Ash Mathew

I have assumed that it is not HER appraisal that we are all talking about - its about the "appraisal system"
From India, Madras
sgworld
Hi Nithya. Your boss's appraisal is vitiated in that he hasn't involved you in the process. It is a process short-circuit and you have every reason to question it if you fee that any of your subordinates has not been given a fair deal. No doubts about this at all since you have been with the organisation for over a year. Since you say your boss is supportive, engage him in a pow-wow and point out to him that a re-appraisal with your inputs would be in order and if you carry him with your thoughts on this, you have your day!
All the best, Ganesan

From India, Bangalore
nithya_hr

Dear all ,
First of all My hearty thanks to one and all who have given your inputs and suggestion.

The appraisal of my team and myself is the topic here !!

Actually , My Boss has discussed with me on every one's performance levels. He provided the appreciation certificates for all the good performers. I got an certificate for " Outstanding Team Management Skills ". Then he asked me to rate the appraisal of hike to all my team members and i did the same . And after that my boss called me and told i have given too high rates so he ask me to do an research on market of appraisal rates of one year completion. I did the same and sent him an fresh ratings for all my team members. he told that he will give ratings for me. And after that he told my second rating report look fine.. and he never called me for meeting for discussing the same .

After 10 days he informed me that appraisal process is complete and is effective from October , 09.

I Do not want to get back to my boss on this. As Ash Mathew suggested me to wait and see.. and go ahead to communicate for any changes to be done. So i have decided to wait till we all receive the letters.

From India, Madras
rameshbashyam@yahoo.com

hi nithya,

thanks for the update. I guess the issue was as a greenhorn, you didn't want to hurt any of your subordinates and gave all of them good grades. in a management system, we all
know that it's not possible - there will be outstanding performers and weak ones.

maybe that's why your boss would have wanted to do it without you, because you can't go back and now downgrade any one - there will be a judgement call and too many unanswered questions (the most important is what prompted you to change the grades, if you choose to do so and certainly bad blood). what he has done now is covered you up so if any adverse remark comes up, the team will know that it's the boss' call. and no one dare raise a voice against the boss.

when I queried about the feedback it was more to do with the system used. new ones come with the latest trends - I certainly wasn't interested in individual reports. we all have our differences of opinion with our teams. on a scale of 5, when I gave 5 out of 5, my immediate boss would give me 4 and his boss would retain it or downgrade it to 3 based on perception. so everyone has an axe to grind.

we generally waited for the third quarter to give our reports/analysis of our immediate bosses and their bosses. the strange thing was we had good rapport with our immediate bosses with a cool one with his boss. any report we gave to our immediate boss would reflect on the branch head. so we had to be doubly careful to not disturb the cart.

sometimes the overriding feeling was to give a damning report of the head and the score from the external agency would be too bad and the President himself flew in a couple to understand the real issues, which enabled us to rationalise and be objective in our appraisal

From India, Madras
silindileb

Hi all
Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am under the impression that a person's boss needs to sit with the employee discuss the reasons for the final rating before it is effected. In your case Nithya I believe even though you only have one year experience but your boss should have at least discussed your rating with you. my suggestion is that you speak to him, find out what was the reason for tyou to ber excluded in the process.
silindileb

From South Africa
suruchi_sood

Nithya,
Its generally observed that its preferable to 1)Involve only few persons in appraisal process and,
2)Moreover involove persons who have been already there and working on the same for few years. Reson could be that they know all the employees and their reporting structures and the past appraisals and do have data related to that. In the cases when management asks different reports in different formats with past data and records they can produce the same easily without much effort amd time in comparison to a new employee.
so keeping these points in mind he must have found himself comfortable with old employees and only to avoid having too many persons involved he has not asked you to be in the team.
so do'nt worry and wait for your share of reward...

From India, Meerut
V K Malhotra
If it is mandatory as per your company rules to involve, then he should have.
However, to my mind you seem to be too much senstive on a very minor issue right at the very early stage of your career.
You better have a free and frank discussion with your boss directly, with a positive attitude.
Do not let this issue affect your day to day working- which you should discharge with full diligence and sincerity. Best of luck and good wishes for future.

From India, Mumbai
Raj Kumar Hansdah

There are certain appraisal systems, where consultation or concurrence of the appraisee is not required.
In such a system there is no scope for self-appraisal (which needs the signature of the appraisee), no performance review discussion (which again, needs the signature of the appraisee) etc.
In the absence of such an appraisal system, the boss is perfectly right in not consulting the reportee.

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.