karthiklaveti01
hi this is karthik pursuing masters degree in human resource management in gayathri vidya parishad,visakhapatnam and i would like to give answer for this question
<answer> see it will depends on the situation and here we have to consider some of the policies and procedures of our company and here legislation plays a vital role if we are having any clause of unauthorized absence in the standing orders, as per the industrial employment(standing orders) act, 1946 which specifies the conditions of employment and all the misconducts and misbehavior. leaving station with out information is not a big offense but we have see the terms and conditions of the standing orders of the company.

thanking you,
karthik

From India, Visakhapatnam
psdhingra

Dear Sinha,
It is implied, the employer must know the whereabouts of his employee. Absence without permission from headquarter is usually treated as a misconduct on the part of the employee.
Of course, the clause of permission to leave station is provided in the Rules of the Government of India and those of the State Governments. Several of the Industrial and the commercial organisations also usually make the same provision in their Leave Rules, Standing Orders, or the Handbook of employees.

So, it is better you may see the relevant rules of the concerned organization.

For this purpose, there is no difference whether it is off day or casual leave or sick leave.

PS Dhingra
Management & Vigilance Consultant
Dhingra Group of Consultants
New Delhi
[dcgroup1962@gmail.com]

From India, Delhi
kannanmv

Dear Niket Sinha,
I would say it is more of ethics to inform the immediate boss about your absence from the town where you are working.
Even if it is an off day, you can make a mention that you will not be in town during the weekly off. As rightly pointed out by a member, your presence may be required in emergencies. Atleast they must know where to reach you.
In our organisation the employee is required to cite the address and phone number during the days he is on planned leave. Weekly off as a matter of ethics employees inform their superiors.
Do not bring in the concept of misconduct as not following ethics is not construded as misconduct.
M.V.KANNAN

From India, Madras
Ashok Iyer
Another important point besides other things is that organisations especially govt. sector have insurance coverage for employees. If God forbid some mishappening occurs with the employee when he is out of station he or she may not be liable for insurance if the organisation has not been informed officially. So in a way it is good for the employee if he informs the organisation before leaving station.
Regards
Ashok Iyer

From United Kingdom, Send
lkumar1956
Dear Niket
Yes- it is a misconduct.
Any employee intends to avail leave and out of station / work place/site should inform his immediate superior
by any available mode of communication.
Regards
L.Kumar

From India, Madras
sarkarm
Hello everybody,
I am not an HR professional but i have learnt a lot from this site.
I believe it can be treated as misconduct if there exists a definite rule in the organisation, as suggested by praveen kumar. It should also depend on the nature of responsibilities/duties one perfoms in an organisations. If the officer is stuck up while out of station, will the ongoing work be seriously hampered? If yes, He definitely has a responsibility to inform seniors beforehand , rule or no rule. I personally shall treat it as misconduct.
Finally , can we see some better english in this site? 'Can' and 'is' in the main question made me flinch.
M SARKAR

From India, Madras
salahudheen

yes, it of course is a misconduct. Employee must obtain approval from his superior before he leaves the workplace during duty hrs. if it is extremely urgent and the latter is not available, suppose in a meeting and mobile is not reachable, employee could text him, drop an email, or may convey the message through a colleague and on return could explain the situation. It really depends on how flexible is your manager or work environment though.
Regards,
Salahudheen

From Saudi Arabia, Riyadh
aahnapahwa
Yes, its an offence. Coz senior position hold High responsibilities. So lot of work will come to a hold, which will effect the smooth running of the organisation. And also, a leader is the one whom the team follows,It will impact the team members to conduct a misconduct.
From India
nagaraj1946

normallly such things are included in the disciplinary rules of the company. if nothing is mentioned, then one of this will have to be done
- to inform all the concerned that he will on leave from and to and in cases of emergency where one has to be contacted. also informed about whom to contact during his absence.
normally in an manuafacturing company, an alternative arrangement is made before anyone goes on leave. this will be true with other industries also, including software.
dr nagaraj

From India, Bangalore
cnyanyiwa
for a responsible employee u cant leave u station without telling ur superior. Its a pure misconduct and must be dealt with accordingly.
From Zimbabwe
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.