maxymaxymaxymaxy
Hello all ,
I have been placed in a medium scale MNC Company.I started my career as a trainee as Tech support. I am interested in X field in our company and not in tech support , for that i talked with senior technical person of X field in our company.He instructed me to study required things so that in future I can work on X field in our company.
Problem is I placed in that company as Tech support which is what am not interested in , Now once workload will increase HR may not permit me to work on X field , in this case what should be my approach.
Should i inform HR about this or should i tell Senior technical person help me out for switching ? .
I know that once my workload increase i will have to concentrate on wht i have..i.e. tech support please help me out...for this decision..
Thanks & Regards ,
Max

From India, Mumbai
tajsateesh

Hello Max,
Since you are working in a MNC, you must be filling up a Self-Appraisal as a part of your Annual Appraisal [assuming you completed 1 year of service here]. Why not mention it in it?
You will be placing your aspirations on record & can take it from there whenever you want to raise it.
In the worst-case scenario of NOT getting what you want & want to leave the Company, this would create the base for such a move.
Also, suggest look @ the whole issue in another way. Why is it that you are not being moved from Tech support, despite asking many times? Maybe you are MORE SUITED for such a role rather than in the X field? It does happen sometimes that others know our strengths more than we do. Give this a serious introspective thought.
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
maxymaxymaxymaxy
Hi tajsateesh,

First of all i would like to thank you for your valuable reply.I have just joined this company as a fresher and about to complete my 1 month!!...I just had a formal discussion about Senior person in X field who took my interview and he found that i have keen interest in X field and I have that potential to do it , he said so at the time of interview.But because the requirement at that time was for Tech support I had to joined it..and even there i am learning new things but core interest is in X field. After my joining he even introduced me with others in his team and now we are in contact . Now they told me to study for X field.

Now at this point I wanted to know that if in future they required resources and asked HR to about me to get into their team then what can be HR's Decision , HR can simply deny me to work in X field or what? If so...what should be my approach...
Will my 24*7 team will so easily leave me to other project ?? that's what i feared for. Currently I have been assigned on New project in 24*7 team (tech support) and If there comes a situation when i will have to shift to X field , they may not permit me to go to other project easily as project is new and no one other than our current team knows it .

Its like I can see the chocolate in front of me but can't eat! :(...Please reply to me..

Thanks & Regards ,

Max

From India, Mumbai
tajsateesh

Hello Max,
I didn't realize you completed just 1 month.
First of all, do 'wholeheartedly' what you have been given to do.
If you neglect the present work given, you are creating a danger of your 'later' request for a shift to X dept to be ignored altogether.
Try to cross the bridge when it comes....rather than being in tech support physically, but with the mind elsewhere--you will end-up doing justice to neither & in the process hurting YOUR CAREER....no one else.
Maybe the assignment of the new project in 24x7 tech support came your way to prove yourself? Put your full focus on the job-at-hand & work wholeheartedly--the shift you are expecting will come your way WHEN YOU ARE READY.
BTW, why do you hesitate to mention what the 'X' means?
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
maxymaxymaxymaxy
Hello tejsateesh,
Once again very thankful to you for continuing this discussion. Yea first of all sorry for not mentioning this X. Value of X = Penetration Testing ...it just not to confuse anyone with my question..that is why i didn't mention X value. yea you are right , I should concentrate on what i have given , but fear is that while concentrating on this project which i have given , I should not land with career in that field , as per I know technology is kinda OLD and may be I won't have scope in market in future..may be...! But as you said I need to prove myself in tech support first..I will try my best and even planned to go for some certification so that it may help me in future for switching to my X field...Really thanx for your valuable reply. I will keep posting and will let you know even if you dont mind.Once again thanx a lot for your help..
Regards ,
Max

From India, Mumbai
tajsateesh

All the Best Max. Sure..you can post whenever you are stuck — if not me I am sure someone else will advice you. After all, that’s what this Forum is for ....right? Rgds, TS
From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.