No Tags Found!

nashbramhall

Thanks Balaji for your post explaining the situation in your company. However, it is not clear whether you have also experienced what he is experiencing: that is some sort of resentment against the HR and it's functioning.
From his post, it's also not clear whether he is seeking a solution to his problem (though some have given excellent ideas).
Have a nice day.
Simhan

From United Kingdom
IshitaGulmohar
Dear ThePrence,

You mentioned in your post that your organization started with HR only 3 years back. I have joined a similar organization a week back in the post of HR manager. I would appreciate it if you could help me with the all the policy documents and details of everything that your HR Dept. did to streamline things.

If you could do that, it will be areal help.

You can mail me at

Thanking you.

[QUOTE=ThePrence;1548498]Dear All,

I am looking for straight forward, unbiased opinions on this topic.

BACKGROUND:

I am an entrepreneur running a 50 crore manufacturing and trading unit employing about 70 staff and 100 workers.

It was a family run setup with the MD making all HR and salary decisions and with direct access to most senior staff.

3 years ago we decided to create an HR department as we felt a growing company needed it. We hired an experienced HR manager and an assistant.

My question is :

After 3 years - while we have been able to streamline many of the policies etc. in the company and also streamlined channels of communication - our HR manager is almost universally disliked by majority of the staff. The manager attributes this fact to the cause that she has to implement all the disciplinary policies of the company (late coming, deductions, limits on loans etc.).

From India, Ahmadabad
IshitaGulmohar
Dear V.Balaji,
You mentioned in your post that your organization started with HR only recently. I have joined a similar organization a week back in the post of HR manager. I would appreciate it if you could help me with the all the policy documents and details of everything that your HR Dept. did to streamline things.
If you could do that, it will be a real help.
You can mail me at
Thanking you.

From India, Ahmadabad
Mahavir.Singh

HI Andy
I agree with Yaasmin & sajith Kumar.
its really like resistance towards change. You always creat importence to HR. and show them HR Benifits and services.
Here in this case, I would prefer, the employer should make sure to keep thier faith on them and make them understand that HR is the part of growing responsibilities in the company and not to pplay hinderance role in organisation.

suhas pola
Hi,
It is very difficult to run an organisation with out an HR department especially when we look at the employee turn over/ recruitment/ training/ employee welfare/ statutory compliances etc. I have come across with a similar situation. I was initially in another department of the company and my transfer to HR department was widely accepted by all employees in general. With in a short span of time, issues similar to that Mr. Andy has pointed out, started poping up depicting me as a most "disliked" person. But being an HR professional my endevour was to identify the root-cause and solving the same. The reasons behind the employee's dislike were:

1. They dont want to be guided or ruled either by any person or procedure.
2.They don't like their relationship/ access to the employer being cut.

My employer also initially got disappointed in the manner things turned around and I think they had even thought that their decision of bringing me as HR Head was wrong. But the organisation is with 50 yearsv of existance with its branches across the country and it is impossible to run the show with out an HR dept. THEY WILL HAVE TO SUFFER EITHER ME OR ANY OTHER SIMILAR "DISLIKED" But I went ahead with new policies which includes a lot of welfare schemes and I had put in my best effort to abridge all gaps.

My employer has got many other companies and in one of them they have a very weak HR department. Even after more than 15 years they have no solid policies or guidelines on any of the matters. All the newly joining managers implemented their own policies for one or two years and left. Frequent change in the managers / operating officers lead the company to an administrative paralysis. Finally the management realised the necessity of a strong system and capable HR Professional to take care of the same. Finally I am asked to support them in organising a strong HR Team and lay down guidelines and policies.

There is a solution for solving such "resistances". The following guidelines will of course help you.

1. Give certain defined empowerment to HR Dept.
2. Route always all HR matters through HR Department only.
3. Do not intervene in HR matters unless there is stronger reasons to do so in the interest of the organisation.
4. When they are laying down restrictive policies, let them be the guardian of all employee welfare schemes also.
5. When you are announcing any salary revision let it happen through HR Dept.
6. Announce all welfare schemes through HR department
7. Treat the most "DISLIKED" with dignity.

This will of course solve your issues.

Rgds

shs

permeshwernath

When faced with the uncertainty of a major change effort, employees tend to adopt a ''victim mentality ''. Even if we want to change in our routine food habits for getting certain benefits, imagine how difficult it is to change but once we get the benefits of that change we feel happy about the change as we have come out of that comfort zone. Similarly
under -communication to employees about the new change with lack of clarity of what we have to do, why it is essential, how we are going to accomplish leads to resistance to change. Involving people who matters most and telling through them to the employee that what benefits we all are going to get. People don't resist change if they know what benefits I am going to get out of this change. You can always tell the vision of the company and how they can be part and parcel of this change. There is much more to say .
Permeshwernath

From India, Pune
nashbramhall

Dear Suhas,
Thank you for answering Andy's query and confirming that others also have faced similar responses from the staff, and also for giving sound remedies for overcoming the problem.
Have a nice day.
Simhan

From United Kingdom
anandaundh
Many support functions like HR do not act as the 'support' functions many a times. They tend to dictate certain policies and procedures that create hindrance in the functioning of the 'main' business function. Hence they are disliked by many mainstream employees. HR needs to ensure that their working benefits the business. Also they need to talk to other functions to educate them and set their expectations right.
Anand

From United States, Basking Ridge
pdmatta@gmail.com

Dear sir
I think your your HR department is doing well. your employees dislike them. well think your HR peoples are making only policies. it seems that there is Communication Gap Between your Employees and your HR Department.
There may be some conditions
01 if some of your employee dislike Your HR Department it is ok . it is imposible to make happy to everyone. In Ram Raj Every thing was good but some of them were against them.
02 if majority of your employee dislike them than it is a serious matter. may be your HR wants to make policies then there is some communication Gap
03 it may be possible your old employee did not want any mediater between you and their self.
So handle this matter carefully.
HR department is BACK Bone of any company.
If your HR department is solid Your company will grow smoothly.
otherwise there may be some troubles.
Purushottam Dass Matta
Sr. Executive (Admin & HR)
Contact No 09784595015
EMail :

From India, Alwar
kknair

Dear all, HR is disliked or resented is not a new phenomena. It universally applies with every change, partcularly those changes where rules are laid down or is strictly applied. As the company is expending, there is a need to have formal systems and Rules and regulations. This would be a departure from the days of informality and direct communications. This would bring forth unfair comparison with the days of yore when everbody knew everyone else and communications used to direct and fast. Hence such sentiments are bound to come. But the question remains as to whethe the management feels so? If the HR enjoys the confidence of management, then the next step is to be taken, winning the confidence of employees. HR should take initiative in bettering the services it renders and take proactive steps in some areas like employee development, introduction of welfare schemes. An HR department which does not enjoy employee confidence will not be able to really tackle IR issues and long term interest matters. Hence the situation calls for introspection by HR man as to how he can bring confidence.
From India, Bhopal
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.