aussiejohn

In organisations I have worked for, we had a small morning tea on the last day of each month for the people who had birthdays that month. Each staff member was requested to bring a small offering of food to be shared.
Things like this help to foster team spirit and in a smaller company, a chance for all members to get together. In a larger company, it may be easier to do this on a branch or division basis.
It may be necessary to issue a friendly notice to tell people that expecting others to provide birthday treats is to stop immediately or management will withdraw the privilege of celebrating birthdays in the office. They are adults and should be able to work it out.

From Australia, Melbourne
AshokMot
I have experienced many times anything management starts for employees, it is assumed that it is a privilege for employees. Does management verify this that their assumption is correct? They (mgmt) spend a lot of time and money but I know from my experience that front line employees do not consider it as a \"value add\" for them.
Unless internal customer of management team (front line employees) is satisfied and happy, all such efforts do not deliver the expected results. My 2 cents worth.

From United States, Saint Albans
Inki
Dear Elsa,
I think the practise is a good one.
Try to see whether the company can provide the employee's wish as a gift - a surprise.
Always there will be people who would not agree with all these things - but if majority agrees the continue the same - coz others value this.
May be you can ask from the group that disagrees for their opinion - what do they want differently?
Best Regards,
Inki

From Sri Lanka
dbalmahe
Dear All , This is a good practice for getting employees together & celebrate. I Dont think t should be call off. Regards
From India, Pune
kmkumar07@gmail.com
Wishing an employee on his birthday is certainly a good practise
If the wishing is publicly made then the idea is that others too should wish him
It is only customary that friends nag him /her for a treat.
The best idea would be the person who is being wished on his birthday should keep a sign on his desk. Thanks for your good wishes - no gifts please !. It will convey that he is in no mood to give a treat.

From India, Bangalore
kmkumar07@gmail.com
The person who is being wished on his birthday can put up a sign on his desk "Thanks for your good wishes - No Gifts please". This shall convey that he is no mood to give a treat.
From India, Bangalore
prasad p k

cake cutting is a good initiative but when emplyees are not happy to celebrate their birthday so that they need to give treat then it is not a good HR activity. Best is to give a chocalate along with a birthday greetings through concered HOD. If the candidate is interested to give treat to his subordinates then he can take initiative by informing it to HOD, and HOD will decide when, where and how to give.
Regards
Prasad & Mallikarjun
HR Officers

From India
valisarkar@gmail.com
Dear Elsa,
I strongly belives that this is a very good intiative. These type of activities will integrate and motivate all employees a feeling of togetherness in any organization .
if you any challenges in this regard the shift like this : (if possible)
1. Celebrate your employees birthday party at neary by disabled school /orphanage home etc and imbibe social feeling
2. Ask your birthday buddies to roll out (they have to invovle in planning and execution ) one CSR initative with the support of your CSR-TEAM for your targeted audiance and build the brand image of your organization.
Regards,
sarkar

From India, Hyderabad
Gopaljha

Birthday celebration is a good idea. But there may be some shy employees who may not want the cake cutting etc. In my opinion, a nice birthday card with all the signatures of the department wishing a happy birthday can be given and sweets can be distributed, of course at the expense of the company.
From India, Delhi
raasshmi
Dear Elsa,
In my organization, we celebrate employees birthday by cutting the cake at the end of the month. The company also arranges for snacks and soft drinks.
And what the employees do on their b'day is distribute sweets or ice cream. This has become a custom at the organization, and the employee too does not feel the burden of the party.
Regards,
Rashmi

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.