Best ways to minimize attrition

1. Skills Development

2. Communication

3. Promotion/Progress

4. Management Style

5. Work-Life Balance

But what can you do differently?

Skills Development

When we look at attrition and how to improve it we are asking “how can I keep my staff motivated?” If you refer to any motivational theory, personal development is always a high motivator. So why would a contact centre be any different? Looking for ways to enhance the skills of your employees is good for the business, the customer and the employee.

Many centres use multi-skilling as a way to be more efficient; used correctly, this can also be seen as a development tool. Employees would be trained in new skills after certain periods of time and/or reaching a certain performance level. If communicated correctly, this gives employees a sense of achievement and creates variety in a job. This can be achieved without the need for financial reward, therefore providing motivated staff, who will stay with the business longer as they move along the skill path, whilst meeting the business need for efficiency.

Communication

Communication is key to any successful business! In contact centres there is a need for everyone to understand the goals of the business. It is important that employees feel part of the brand, and understand what the business is striving for and the part that they have to play in making it happen. Attrition rates are high in centres when employees feel disengaged, “nobody listens to me”. There have been a number of good communication examples where employee focus groups are used to make change happen, employee champions are used to drive change forward and give the employees a voice.

Targets need to be aligned and communicated effectively. Results need to be reported and discussed. Many centres now have web-based technology to display performance stats and working patterns. The use of intranet sites to display information can also be very effective. We must use all the communication media we have available, and remember that what may not seem important to a manager may be crucial to an agent.

Promotion/Progression

Many now view contact centre work as a career, and with the varying roles available, from the traditional path of Agent, Coach, Team Leader or a support role in HR, Resource Planning, or Finance, there are many opportunities. It is important, therefore, that at least some of these vacancies are filled with internal candidates. This gives employees the knowledge that if they work hard and do well they have a chance to progress.

It can also be useful to give people opportunities to try out new roles; “try before you buy”, if you like. This can be done through secondments, day-in-the-life or development programmes. Many centres have development opportunities designed at finding the next team leader from the agent population; these schemes could be extended to include the many other support roles available in today’s contact centres.

Management Style

This area is closely linked to communication. Does an employee feel valued? do they want to come to work? There is an old adage: “you don’t leave the business you leave your manager”. How many times have you heard someone say “the job’s ok but the people are great”? This shows how important management style is to employees. The contact centre should be a great place to work, with an element of fun and hard work. The management approach will go a long way to achieving these goals.

Work-Life Balance

Work-life balance is not easy to achieve. Employees have to understand that the business must meet its customers’ demands, while the business must understand that employees have external pressures as well and do all it can to help them.

The introduction of family-friendly legislation has forced many contact centres to look at how they schedule staff. Contact centres have then taken this more flexible approach and developed it for all employees, creating a number of lifestyle schedule options that give employees more choice, whilst still meeting the business needs. These schedule choices are often created by the employees through focus groups, always bearing in mind that the business needs must be met. All employees are different and it would be wrong to assume we know what everyone wants or needs, so providing options is a great way of providing a suitable solution for all.

From India, Bangalore
Bob Gately

Hello Suman:
Reducing attrition starts with who gets hired.
If HR wants to reduce attrition, they need to convince hiring managers to hire for talent.
By the way, talent is not found on resumes or discovered during interviews.

From United States, Chelsea
Ivan Antony John

When Money is the Major Motivation.
Quarterly Incentives(once in 3 months) for Employees and Incentive Based on the Performance of the Employee regardless of the Designation. Incentive should be arrived by the Managing Director/Proprietor and not by another employee no matter how high the designation to ensure Fairness.
This will address in increase of Pay for Performance and will ensure that Salary need not be raised for all.
Also the HRD/Managers/Management should address the employees as Team Members or Family Members of XYZ...
This is very important to ensure a Correct Unit to be formed.

From India, Madras
sraboni01
Hi Suman,
There are no quick fixes to curb Attrition ,the only way thru' which a co. can minimise risk is by effectively engaging with the employees.
Companies need to ensure that quality talent is identified early and put on a fast track programme to grow within the org.
Also,Performance linked pay will be an important parameter against which an employee can make his/her decision of staying on with the co.
Staff engagement is also a key area.
Providing new avenues for growth and learning thru' job rotation .
:) Sraboni

From India, Mumbai
sljoshi
Dear Suman,
I think it is totally depend on the employee behavior and the coordination with the HR for selected job. If we are doing well , we will win and there is no question of quit.
This is my opinion.
Thanks & Regards
Sumant

From India, Chandigarh
raj.369kumar
Dear Suman
According to my view, HR person cant alone control the attrition rate..other people like departmental heads,supervisors,peers will play a key role in control the attrition,.......there r several reasons for attrition like 1) Lack of job satisfaction,2) improper hike in the salary, 3)improper working conditions,4)lack of motivations from superiors 5)lack of support from mates 6)intense work pressure 6)not involving the employee in decition making 7)lack of concern towards their family etc...........first we should creat loyalty in the employee,next we have to give reasonable pay,we have to make them feel responsible ,we should give respect and importace to the employee's views,ideas,opinions,suggesstions............

From India, New Delhi
snehlata singh
hi dear
H.R people can control Attrition by first dividing employee on what motivate these employees i.e researches say that higher level people are motivated by growth opportunities and lower level by compensation ,so first we have to find that...after this 1.Try to lessen down the stress.
2.Encourage inter-personal relationship between employees.
3.Try that every employee had a best friend at office.
4.Celebrate festivals together.
5. Show them a career progression path and make believe that this is the best place an organization care and value them.
6.Open the company's door for those who have left the organisation
Snehlata singh
student -H.R
LBSIMT-Bareilly

From India, Rampur
sarojdeka

Hi to all,
First all we should study the mind of outgoing professionals. Already senior HR professionals has been placed valued view in above. In addition of these i would prefer to say that this is time for all organizations to prepare some stretegic retention policy through which we can act on following fields.
such as
1. Employee Engagment
2. Training & Development
3. Job rotation
4. Workmen ownership
5. Organizational behaviour
6. Suggestion Box
7. Employee relation ETC.
We can improve the situation by using these tools within the organization. We need to pull our socks to act on it.
Brgds/ Saroj Kumar Deka

From India, New Delhi
sharangrajo
Hi Suman,

You hv come with the HOT TOPIC for every hr professional...gr8..

My view..

Rather thn talking on Attrtion we can have full flage mindset for the Retention...

1. for the same we must have a clear picture of the business in both Long & Short term..

2. Accordingly the HR strategies to be linked to it..just like retention..

3. Freezing your Org structure & functional hierarchies based on the performance & potential of the existing employees..

4. Charting out the Need of the organisation on Long & Short term..

5 Based on the same Recruitment Strategy..As recruitment is the base of the retention..i believe..

6. Proper Channels & time span for the Comunications from upward to the downword level of orgn..

7. Training & Development..

8. Other suitable motivation techniques..orgn specific..reward & reco., Compensation benchmarks, job enhancement /enlargement, job rotation especially for Managerial cadre..team building & Cross functional teams..

other facilities as suitable for type of industry that you are..

Thank you...

Please do reply me on your views..( or please correct me if somewhere i have gone wrng...)...

From India, Pune
Bob Gately

HR can significantly reduce attrition quickly but in the US we find that HR departments are seldom the reason why attrition gets significantly reduced. CEOs, COOs, GMs, sales managers, and talent managers seem to be the people most responsible for bringing change to their organizations. People in these positions have a personal interest in the bottom line. Hiring for talent is the secret to reducing attrition and creating engaged employees.
From United States, Chelsea
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.