills ?.

But if you say that I have done a mistake and I have to live with it then perhaps I have to.

If I face a similar situation I will remember your advice but then again I will never stop listening to what my intuitions say.If we just select or reject people only based on their abilities then even a machine can do that .Take two candidates give them a questionnaire ask them to answer based on the results make your selction .Why do you need an HR professioanal then ?.An HR professional is the person who needs to probe into areas like what does the candidate expect from the company ,where does he think he can fit in the organisation etc and if his expectations meet with the expectations of the organisation then and only then we can recruit him/her.

Thanks and Regards

Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
sreekumar.j

Hi Indu,
You made a right decision..so please don't repent.
I would say, there is an implicit relation between needs of a person and performance. The other guy who had tried to negotiate with you on the basis of offer in hand has given 90% weightage to money and 10% to work in your company. Since he is a 'perfect' guy interms of industry specific skills, poachers can easily motivate him to jump the company, where as the person with average skills needs to improve his skills before such moves. Also the learning support and empathy shown on him might have developed sort of commitment towards the company and if the company can provide right kind of environment for growth ( careful nurturing is required), that person would be an asset your company for a long period.
best of luck
Sreekumar.J

From India, Bangalore
karenafonso
Indu, I didn’t mean to be harsh, but I told you exactly what I thought was wrong. I don’t understand though, how does negotiating a pay package make a good candidate a bad one?
From India, Mumbai
unusual_indu

Hi Sreekumar
Thank you for your comments.I have posted this topic on the HR community because only a an experienced HR professional can empathise with me .I have discussed this out with my friends who are working as call centre agents but they failed to understand the dilemma.
Keep posting
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
Amith R Murthy

Hi Indu,
I think as Rahul as pointed out we need to study the attitude and also the salary that they will be looking out for. This would probably help us a little to Judge how long can stay.
Regards
Amith R.

From India, Bangalore
unusual_indu

Hi Karena
You were not harsh or rude at all.The problem with typing mails is you cannot express your correct state of mind always(my personal opinion) :)
The person negotiating out on his salary did not make him bad .Capabilitywise he was always good .But when I told him that I was not in a position to revise his offer he reluctantly said "yes" but that put a questionmark on his stability .I had doubts on 1) whether he will at all join 2)whether he will stick around for a long period ? I must add to this that we used to provide free voice and accent training to all the new recruits for 1.5 months ,so it would cost us a lot if after tarining he left the company and hence I labelled him as a "doubtful but good candidate"
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
anu_1259

Hi Indu
I have read some of the comments and I feel everyone is right in their respective views.
You said that the guy u hired have improved on his skills. that's very good for the company. If everyone starts looking for the best, then where will be the average ones go. And also there should be scope for improvement.
U mentioned that the other guy reluctantly said yes when u offered him the job. So there was a chance that he would have left whenever he got a new one.
So I think you took the right decision
regards
Anuradha

From India, Delhi
viswanathp

Indu
You have done a great job by giving a offer to a person who is really in need of job. I feel thats how a HR should act.
If the person lie you its just to get the job not for any thing else.
:) :) :) :) :) Simply Great Job :) :) :)

From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.