varun_v
Dear All,
Pl tell me regarding appointment of contractual labour on permanent basis for production. Also, can one organisation can do so. If yes, what preacautions and documentation it has to maintain regarding with regards to compliane of various laws.
If not, why and wht would be the consequences ?
Also, i'd heard tht there is a judgement of supreme court in this regard. If u have the case details, Pl let me know.
Thnk You,
Regards,
Varun

From India, New Delhi
gautamkg
Dear Varun,
As per the latest decision by five judge member of SC in the SAIL case, the principal employer is under no obligation to absorb contract workers where the contract labour has been abolished. However, this is applicable only to seasonal jobs and jobs which are not core to the business. Hence, using contract labour for production jobs will not be legally valid and in case of executive intervention (State Labour dept) there is a chance of contract labour system being abolished and absorbed.
I'm also attaching the report of the Second Commission on Labour which has a dedicated chapter on contract labour (page 52).
As to the second part of your question, using contract labour for core jobs (jobs related to production or central to the business) is exploitation of labour and hence shall be abolished.
Hope your queries are answered.

From India, Pune
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: pdf 2nd_national_commission_on_labour_report_188.pdf (337.8 KB, 468 views)

marinelawyer@hotmail.com
Dear All is the above mentioned SC judgement in the SAIL case still valid or overruled by some latest one
From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.