Akanksha_shaily
Hello, I want to create a feedback form to be filled by the manager of the participant after the employee has undergone the training. This can be a month after the employee has undergone the training. This will be used to check the effectiveness of the program from the manager's perspective. If you already have something on this line then do share.
From India, Bengaluru
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Akanksha,
First and the foremost, idea of taking feedback from the manager about improvement in the skill or knowledge of the employee who was nominated for the external training programme is laudable. Very few companies do this. If all the HR Managers start doing this, then it will foster the learning attitude amongst the participants.
I am into the training for more than a decade and I have found that even though the training programme is perfectly applicable to them, many times participants just attend the training for the sake of it. Learning requires devoting one's mind and body. Not many show this devotion.
Coming to your query on the feedback form. Standardisation of the feedback is difficult. This is because the objectives of the training programmes differ. Suppose you nominate your employee from the Purchase department for a public workshop on "Business Writing Skills" and another employee from the same department on "Inventory Management". What are the common points in these two programmes?
In view of this, I recommend you tell the manager to devise the points of the appraisal before and after the training. The nominated employee must be told well in advance on what parameters he/she will be assessed, when he/she will be assessed and who will do this assessment. This clarity will bring seriousness to the learning and the measurement will become effective also.
Lastly, doing such assessment after a month could be too early. The effectiveness of certain training programmes like on Supply Chain Management can be measured only after six months or a year.
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Shailesh Parikh_HR Pro

Dear Akanksha
What you are referring as Manger's feedback is technically "Training Effectiveness Assessment".
1) It is aimed to assess "transfer of learning at workplace"
2)It is always post training, and one month is apparently not adequate time, you should give at least 3 months
3) There should have been efforts/discussion between trainee, his manager and HR/Learning manager to identify deliverable and initiating efforts to implement it, as this will provide conducive environment and active support from the manager.
4) The format should be simple and easy to understand
5) Include quantifiable indicators along with qualitative feedback
Shailesh Parikh
99 98 97 10 65
Vadodara

From India, Mumbai
Nagarkar Vinayak L

Dear Akansha,
The idea of taking feedback from the Manager ,in principle, is welcome step.
But it will add value, in my view, only if the Manager's input is sought on the performance gaps of the concerned employee in the beginning around which training intervention is woven.
Secondly, it may be worthwhile to obtain written feedback of the employee first immediately on completion of the training regarding specifically things learnt and how he is going to use it to perform better.
Besides, his manager has a greater responsibility to reinforce the learnings by giving positive strokes and opportunities to utilize it by holding one to one meeting immediately on his joining duty after completion of the training and working out plan to apply the learnt knowledge/skills and insights on the job.
With this process put in place, giving performance feedback by the manager say after three months will make some sense.
The feedback form may contain, among other things , what the Manager has specifically noticed the changes in attitude, skills and knowledge, application of learnings on the job and behavior modifications if any which can be attributed to the learnings as stated by the employee in his own feedback form.
The training effectiveness will possibly hinge on the processes of identifying performance gaps, developing training content and delivery around it, feedback by the participants on things specifically learnt and insights gained, his plan to apply on the job, Managers giving positive reinforcements and creating opportunities to apply things learnt on the job, noting changes in the performance having bearing on things learnt and then giving meaningful feedback in the form.
These are my thoughts on weighing training effectiveness if this is what you have in mind for devising training feedback form by the Manager.
I am aware ,they are by no means comprehensive but essential bullet points for churning further thoughts.
Vinayak Nagarkar
HR-Consultant

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.