No Tags Found!

Sunny Pallan
Hi Rajkumar,
Thanks for the details. In my organisation managerial category starts with engineer post. Then Sr engineer, Asst manager etc... Are engineers are under managerial category in other firms....

From India, Poona
Raj Kumar Hansdah

Yes; generally Engineers come under Managerial category. However, in some companies, "Diploma Engineers" are taken in Supervisory category. Regards.
From India, Delhi
samvedan

Hello,

Two possibilities emerge!

Either your existing organization is promoting you with an evil design or is authentically offering you noticing your qualities of leadership, communication etc,,an opportunity to grow.

If their observations regarding your qualities are correct and their intention is suspect it is safe to DENY this opportunity within the organization and look for similar opportunity outside of the organization (which is going to be rather difficult owing to your involvement with a trade union. Managing this conversion from a bargainable status to a non bargainable status within the same organization is relatively easy. If later you see foul intentions then you are still free to look for another opportunity outside. (Now easier-relatively, as you have already managed the conversion already.) But if you have no reasons to suspect your present management's intention, then you must pick up courage to make most of this opportunity of a lifetime.

In the present situation you have been benefited by the organization's admission of your qualities, notwithstanding their intentions. Here is a window to a new world of opportunities to realize your potentials.

Does this set at rest some of your anxieties?

Think deep and you will be able to resolve your own dilemma!

Regards

samvedan

December 9, 2013

-------------------------

From India, Pune
Arpit2003

Dear Sunny
Congratulations on being conferred with a promotion. You have rightly mentioned that being a Union Seceretary you had a tough time with Management guys. Being a professional organisation your seniors & you should understand that by giving them a tough time was the demand of your role which you have justified being in that position, there is nothing personal grutches against any of the seniors. I am also confident that you might have taken those bold decisions for the interest of the organisation and not for your personal gain.
My opinion suggests you to grab the promotion opportunity & prove yourself in your new role.
All the Best

From India, Delhi
kknair

Dear Sunny, Your issue appears to me to get the better of both the options i.e., by remaining to be the Secretary of union you would like to avail the promotion and be counted as a mangerial personnel. Yes, it is possible. First of all, the ID Act or Trade Union does not prohibit you from being a union member or union functionary after promotion to the managerial cadre. As it appears, your union is recognised and hence being a protected workman under Section 33 (3 &4) of the ID Act 1947 you would continue to get the umberlla of protection. There are several cases of employeees in supervisory/executive cadre continuing to be active trade union office bearer, particularly in PSUs, Banks etc. There would be some role conflict but it is seen that in many cases the respective managements won't burden such employees with managerial duties, instead they continue to be workmen only, in technical terms as per ID Act. KK
From India, Bhopal
vijayan Krishnan

Dear Sunny

It is very simple. Person who has SUPERVISORY power in the organisation, given by the management, or else, if any employees are working under you, that means, under law, you can escape under the banner UNION and PROTECTION OF EMPLOYEE. Your say that you are expecting a promotion means there is something fishy role either by the management promoting you to a higher level OR you escape from union activities. Both are equally risky one. I can share example of many of my friends who continued to be in the same organisation for years together, never gets a promotion, even if according to their capabilities qualification the knowledge they gained they can work in the cadre of any SENIOR MANAGEMENT LEVEL. They still continue to work in the union and protect their employees and himself by parting with their knowledge in the labour law. I will advise if you are capable of working in supervisory/managerial level, world is open for you for a bright futrue, leaving aside all your union activities OR continue to proect your fellow employees leaving your expectation of promotion. Both are too good in the eyes of god.

Thks & Rgds

Vijayan Krishnan

bpugazhendhi

Besides the points mentioned in the above posts, which are all relevant, you have to take into consideration your age, qualification and family commitments also before taking a decision either way. Social status is also another factor to reckon with.
From India, Madras
dhrao

be careful if they they did not like you they may sack you after your promotion or amend your trade union constitution so as to make management staff also into your union as members and change the title of the union.
From India, Hyderabad
Raj Kumar Hansdah

Dear Rao
While appreciating your concern and contribution; I must remind all that such interference by the Management in Union activity would amount to Unfair Labour Practices and punishable by Law.
Warm regards.
Raj Kumar

From India, Delhi
rajeeviscon

Nothing sort of this is going to happen, no one is going to treat you badly just because of your elevation. There are numerous cases where people from Trade Union posts have gone to managerial posts and succeeded.
In fact you will be in better position to understand and resolve many issues related to management and workmen.

From India, Suri
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.