divi123

Dear Seniors,
One our employee has resigned his job within a week time from his joining. He has just a sent a mail stating that he is resigning his job due to personal reasons. now my management wants to address his concerns and want him to come directly to complete his exit formalities. I'm not able to reach him through mobile and my seniors asked be to draft an official mailer to him. Kindly help with formats if any
regds,
Divya...

From India, Chennai
Ankita1001

Dear Divya,
Hi Divya it is very essential to have communicated and clarified.
However, it is very common for people to abscond if they do not find the culture or work as per the promised criteria.
The person worked only for a week and before he stopped coming to the office, he did informed the authorities over email that he is resigning. We can't mark him absconding.
You can send an email for the formality purpose and to close the matter but do not waste much time after this trivial issue.

From India, Mumbai
divi123

Thanks Ankita, i intended to do that, firstly my management want to understand the discomforts which has prompted the employee to resign his job and i need to draft an email for asking him to come in person and to share his issues with us, which could be redressed and could help us in retaining him. do help me out with prescribed formats if any.
From India, Chennai
Ankita1001

To be honest, I doubt if he would be willing to come back to discuss.

What you can do is propose him to take his salary due for the week's work he did.

Draft a cheque for the due amount.

Tell him what amount is due him and tell him that even if it might be a meager amount, it is hard earned by him and that he should take it.

Tell him that you would like if he can personally come to collect the cheque and that in such case you can also give him relieving and experience letter for that said period and he can use it as a week's training for future employment.

If he comes, be very casual and ask him if there are any suggestions that he think you should incorporate so that people do not leave them in a very brief period of say 10-15 days.

Do not ask what bothered him and why he resigned because he already mentioned that he resigned for personal reason. Apart if you'd force him to tell, he'd not speak the truth. Instead if we give him a completely fictional situation which might give us some hint.

Hope it helped.

From India, Mumbai
Ankita1001

Can you clarify why wouldn't you be able to release his pay?
He worked for a week, and is liable to get a pay against it.
Another thing is the pay would be release only if he comes in person to collect it.
Infact let me ask you this now,
What is the intention of the management to call him back and discuss?
Why do you wish to settle out the things when the working tenure was meager 1 week?
If you can clarify, we can discuss this better.

From India, Mumbai
divi123

Firstly, management wants to understand the factors that has prompted him to resign and could try redressing it or shall corrective measures to avoid such circumstances in future.
And secondly, since he has resigned within a week's time, they feel that the employment opportunity given on a mutual growth perspective is been misused and thus not willing to release his pay for the period he worked with us.
Kindly advice to proceed further...

From India, Chennai
tajsateesh

Hello Divya,
Ankita has suggested to you rightly.
As regards the INTENT of your management, they seem to 'want the cake & eat it also'. They want to get the ex-employee's feedback to correct systems/processes [which is good & fine] AND YET not give his dues.
How much would the 1 week's salary come to? A few hundreds or a couple of thousands? Would that amount be a BIG one for the company?
What IF the guy's feedback results in a REAL BIG input for the management for the betterment of the company? They seem to want FREE ADVICE?
Not fair, I guess.
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
Ankita1001

Hi Divya,

Honestly, getting feedback from our employees so that we can improve on is a very nice idea. I support you for that. But have you heard of "There's a deal to everything"

Suppose I am that person who left the firm in a week's time.

You are asking me to come to your office to discuss what made me resign in a week's time.

Your motive is to get feedback from me so that you can try to rectify if there is an error at your end (i.e. company is at the fault) or if YOU (as in the management) THINK the matter is trivial, convince me to join you back.

Please note that if an employee has resigned, he would not be willing to come back to the company to meet you and give you a feedback.

He is not reachable on the call is proving this.

Another thing, if he is coming down to meet you, you would get feedback, you may improve for future - all this is your benefit. What about him?

He would waste his precious time (which he may very well use to go and give somewhere an interview) so that you can benefit at his own personal loss which you don't even wish to consider?

As said by Tajsateesh sir, a few hundreds or a couple of thousands can't put a big hole in the pockets of the company.

And if they are so much concerned about the money flowing out, better drop the idea of chasing him and getting feedback.

We cannot force anyone to work for us, neither can we kidnap someone and force them to open up and say what made them resign. When I resigned my last employer, I said I wish to resign for a personal reason and though they tried to probe me to know the actual cause, I didn't share because I didn't trust that they'd relieve me if they get to know the truth. However to me relieving didn't matter much, since my new employer wasn't fussy about it. But I didn't want the absconding title and then fight to get the letter and other hassel.

If the company wants feedback, the company should consider the time and efforts a person would put in to give one. And it is not necesaary that you'd get an honest feedback when you are seeking one. But atleast this gesture would give you a positive word-of-mouth advertisement from him. Perhaps he didn't like the way the things were working at your firm, but with this, he will have the benefit of doubt that perhaps the company was not fully at fault, there was some mismatch in the expectation and reality on his end as well.

Further, it is your decision completely.

But in my opinion if you are not planning to compensate him for the tenure he served, don't call him for the feedback also. Let him go and have his own life.

From India, Mumbai
adnaan

Hi Divya,
In this case.. He has put down his papers telling that he is resigning for his services,.
Now you cant treat him as abscond.
Forward a mail telling to serve the notice period as per the company policy or else remove from the head count naming Resigned.
As ankitha said .. don't drag it coz you will end wasting you time ..

From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.