Raj Kumar Hansdah

Dear Anand Please go and watch "Chak De India" ! apart from what others have said, can you provide your employees with a "sense of purpose" ? Regards.
From India, Delhi
Trinity-Morpheus

I have worked for small to mid sized company and what i did or proposed is as under:

Staffing: While recruiting anyone (best of best) i had the following USP's

1. Small team - has a family like environment

2. Technical expertise - means you can have a larger share of work thereby increasing your learning at various methods / techniques, which ideally wont happen in big companies where you are restricted to a expertise or area.

3. Appraisals / Review: happens purely on performance because being a smaller setup ppl are observing you and not just your manager.

4. Niche segment - The org operates in a niche segement and has been cpabale enoough to bag new projects consistently

5. Stability Index: share withthe prospective employee the mentioned index and prove it out to him that the stability is more comapred to other companies (big)

6. Engagement activities: Brief him about the EE activities run by the org and the benefits the emp gains out of it. (gettting certifications / picnics / R & R prgs / celeberations etc...)

The point is to sell the org in a professional way and in the most accurate way of getting the USP's you have for your company across.

Retention:

1. Individual attention - Advantage of being a small firm

2. Rigourous attempt by the HR to reach emp statisfaction by conducting biannual ESAT and working toward the indicators observed during it.

3. Grieviance resolution: Immediate within 24hours of being raised.

4. You can add (if you have) emergency leave procedure. Wherein a emp if hospitailsed could get leaves over and above the leaves allocated to him.

4. Mediclaim + Accident policy : We take care of you when you are ill and take care of your family when you are not there.

5. Internal HR actvities which encourage ppl towards teamwork and build lasting relationship with each and everyone.

6. Emp consensus: Making emps a party to decesion making affecting them directly.

etc etc etc

From United Kingdom, London
hr practitioner
Anand

I would suggest going through all the recent exit interview questionnaires, if you do not use them please implement them straight away.

Whilst I agree to what most of the suggestions posted by the members above there is more than meets the eye for a practical problem like this. You may have to do a bit of homework

Make sure your salaries are on par with the big players

Make sure the benefit structures are in line with the appraisals e.g proper increment plans etc.

make sure there are enough low budget employee welfare benefit plans like health insurance, extra holiday buy out plans linked to continuous service etc.

If interested to implement the above you may have to revisit your Reward structure. If you discover that the salary/package structure is equivalent to your competitors the problem could be something else othet than renumeration and you should tread carefully to deal with the crux of the issue like a problematic/bullying manager etc. One way of dealing with this is regular (ideally quaterly) Employee satisfaction survey which could be a confidential survey.

I believe that you don't have to shell out extra bucks to make an employee feel a part of the team - none of the big players out there are going to spend their time celebrating b'days of the team! I am not contradicting it but I am not in full support of it either. Remember you cannot stop a job hopper to whom grass is always greener on the other side!!

From India, Hyderabad
Sharad Shah

"You can buy a person’s hands but you can’t buy his heart. His heart is where his enthusiasm, his loyalty, his dedication, his love is. It needs to win."
From India, Ahmadabad
Sharad Shah

To travel in the outer world "DOING" is the key, but to travel in the inner world "BEING" is the key.
From India, Ahmadabad
Dr Marc Clark

Work at creating a company culture that is inviting, open, professional, innovative and creative. Establish a strong training and educational process. Ensure that your entire team supports your on-boarding agenda and works diligently to make it happen.
Most of all, be a company with integrity and strong values. You will stand out from the average.
Dr. Marc
PS 63:7

From United States, Calhoun
s_shalu

Dear Hr practitioner,

Celebrating b'days or important ocassions is not just the end.It could be one of the ways though. I wish you could have read my post with an open mind!

Firstly, I believe Mr. Anand is actually needing some assistance w.r.t to small setup. Giant players in the market like L&T and others- who have been benchmarked for their hr practices like performance appraisal etc, are still following iti.e the practice of celebrating birthdays of employees once a month!! there is no dearth of such companies - who sponsor events of get togethers(one day picnics) so that more rapport could be built! and who said it has to be an elaborate event!!???. a quiz or inter departmental quiz could be organised. I do wish that this time you are able to get the gist of this post.

@ Mr. Sharad Shah, I did state that close knitted environment should be a given a thought about and I believe it can only happen when you a good understanding and connect with employees! I hope this is what was intended , if not, then kindly put forth more views.

I agree with Dr.Marc's views.

From India, Vadodara
Sharad Shah

Dear Shaliniji;

Love;

On the basis of one or two symptoms like headache or fever, one can not diagnose Swine Flue and start prescribing medicines. My reply is just a general reply out of common sense only. I simply gave some general solution to the general question.

I am not a man from HR but closely associated with several small and medium scale companies and providing them consultancy in the area of marketing, patent registration and setting up a new project in the area of food processing and tourism.

During my years of experience with the SMEs, I worked with successful and failure companies and also analyzed the reasons of their failure or success. And to my observation the main reason is the mind set of the top management or the promoter.

If there is a high rate of employees’ turnover, the mind set of the management is more responsible rather than the HR policy. As such all policies are approved by them. And if they are not visionary people the HR can not do any thing as no HR personnel will prefer to debate or conflict with the top management. Hence being a consultant, I always prefer to help, provided the problem is realized by the management.

Secondly I have observed some people throw a hypothecated problem or situation, just to carry on discussion on it and enjoy reading others mind and views. If it is a part of learning process, I do welcome it. But if it is just for fun, or to keep others busy, will not yield good result. I wish people participate here with good intensions.

His Blessings;

Sharad Shah

From India, Ahmadabad
s_shalu

Mr. Sharad,
I completely support your views! I just intended to have more clarification and so asked you. Well, your 2nd observation is quite true as well. Also, at times I have even observed problems or issues being literally picked up from other forums and replicated here - having same words,commas..copy 2 copy.
Nevertheless,thanks for sharing your views.Indeed,root cause has to be found first and then other things should follow.
I hope by now Mr. Anand would have got plenty of ideas in his mind. and we all would be glad to finally read his concluding comments.

From India, Vadodara
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.