No Tags Found!

Bob Gately

Hello Swapna:
>I recruited a candidate as per the company requirements.<
Are you a recruiter or the hiring manager?
>After a month my manager come to me saying that the candidate's performance is poor and asked me on what basis did i select the candidate.<
If you are the hiring manager, why did you make him a job offer?
If you are not the hiring manager, why did the hiring manager make him a job offer?
>Pls suggest me what further steps i need to take in solving this issue<
When a new hire fails to perform his job satisfactorily it is a clear indication that the screening process needs to be fixed.
If you send me an email, see email address below, with "Send Two Reports" as the subject, I'll send you two reports that will be very helpful. Please do not send an email on citehr since I don't check my inbox on citehr.

From United States, Chelsea
manusharma
hi,read ur problem.Recruiting is a very chancy affair.One brief meeting is simply not enough to gauge a person, especially his personal attributes like loyalty,capacity for hard work,integrity etc.Nor can a person be selected by someone to work and jell flawlessly in anothers team.On one side a good leader should not crib about the quality of his team members but strive to motivate them to achieve for the org and themselves.On the other side to select a correctly qualified candidate is an imp hr function.The manager who is not satisfied with ur selection should have been present in the interview.Such a policy would have eliminated the problem itself.U dont worry and keep on selecting with care and dilligence.Experience will help u over time to make out the correct candidate in no time at all
From India, Delhi
Abdullahyousuf
HI,
I agree with what all the friends have mentioned.But I also consider the fact that you should have done the interview very carefully and also should have taken all the possible measures to select the right candidate.After all, you are the recruiter and you have to see whether the candidate is speaking the truth or he is just playing with his or her words.I would also suggest you to throughly read the Job description and the requirement as well before you interview a candidate.Also if possible go for a second thought perhaps from your senior manager or immediate supervisor.
NOT TO WORRY , WE ALL ARE HERE TO LEARN.
Thanks & Regards
Yousuf

From India, Bangalore
ks_murthy

Please Help To Solve this

Dear Swapna,

I presume you have a model 4 recruitment. In most of the forward looking organisations, there is a competency model for recruitment. A set of competencies are firmed up for each role in the organisation. Candidates are selected based on an acceptable level of competency as against the desired standard.

In case you have recruited the candidate based on the measured competencies, you can share the notes with the superiors. In case a deficiency not found during interview is found subsequently, that does not render the candidate unfit. Organisations tend to spend enormously on finding the correct candidates. In case of improper fit, he can be sent for orientation for enhancing awareness or organisational ways, training 4 updating on competencies or try relocating him to other roles where his competencies can come into play.

I also agree with suggestions of other friends regarding interview process. Associating a line functionary / indentor would always ensure that the process has an in-built check for ensuring quality as accepted by your internal customer.

regards,

KS Murthy

From India, Changanacheri
Pavithran

I agree with Rajesh. However, it is not always possible for the Departmental Head to participate in the interview. It will be appropriate to ask the Dept Head about the job requirement, skills that a candidate should possess and then try to recruit a suitable person.
The selected candidate should be sent to the Dept Head to ascertail the suitability. The candidate should be told thast he/she will be informed of the final selection or otherwise separately in a week's time. If the Dept Head is also satisfied, send the offer letter.
Best regards.
PAVITHRAN

From India, Thanjavur
sacheein

Hi
Swapana
it is not necessary that wrong person ur selected.dont forgate when new person select he is not familier with new companys working environment. He is challenger and copetitor of senior in such cases he wiin't perform as his capacity. pl try to find reson behind it and tell him to submit his performence report.
thnks
sacheein

From India, Mumbai
alewisguy
I agree with Nawas that we are unable to fully gauge the character of a candidate during an interview, unless of course, some kind of personality testing is used that could give some insight. However, if company requirements were followed, then I don't understand how the question could be asked as to the procedure followed. In any event, if a candidate does not work out as intended, there are two options. The more feasible one is to dismiss the candidate during the probation, provided that the employment contract makes provision for this. Alternatively, if the line manager to whom the employee reports wishes to keep the person, then they have to be willing to have the difficult conversation that indicates if the behaviour does not change to a certain degree, or meet certain expectations, by a certain time period, then the Company will have no choice but to dismiss. The decision here is what is best for the Company, not the employee or the manager, who most times does not want to seem like the "big, bad wolf".

Hope this helps.

Angela.

From Trinidad and Tobago, Chaguanas
Sujatha Suresh
Dear Swapna,
did u try what Lee and so many others have been suggesting? See, mistakes happen at times. First where you went wrong, i.e if you did.
1. So get the JD + requirements given by the respective dept. Check if these match with those of Candidate.
2. are you having the liberty to take the candidate through / or suggest a psychometric test? As here it does come out quite clearly if the Candidate needs Training in certain personal / Interpersonal skills etc And these as many have suggested can be improved through Training.
3. Also the suggestion that a line manager be present so that tech skills and HR round can happen at the same time, is good if you are having lack of communications or lack of clear instructions inter departmentally.
And mainly remember "Tough situations don't last, only Tough people do" Complete the learning from this experience and move on.... just one thing, tell us what action you took. : )
Have a nice day!
Sujata

From India, Bhilai
vspampari
Dear Friend, Please read Behavioural Event Interviewing tchnique. This would solve your problem. For this you can browse through google. Regards, Dr.VS Pampari
From India, Hyderabad
Arshi Aziz
Hi there!
This is not an uncommon problem for us in HR, where the performance of an individual is 'blamed' on HR, and the selection process.
the reson someone is not performing well could be multi facteted and does not necessarily relate only to the recruitment process.
There may be a number of steps you could take - choose the ones you are most comfortable with and those that fit in with your organisations culture:
1. Talk to the manager to understand what the performace problems are, and whether these skills were 'tested' during the interveiw process
2. did you take any notes during the interveiw? Refer to these when you give a response. If possible, goive that manager a copy of them.
3. Was the manager not involved in the interveiw? If not, this may be the real problem - he may be feeling 'left out'.
4. If there were other people involved inthe interveiw process, involve them in this discussion.
Good luck!
Arshi Ahmad-Aziz

From Pakistan, Karachi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.