No Tags Found!

noahjethro

Attrition is not necessarily bad as long as we are able to keep the right people. I suggest that you put in place a targeted retention strategy exclusively for high performing and quality employees. What is important is that you keep the righ people and not distress over the attrition rate. This is because attrition only measures the number of outgoing employees and not really the quality of the employees who leave the company.
From Philippines, Quezon City
rachgera

Hello Suman,
As everyone is discussing about this most prominent issue and have provided so many views. Furthermore, we would like to add on that endeavor to create the atmosphere of open communication and build the organizational culture more strong which will create sense of belongingness, association and team orientation.
Regards,
Rach

From India, Delhi
Bibhutosh Bhadauria

How HR People can control attrition?

This is the biggest challenge which HR people are dealing globally. Lots of experimenting, research and tools are tried and are in process. This has always existed but in the current scenerio it has become most significant as its rate is at its peak. This cannot be eliminated but can be controled.

Good HR Systems and solid implementation is essential. Role of HRD is very crucial and it has to be very fast and efficient enough to mantain its pace with the changes happening within the industry and it should be fresh and relevent to the exisiting requirements.

This can be initiated since the very begining, by begining i mean to say select the right people for the right job. There should be clear picture what organisation expections are, and employee should be asked what is his expectations, and it should be properly matched. There should be transperency since begining. Every effort should be made to ensure that there is no confusion of any kind on both sides.

Job description becomes very important. Everything should be in black and white and timely appraisals should be done in a fair manner. Favoritism and wrong practices should not be allowed to exist, but it surfaces again and again, but transperent system will minimise it.

HR will have to ensure that it provides concrete ground for the scope of career planning and professional and personal growth. Therefore Organizational culture plays a vital role in controling attrition. There is a urgent need to become more and more professional with a humanitarion approach.

A good leadership can convert a worse team in to a best team, a bad leadership can convert a best team in to worse team, same like a saying "One bad fish can ruin the entire pond". Keep a constant vigil on the bad fish and it should be dealted strongly. Even the minutest good thing needs appreciation every time, and a wrong things needs to be eliminated in the very starting.

Our systems and procedures should be strong enough to nip the devil in the bud. If the employee get chance to grow and develop constantly and his skills are appropritately recognized he feel like staying and contribute positively and utilizes his energy positively and in positive direction. My emphasis always focus on positive and only positive.

It better to invest on our existing fertile human resource rathar than frequently wasting time, energy and assets in organizing new recruitments and making them work to the required level and for which there is no gaurantee. Offcourse we should always go for recruitments but only when it is very essential, our HR Filter should be effective to filter assets and burdens.

Experienced HR People are required to control the core HR activities and they can do miracles.

I would like to quote some beautiful lines by Sir Chinmoy:

The moment enthusiasm

Leaves us,

Our life-energy decreases

Beyond our imagination.

My entire being

Must be surcharged with

Enthusiasm-flood.

Enthusiasm is a divine gift,

And this divine gift

We get from higher worlds.

Enthusiasm lost,

Life-satisfaction is lost;

God-perfection in man

Remains a far cry.

Enthusiasm has success

In it.

Enthusiasm is progress

In itself.

Daring enthusiasm and abiding cheerfulness

Can accomplish everything on earth

Without fail.

My enthusiasm needs

No imagination-flight,

For it is always

A rich harvest."

Regards,

Bibhutosh Bhadauria

From Australia, Balwyn
RAM1965
How to control Attrition:
1)From the day one the emplyoee should be engaged. But what we feel is we have to slowly load the people. When the people get full work, they tend to buckle and start thinking of esacpe route.
HR function should be mother function . Father is the department head. He will be always demanding,tough,ruthlesss. (with respect to job and not behaviour) The mother(HR) is to console,take care of the child.
The main point hear is the mother (HR) to convey properly the feedback to Father, so that the father to continue or slow down or to increase the tempo.
But in reality, mother takes the chance to blame father and put father (Dept head) in miserable condition. This leads problem to the employees and increases attrition.
So HR role is important in addressing the attrition.

From India, Madras
anu philip
Hi all,
Timely appraisal, motivation, recognition, emp.engagement activities, a week-end get together, an outing with all empolyees etc can lessen attrition rate. Firms should TAKE MEASURES to boost morale of employees and thus giving JOB SATISFACTION.

From India, Thiruvananthapuram
siri.ch
Hello all,
valuable points have been discussed.
good to arise these type of discussions. It will help HR alot ....... Thank you suman.
Can any body provide me that how exit interview should be done?
Is there any questionnaire for this......

From India, Mumbai
Rajat Joshi

Hi Suman,
Have shared ideas and best practices on retaining talent and other members on the forum have provided inputs which may help you. This thread of discussions started in 2005..

https://www.citehr.com/787-innovativ...-part-one.html
Best Regards,
Rajat Joshi

From India, Pune
somwanshi aarti

I am the HR manager in a sheet metal Manufacturing Industry, I discussed about high Attrition rate in my company with the director, and suggest him some of the solutions like other have suggested here, as all management knows about the loopholes, and the other all problems related to welfare facilities, problems with incriments, and even problem with the payment offer, problem with working hours,but higher management is not ready to solve those problem, not ready to provide more facilities, not ready to compramise on working hours(12 hrs per shift) with this process they are working from the starting of the company,. because of this attrition is not new for them, priviously nobady seriously looking after this and trying to manage this problem with the help of contractors,as I got appointed as HR , Recruitment has become major task for me........please somebady suggest me how to tackle this problem......In India it is very easy to get well qualified people, but very difficult to find out, skilled, Unskilled, and semiskilled people as they dont rajister themself with any employment exchange or portal.......I want to know how to find out those people easily............
From India, Pune
ushetty99
Hai Suman,
your question is very much corect, because i am also working as Hr Officer since 3 years ours also USA Mnc and Manufacturing sector , our attretion rate is also motre than 50% becase of wt they mentioned above like salary welfare benificiary scheme, lack of motivation.
i woould have intrest to suggest you you should as much as possible that much facility you have to try to get them.
Regards
Umesh Shetty

From India, Bangalore
Sonali Vaidya
Hi,

Attrition is bound to happen and it is indeed very challenging to control it. Its high time that we start living with it and work towards minimising contingencies caused to thorugh attrition on overall business / morale of the organisation.
Poeple have variety of reasons to quit and no standard policy can really apply to control so many aspects which lead to overall attrition.

I guess its impotant to identify key and critical people at every leavel and in every department in a utmost objective manner. We need to ask oursleves as to who are these critical people who are driving your business today and have the potnetial to drive it for next 2 to 3 or maximum 5 years.Critical resources are those resources who are either start performers or are critical because there is no back-up for them in the organisation.

Once the list is ready specific strategies can be planned. You then need to conduct periodic discussion with these specific employees.

The targte is to reduce attrition in the start peerformer category and minimise risk by training and creating back-ups for the ones who don't have ones (replacements) in the organisation.

HR people should be instrumental in driving this exercise and helping Business heads in identifying potential risks and devise startegies to minimise the impact.

Regards,
Sonali

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.