No Tags Found!

akheel HR

An employee died during his LOP. He was critically ill. Can it be updated in PF portal as "Death in Service". What about his Benefits from PF (EDLI/Pension)
From India, Hyderabad
Madhu.T.K

LOP does not mean that the employee is/ was not in service. It is only an arrangement for leave when the employee falls short of paid leaves. If the date of exit shown in the PF records is after the date of death, the dependents of the deceased employee will get all the benefits like EDLI and Pension. Therefore, do put the date just after the date of death as date of Exit. Please remember that if you put even the same date of death the application for EDLI will be rejected saying that death was not while in service but after his exit from service. Therefore, put the date succeeding the date of death as exit date.
From India, Kannur
akheel HR

Thanks Madhu. So if the date of death is on 5th Sep 2023 then DOE should be put 6th Sep 2023.
From India, Hyderabad
Madhu.T.K

Exactly, you should put 6th Sept as date of exit.
From India, Kannur
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi, DOE should be 5th Sep,2023 only. When the employee is deceased on 5th Sep,2023 itself how come you remove by the closing hours of 6th Sep,2023?
From India, Madras
Madhu.T.K

If you mark the exit on 5th Sept, the EPF will definitely reject the claim for EDLI saying that death was not while in service. It is good in the case of an employee joining another organisation on the date immediately following the date of exit from the previous company but in death case it should be the date following the date of death. I have had a lot of correspondence with EPFO in this regard when I had an experience. That is why I am saying never put the same date of exit in death cases.
From India, Kannur
vmlakshminarayanan

Mr.Madhu,

I don't think 6.9.23 won't be appropriate. The employment contract between the Employer and Employee comes to an end on the date of death of the employee. In such situation how come LWD can be after death date. We had processed few claims wherein the LWD was marked matching the death date of the employee only.

From India, Madras
Madhu.T.K

Mr. Lakshmi Narayanan,
This is because the death may happen after the working hours, ie, after the last working day, or after the employee has been marked exit. In the case of employee joining another organisation on the succeeding day itself, it is true that we should put the last working day as the exit day. But in all other cases, it is safer to put the next day as date of exit. And if you are so confident, you can put the date of death as date of exit and then do N number of correspondence to prove that he was in service till the date of death and immediately on hearing the news of his death we exited him, without going in deep that a day means 24 hours starting from midnight at 12.01 and ending at midnight at 12 etc etc, and till the time of death only we had a legal contract with the employee and since the death had happened during the day, say at 11 am, he would cease to become an employee after the remaining hours of the day and therefore, his death could only be considered as death while in service etc.....

Akheel, I have given a practical solution from my own experience, and you may keep the marking of exit pending and take a proper advise and act accordingly.

From India, Kannur
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.