shijit

The biscuit factory story (making assumptions, other people's perspectives, individual needs and motivations)

This is a true story. Some years ago the following exchange was broadcast on an Open University sociology TV programme.

An interviewer was talking to a female production-line worker in a biscuit factory. The dialogue went like this:

Interviewer: How long have you worked here?

Production Lady: Since I left school (probably about 15 years).

Interviewer: What do you do?

Production Lady: I take packets of biscuits off the conveyor belt and put them into cardboard boxes.

Interviewer: Have you always done the same job?

Production Lady: Yes.

Interviewer: Do you enjoy it?

Production Lady: Oooh Yes, it's great, everyone is so nice and friendly, we have a good laugh.

Interviewer (with a hint of disbelief): Really? Don't you find it a bit boring?

Production Lady: Oh no, sometimes they change the biscuits...

following lessons within it:

• Do not impose your own needs and ambitions on to other people who may not share them.

• Don't assume that things that motivate you will motivate someone else.

• Recognise that sources of happiness may vary widely between people.

Regards,

Shijit.

From India, Kochi
abhijitpanda76@gmail.com

hi Srijit
Nice try. howver it has to be little elaborative to make others understandable.
I think we all are judgmental and its based on our past experience. Its very difficult to be nonjudgmental but it is not impossible. Being nonjudgmental is a skill, which can be learned/acquired. we can train ourself to be nonjudgmental. If we can master that, definitely we can treat people as 'people' and also will be a good human being.
Thanks and regards
Abhijit

From India, Bhubaneswar
elavarasan.hr
Hi Shijit Really appreciate You for posting this. ( It looks like a case study which we need really )
From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.