Pandeysandhya
Hi All, I want to write an email to higher management regarding Holidays. In my company, we get 8 holidays but management always deny to give a holiday and every time i have to ask them for holidays. it creates a problem for me as employees ask me for holidays but I am not sure about holidays and few staff get holidays and few do not get.
Please suggest what should be the format of the email as I need to email this to higher management.

From India, Gurgaon
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Sandhya,

It appears that you have confused between the fundamental concepts of "leave with wages" and "closed holidays".

Employee leave is governed under the provisions of the Shops and Establishment Act or Factory Act, as applicable to your company. Check provisions of either act of your state (probably Haryana). In general, for every 20 working days, an employee is eligible for a day's leave with wages. Therefore, roughly an employee becomes eligible to get 15 days of paid leave per annum. A few states like Maharashtra have provisions for sick leave, casual leave etc.

Under the provisions of the National and Festival Holidays Act of your state, each company is required to declare 10 closed holidays. Of these, four are fixed i.e. 26th Jan, 1st May, 15Aug and 2nd Oct. A few states have "State Formation Day" and a compulsory closed holiday is declared on this day too. For example, five states declare "State Formation Day" on 1st Nov. The remaining 5-6 are reserved for the festival holidays. It is at the discretion of the management. Generally, a list of the closed holidays for the next year is published on the notice board in the last week of the year.

Your query is on writing an email to the management. However, before writing an email, I recommend you write an email to the HR Department asking for clarification on the "Leave Policy". Probably this policy is not declared, hence your confusion. If you are from HR Department, then discuss with the top management on the creation and further promulgation of this policy.

In fact, under the provisions of the Shops and Establishment Act or Factory Act, each employee is required to be issued with "Leave Book" or "Leave Card". To avoid the creation of a separate book or card, many companies make entry of opening balance, leave availed of, leave credited and a closing balance in the payslip itself. This gives clarity to the employee on their eligibility.

By the way, "leave with wages" and "closed holidays" are not to be confused with "weekly off". After every six days of work, an employee is eligible for a paid weekly off. The eligibility remains valid even for the companies that work only for five days instead of six days.

"Leave with wages" is a statutory requirement and it is not management's noblesse oblige. Clarity on the policy and further its impartial implementation is sine qua non as it motivates the employees.

Hope this settles your query.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.