No Tags Found!

avsjai

Why Companies Aren't Getting the Employees They Need ?
The artcle from The Wall Steet Journal' can be seen using the below likn:
Why Companies Can't Find the Employees They Need - WSJ.com
__________________________________________________ _______
AVS

From India, Madras
M.J.SUBRAMANYAM

Dear AVS,

One reason is the education system we have. Many of the courses are not need based. They have to see to future and asses the future trend and explore areas which will have demand in future. Accordingly courses have to designed and trained. Second, the younger generation, with the exception of a few, are not evincing interest in learning and digesting the course modules. Most of the students are whiling away their time in useless activities or preparation is exam oriented only. As NRN Murthy has recently said, thanks to IIT tuition coaching classes, they pass the exam in flying colours, but thinking capacity/creativity is not developed in them. They lack social skills, right attitude. Most of the youngsters are aggressive, hungry for promotion and lack right communication skills. (Mere good in speaking English is not good). For every small achievement they look forward to incentives/bonuses/celebration, etc. Motivation should come from internally. Too much dependance on external motivation will spoil the organisation climate.

The best thing is to look in them basic things and then having absorbed in the company, the company should give right training and create an atmosphere in the company to groom them to their requirements. Mere aping the foreign styles, culture, etc. for everything will not do any good. In this regard, one has to learn from the Japanese. Our work culture has to improve. Many IT companies give lot of freedom to their employees, but it is many times misused by youngsters.

M.J. SUBRAMANYAM, BANGALORE

From India, Bangalore
avsjai

Dear M.J Subramanyam
Thank you for your nice observations.I fully agree with you.
When we accept everything fast,such as Fast Food,Fast Track,Fast Communication etc,one to accept the situation as it is. The present system of education looks like irreversible.
As you have rightly poined out,motivation has to happen from within. Many top management people are very expertise,but are not experts. The culture of the organisation depends on them.
Please use the below link to see one of post explaining the situation:
https://www.citehr.com/311398-expert...vs-s-desk.html
AVS
__________________________________________________ ____________________

From India, Madras
neel.chowbal

When the HR of a company recruits, they interview the person for a few sessions. In these sessions the candidate puts in his best appearance and manners and makes it appear that he is the right person for the right job!!!

Later, when the candidate does not come up to the expectation of the company, they realise they picked the wrong guy!!!!

As an employer i cannot change the 'past' of the employee i.e. i cannot blame his upbringing or is education, his lifestyle nor can i blame the society or the educational system because i too have gone through the same society and the same educational system!!!

Coming to the question, the solution for HR, in my opinion, is not merely to interview the candidate in a closed room environment but to study him/her in certain situations which would be in tune with the job he/she would be required to do? That way we could reduce the chance of selecting the unfit candidate and repenting later!!!

Of course we should not encroach into the personal space on the candidate also or else he/she may sue the company!! Probably the company could amend the recruitment policy to bring in this rule which could allow them to observe the employees under situations they were like to encounter at work. Once this policy is made the company could get certain level of freedom in assessing the candidate.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mr. Neelratna Chowbal

From India, Bangalore
skhadir

Dear All,

Its not just about the EDUCATION SYSTEM but also, its associated with individuals PERCEPTION & EXPECTATION levels, and changing MARKET TRENDS, INFLATION affecting COST OF LIVING, COMPETITIVE RACE. A human being's EXPECTATIONS doesn't have any LIMIT nor we are trying to live CONTENDED LIFE.

I being an INDIAN, i would like to blame INDIAN CULTURE which is reflected @ WORK PLACE(PROFESSIONAL LIFE).

For example, my organisation needs ELECTRICAL / MECHANICAL / HVAC TECHNICIANS/ENGINEERS, PLUMBERS etc. We are into FACILITIES MANAGEMENT catering all GOVT. ORGANISATIONS. that includes OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS, COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS & HOUSING(APARTMENTS, VILLA'S). The requirement is proportional to the client's requirement and the contract we are serving. Our client's wants EDUCATED/QUALIFIED/EXPERIENCED STAFF. But, the problem we are facing is that,

1) QUALIFIED ENGINEERS having experience above 5+ years are LACKING SOFT SKILLS, BUSINESS COMMUNICATION SKILLS - LETTER/REPORT DRAFTING, SUPERVISORY SKILLS, LEADERSHIP SKILLS, TEAM BUILDING SKILLS, TIME MANAGEMENT SKILLS.

2) TECHNICIANS are LACKING TECHNICAL SKILLS, HOUSEKEEPING SKILLS, COMMUNICATION SKILLS(at least @ BASIC LEVEL will do)

3) PROFESSIONAL ATTITUDE is completely missing.

If we really want our coming generation to live a better life, it should start with us because YOUNGSTERS LEARN FROM ELDERS and ELDERS needs to change themselves as they play a VITAL ROLE.

ELDERS can be co-related with our PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL LIFE(SUPERIORS, TOP MANAGEMENT)

With profound regards

From India, Chennai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.