No Tags Found!

sangjulie

Hi everybody,
I have gone through the discussion, given out by each one of our friends, it has been really excellent and good piece of information. A lot has to be put in by the HR to get the exact information from the employee leaving the organization, so that the organization can move forward or make the necessary changes suggested by the exiting employee, if suitable.
Really a good and large amount of information has been provided by each and everyone.
Thanks.
Regards
Julie

From India, Hyderabad
thquaye
Having read your article, I think its a good piece. The aspect of exit interviews being held in privacy its a very strong point which has help many organisations in my part of the world to identify and address the real reasons why people leave an organisation other than reasons stated in resignation letters.
Exit interviews has also served as means or a mirrior that enable management in orgnisations to indetify and address lapses in their structures and operations that contribute to high incidents of staff turnover.
I would appreciate any other material you may have to share on current issues on Talent management .
You may please send it through my email: thquaye@ yahoo.co.uk
thanks for the opportunity to share my thoughts and observation on your piece.
Theo (Accra- Ghana)

nive_electric

hi..i read ur article...it was very interesting...i am an MBA student..rite nw i am doin my attritttion rate in big software company...i would want some help from u for about further proceeding in my project.....i hav calculated d attrition with the exit-interviews only...it was all open-ended questions....i hav changed tose in to close ended questions.....i hav d data on the education, designation,year dey left d org, years of experience in tht org, factors which attract the company and d reason y dey leave d org...is these information enough....do i hav to do more on anyother topic....pls do help me....i would b very helpful if i hav a sample project in attrition....pls..waitin for ur reply....my mail id is
waitin for the reply
by,
nive

From India, Madras
mallet

RETENTION

During the last decade, employee retention has become a serious and perplexing problem for all types of organization. Managing retention and keeping the turnover rate below target and industry norms is one of the most challenging issues facing businesses.

Retention: -is the percentage of employee remaining in the organization.

“Employee turnover (leaving an organization) is a major organizational phenomenon. Employee turnover is important to organizations, individuals, and society. From the organizational perceptive, employee turnover can represent a significant cost in terms of recruiting, training, socialization, and disruption, as well as a variety of indirect costs. Given the significance of turnover, it is important for the manager and prospective manager to be able to analyze, understand, and effectively, manage employee turnover. ” (Mobley, 1982).

Employee turnover is not a new issue. It is relevant today and its importance will be even greater in the future. Many analysts believe that there may be 20milion jobs unfilled by the end of 2008.this are approximately twice the number of unfilled positions today. A blue-chip manufacturer announces 53,000layoffs world wide, a leading financial institution plan to shed 8,000jobs, and a Big-Three automobile maker cuts 1,200 positions in a single plant.

In a study during the2001-2003 recession, 90%of the 109 executives surveyed said that they were finding it difficult to attract and retain the best people in the organization (Dell and Hickey, 2002).

The question is why are some of our best employees choosing to leave and what is being done?

The number-

· One reason people leave their jobs is because they "don't feel appreciated," according to the U.S. Department of Labor. What's a manager to do? Start by offering praise to employees that's individualized, deserved, and specific.

· Most of us believe our employees leave us for money reasons

Retention success tied to money, but it's much more than salaries

Companies are trying to determine ways to effectively retain their employees without becoming involved in salary wars. A review of the literature reveals that while the traditional methods of motivation and development first identified by Maslow and Herzberg still apply, they are not sufficient to stem the flow of employees from company to company. Salaries have become a major motivator for some employees for job selection.

Seventeen factors were identified to have some impact, but the five main drivers identified in the study are: a supportive culture that allows employee to experiment and grow, job satisfaction, opportunities for growth, organizational direction and goals, and recognition of work/life balance needs. Roberts (1999) discusses the importance of learning about employees the same way that companies learn about their customers. He discusses using data warehouses and data marts to learn what employees do and what then responding to their needs and improving retention. Tehrani (1998) and Duboff and Heaton (1999) discuss the importance of taking the information obtained and creating employee service centers.

Provide service to employees in the same way that companies provide customer service and care centers to customers as ways of achieving higher employee loyalty. Austin (1998) stresses that the effort for employee retention must come from the top. The effort to develop good retention must be a primary goal of managers at all levels in the organization, and it must be a consistent goal that is developed and reinforced over time. As such it can only occur if supported at the highest levels in the organization. This does not mean that compensation and pay issues can be ignored. Thomas Hoffman (1998) reports on a Society for Information Management (SIM) survey. Although sense of community and other factors are important, financial compensation is still the one greatest influence on employee retention.

Managing retention is a constant challenge for any organization. The awareness of the issue has heightened in the last decade, and, from all indications, the problem will be more serious in the future decades. Even in slow economic times, most HR executives find attracting and retaining talent to be a big problem.

From India, Hyderabad
sidhu1972

Hello Everyone,
Its not new topic. Why there is need of HR????
Pls discuss this topic first. Every one ll get the solution of RETENTION.
Come and discuss first, why HR is needed for organisation????
Regards
Sidheshwar

From India, Bangalore
dalfiv
hi,
the way u have classified the causes of attrition is really nice.
i am doing my project on attrition too. I have to bring about those characteristics or traits in an individual who tend to hop from one orgn to another. Then try n form a standard questionnaire on the basis of which one can test if the applicant will leave the organization or not...
can u pls help me with this one?

From India, Mumbai
randhirsinha
Hi,
It is a very vast topic and very useful information is shared above. Can somebody forward me the retention policy if any MNC has formed that will be quite helpful in making my project work at my email id .
Thanks
RK Sinha

From India, Ludhiana
gaggan_sahni

How come u guys so sure that the real thing would come out of the Exit Interview...normally exiting employee take it as a formality.....even when i had moved from one company to another and exit interview was done ...i didnt said the real motive of leaving......i manipulated things....hence exit interview can only be a success when the approach of HR is genuine and they ensure that the reality comes out of it.........and the person leaving has a firm belief that his words would count and not be limited to files only.......The Three Major reasons why people leave is First Irrant Boss, Compensation and Finally much work Stress and job pressure ..If companies work on these three factor it would eliminate attrition down to 5%-9% from the current trend of 20%-25%.........Attrition cannot ever be eliminated but yes it can be controlled to the minimal....
From United Kingdom
saravanan44
Hi,

As a person who has worked in BPO for 14 months i can say a few words about why the attrition rate is very high in BPO. First of all these persons work in UK or US shifts. They cannot cope up with the pressure with which they had to take calls while everyone else is sleeping. That too customers shout at you like anything. But all you have to do is keep silent and answer him patiently. There is no growth except in terms of money. Even if you reach the highest level the pressure becomes more and not less. All the while working in night shifts you get fed up and tend to leave the job even without experience letter. All have a negative impact on BPO as Callcenters and second thoughts. If someone says your working in a BPO means everyone will think you as a bad person especially girls. So they feel to leave the job for others sake as well. Mostly if you work for a home broadband means your gone. You dont get leave for the holidays in UK or US as well as you dont get holidays for local or national holidays in our country too. For the sake of getting a leave you need to cry with your manager or TL for atleast 1 week surely before preparing the roster. The worst thing in a BPO is we have to log in to avaya phone and go for breaks. You get 30 minutes exactly for lunch. If u exceed it means your issued a warning letter. So many people tend to eat fastly even at night times. And also only 2 or 3 persons at a time can get a break. Most of the time you have to go alone and also the SL desk people will fix your dinner timings and not you. When they ask you to go for dinner you need to go. They wil also ask you to extend the shifts by 1 or 2 hours but your not paid for it. Then TL wil give team briefings at a time when we are feeling sleepy and wil also ask you to take more calls and reduce the Average Handling Time. You have to take a call and resolve the issue mostly within 25 to 30 min. Life loses its value once u work in a BPO

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.