Nayana Chander

Hello Shweta

I do agree that a leave calender is easier managed if it follows the calender year (Jan - Dec) rather than the financial year (Apr - Mar). Also, its a common practise now that company "award leaves" or employees "earn leaves". As jayshri rightly explained, you can divide the number of leaves in each category by 12 to get the "monthly leave earning" (lets say - "X") for an employee.

If the employee joins anywhere in the middle of the calender year, then you could allocate the leaves as:
(X*no of months left in the calender year).

Further more, if the employee joins in the beginning of the month (or before the 15th) the company may lay down policy to award "X" in its entirity for that month. And if the employee joined after 15th of the month you may choose to half "X" for that month.

Better still, you could simply club all leaves and just award the employee with Paid leaves (PL) so you dont really have to track the number of "SL/CL/EL" for every employee. Just maintain a PL balance :). Thats the way we function at my office. We have 15 PL's per calender year and each employee earns 1.25 ("X") leaves per month which keep accruing if not availed.

In the service industry (esp. 24*7 enivirnoments) Public holidays are awrded as PL's and then the PL's could increase from 15 to 25-30.

It would be upto you to consider and decide whats best for your employees and your company and formulate a policy accordingly for middle-of-the-year joinees.

Hope this information helps

From India, Pune
patroap

Hi,
To All the above repliers,
As Ms. Jayshri suggested, the correct way to calculate.
I have also some doubts.
1) If an employee joins in the month of 14th july'08 and he wants to take leave 1 day or 2 day. How to treat them in salary?
2) Wht will be the above new employee's PL as on 02.01.09.
3) Whether a Trainee, shall be eligible for PL or CL and SL.
Pls. clarify..and help in this reg.
Regards.
Arabindo,B'lore

From India, Mumbai
itskavitashetty
Hi,

Actually the Calendar year should not make any differene in calculating Leave, as Various organisations have different policies. As and when an employee joins, the Co. credits 10 CL AND 6 SL to the employee account. Leave is usually calculated on a prorata basis.

On assumption that the Employee has joined on April 1, 2008 has not taken any leave:

Employee wants to check his Casual Leave Balance on July 1, 2008, you need to calculate the No. of Days Worked (April - 30 days = May 31 days) 61 days and then calulate the Leave available as :

61 days x 10 CL / 365 days = 1.67 days which can be treated as 2 days eligible.

Similarly if the employee wants to know his/her Sick Leave Balance as on August 15, 2008. The calulation should be check the No of Days worked (April - 30 days + May - 31 days + Jun - 30 days + Jul - 31 days + August - 14 days ) = 136 days and therefore No of SL on a prorata basis would be 136 days x 6 SL / 365 days = 2.23 days which can be considered as 2 days.

Hope this is clear and you could definetely check for any other clarifications,

KS

From India, Mumbai
rakesh_karsh
Dear Shweta
first you should know from where leave originated?
and how much type of leave?
PL/EL - Privilege leave/ Earned Leave
PL is govern form Factories Act 1948
rule: those person who have completed his present day 240 in one calender year means Jan to Dec or 2/3 day of one calender year when factory or orga. was run.
the employee get 1 leave for his each 20. and organisation always fix the leave according to its Leave Policy but it should not less than above mentioned.
SL- Sick Leave
CL- Casual Leave
CL and SL both Governed from Employees Standing order Act 1946
every state have its own standing order rules. prefer book for particular state.
it can be 7 cl and 7 sl or 14 cl and 7 sl etc.
leave year always be jan to dec .
always prefer books
you can ask about little help how i solve the thread by seniors.
but books is your most senior.
if you have any other confusion
you can mail me

From India, Bhopal
maheshppatel
Dear Sweta
I agree with the calculation of Jayashri. It should be proportionately from his/ her date of joining.
Normally the Leave period is for Calendar Year either Jan to Dec OR April to March
The employee will entiltle the proportionate leaves to that year,as per the Leave rules whenever he / she joins as Trainee OR On Probation....
Mahesh Patel

From India, Ahmadabad
bmnandakishore

Dear Shweta Leaves for your can be given on prorata basis that z all the leaves what ever leaves are to be divided by 12months and must be allotted to them.
From India, Hyderabad
Shweta Swarnkar

Hi Arabindo,
1. If the no. of leaves exceeds the monthly quota mark it as leave without pay.
2. As per your company's policy, you need to tell that first.
3. As a trainee, no leaves should be alloted. But again depends on company poilcy as how much is the training duration and all.
Thanks and Regards,
Shweta Swarnkar

From India
Shweta Swarnkar

Thanks to all of you for the valuable information, you all have shared so much.. Its really good to see so many replies as always..... CiteHR rocks............
From India
SLG
In continuation to Shweta leave reply I want add little bit more but if there
is any suggesstion pl. give
What I knew is that in a factory if a staff not covered under ESIC he can avail Sick leave that too avail in the current year i.e. Jan to Dec. - Is it correct
Eligible leaves are 7
CL is 12 .
if any thing wrong in this pl. inform

From India, Belgaum
sivakumar1611

if the person is not covered under the ESIC that means who got above Rs. 10,000/- he is eligable to take sick leave and in a year total sick leaves are allowed only 12 days not more than that
From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.