Ryan

Hi

This is a brilliant discussion.

Item 10 of the Gallup Q12 asks if you have a best friend at work.

From my personal experience, I believe that this is one of the key criteria to retention. AND it is applicable to HR folks too. Without a friend at work, office becomes lonely. It is really necessary to share with someone who can understand to some extent what you are going through.

As someone said, you go to office to work, and not to make friends. It is half correct, and it would be most difficult to work efficiently in today's age where networking is a must, without making friends. Yes, it would be great if everyone just did their jobs like they are told to, but the reality is that something or the other gets in the way of this - from a policy to a relationship. Often, morality, etc gets involved and then, we are busy justifying, rather than doing our jobs. Given the nature of HR activities, most of them make us pretty lonely people.

At the end of the day, I personally don't take too much pain to ensure that people like me - BUT I will take trouble to ensure that they respect me and the job that I do. HR is not really a popularity contest, but doing your job on time, everytime, accurately (conditions apply here :wink: ). And if you can make good friends while doing your job, then doing your job becomes that much easier. You will look forward to going to office the next day.

Regards

Ryan

From India, Mumbai
tinap.
hi indu
surprisingly,your post looks so much like the one i was planning to post next week..i too have newly joined an organisation where worse than most companies, i am the only hr person handling all the branches in india since mine is a small sized company. i too feel like an alien amidst allthses happy workers working in teams ,enjoying their work..not that i dont enjoy mine..but at times..i feel that absence of people to consult for issues..or even someone to talk to on a one-on-one level. i feel somehow, everyone gets really conscious when talking to me. but of late, ive made it a point to spend some time in every dapartment of the organisation, interacting with employees..understanding thear work.. this not only is helping me become a peoples person , but is also helping me make my recruitment more effecient!! although..i am still in the process of looking for a helping hand in my department.
hope my situation will make u feel better :P [/i]

From India, Delhi
unusual_indu

Respected Senior (Ryan)
Thank you for your suggestions. I am not looking forward to become popular among the employees all I would love to have onlyacceptance from their end , as without that its impossible for any HR to pmplement processes or policies , more so when its the first time the employees get a glance of a person called "HR" .As one of the fellow members of the community has rightly pointed out that its time I begin interacting with all the departments of the organisation and start getting info about the technical processes.This will definitely help me knowing the employees and the work better and I might as well land up getting accepted by the employees(high hopes....though) :)

From India, Pune
unusual_indu

Hi Prabhjyot
Nice to know you are also having a similar kind of problem. You were going to post this topic next week I posted it earlier so I guess I saved some work for you :wink: .Dont loose heart if not inside the oraganisation we have so many friends and colleagues on this site so keep posting ....
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
Amith R Murthy

Dear All,
My case is similar to that of Indrani as i am alone handling HR functions and i even feel sometimes that no one will be their to Motivate me, how can i over come such stituations..............
Regards
Amith R.

From India, Bangalore
samvedan

Hello,

Don't please get me wrong. I am not an "idealist" who would give up and give in on the cause. I was NOT giving any messages thru my responses.

The time has NOT come for you to quit every time the Boss does not agree with you. The issue could be:

1) My home work may not be adequate.

2) Bosses knowledge & experience may be prompting him to take a stance that happens to be different.

3) There may organizational problems that do not permit the change at this stage!

There could be many other reasons. The dialogue has proved rather weak and I could not get the decision that I was hoping to get! Also, just as I can't always be right, being overruled is not a defeat atll. Hierarchy empowers the one at the top to decide and end all uncertainties. Unless I reach that position, I may have to live with things that I don't agree with.

If I am so sensitive (read edgy!) that I simply cannot tolerate disagreement or disapprovals, I will find it very difficult to work with people and alternatively the people may not be comfortable to work with me! Every day is an opportunity to renew oneself, to learn more and to enhance further. If I wrongly judge the moment to quit, I will be hurting myself.

So the Mantra is, fight (within limits) for what you consider to be right, but be aware there can be other very valid view points and be open and receptive to new ideas, information and experiments. Every disapproval is NOT a defeat.

Have you read Dr. Covey's master-piece, "Seven Habits of Highly Effective Peope"? You should not read it! You must "study" it and internalize the concepts to be able to manage your life more effectively. Just one of the concepts is also apt at this stage. Each one has a "circle of concern" and also a "circle of influence". The idea is to ensure that the circle of influence remains lerger that the circle of concern to be able fond peace and harmony with your environment! It is NOT a one time permanent achievement. The task is to "grow" each day, every possible way and to keep pushing the circle of influence beyond the "circle of concern". Its a constant effort and it can be done.

Think about it. Get hold of a copy of the book, if you are new to this, but if already have the book, REVISIT the same with greater committment and you will find a lot of answers to your predicaments!

Good Luck on the new journey!

Regards

samvedan

September 17, 2007

From India, Pune
Ranganathan V

Hi,

Frankly not sure what to write! People have spoken about culture / way of working/ inevitable differences etc. Some companies HR is looked at linking to Power (like Politics) and others they are looked at custodians of all the policies and process related to people. In college, its generally assumed that HR is a person who bride the gap between employees and employers….but when you come to work place, employees will look at you as if you are end in every thing and management will look at you as if HR is expected to deliver to drive business results…

I have faced all these things in the last 12 yrs in this field.

Let me practical about it. The latest articles on the Competencies of HR and their elements are given below. Judge for yourself, as an HR person how you can deliver these expectations:

The Competencies and Their Elements

The six competencies and the elements that make them up offer the outlines of what it takes to be successful. The Credible Activist is respected, admired, listened to and offers a point of view, takes a position and challenges assumptions by:

• Delivering results with integrity.

• Sharing information.

• Building relationships of trust.

• Doing HR with an attitude (taking appropriate risks, providing candid observations, influencing others).

The Cultural Steward recognizes, articulates and helps shape a company’s culture by:

• Facilitating change.

• Crafting culture.

• Valuing culture.

• Personalizing culture (helping employees find meaning in their work, managing work/life balance, encouraging innovation).

T

he Talent Manager/Organizational Designer masters theory, research and practice in both talent management and organizational design by:

• Ensuring today’s and tomorrow’s talent.

• Developing talent.

• Shaping the organization.

• Fostering communication.

• Designing reward systems.

The Strategy Architect knows how to make the right change happen by:

• Sustaining strategic agility.

• Engaging customers.

The Business Ally contributes to the success of the business by:

• Serving the value chain.

• Interpreting social context.

• Articulating the value proposition.

• Leveraging business technology.

The Operational Executor administers the day-to-day work of managing people inside an organization by:

• Implementing workplace policies.

• Advancing HR technology.

Regards

From India
ridz_bhatia

Hello,
Your story reflects to the new HR's...all goes to the same concern aspecially when new HR dept is done though company has done decades..
i will advice you to b silent at the times of conflict..reach to the root cause...firstly develop confidence in your self. Our profession needs lots of patience you cant loose your heart. my self spent 10 hours too at my job...for few months...now things are changed...organize social function..quiz....cricket matches between dept or branches...jss know the taste of your organization..melt into it then you can implement what you want...discipline...culture everything...you will c a respect for you sooner..

From India, New Delhi
unusual_indu

Respected Senior (Samvedan}

Thank you for your suggestions .I ahve not read the book you have mentioned but would surely get a copy of the same next time I visit a book store .

I got your message what you wanted to say and I will definitely do my homework well ,before embarking upon the task to "enlighten managemnt"As always I will keep my mind open to new ideas even if they are different from my ideas .

Some ideas again need time to be implemented like in our organisation it was a six day week and that too employees used to work till 8.30 everyday.They wanted a holiday or at least half day on saturday .It appeared to be a genuine concern to me and I had given a proposal to management for holiday on alternate saturdays .Initially they refused to give in to the idea saying that there are lots of projects which have failed to meet their deadlines so we cant possibly afford a saturday holiday.After several rounds of discussions they have finally agreed upon 2nd saturday as holiday .I beleive its oing to take "time " as well as "ooperation from employees"till we can have both saturdays holidays

The problem that I faced during this discussion was "I am an employee too" so the management thought that I am discussing this out for my own interests.Its a fact that I will get benfitted by this decision but then again it was also very necessary for the other employees too

I now there cannot be any readymade answers to Hr dilemmas but still can you suggest that how can I convince managment in such situations that its actually for employee welfare and benefit that this change is required and not only because I want an extra holiday

Thanks and Regards

Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
unusual_indu

Respected Senior(Ridz Bhatia )
Thank you so much for your suggestion.In our organisation actually most of the employees are outstation candidates so they are having very different cultural backgrounds so I still need time to know their tastes,but arranging some recreational activities once in a while is definitely a good idea .
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.