No Tags Found!

omais
Dear All,
This problem is faced by many HR team. we can solve this probelm by the foll ways:-
1- Give OT
2- Talk to their dept head, and discuss the problem....whether it is lack of efficiency or less manpower.
3- If they worked more than 2 hours extra - then allow them 30 mins late
4- If they are working extra hours for some particular job or project, then promise them for reward after completing this work.
Above all - HR response will depend on the employee who has the concern.. we see his face..read his face and answer him..
Thanks

From Qatar
jkamya
Hi Pooja,
It can be an exception the next day if an employee came in late supposedly because he or she worked till late the previous day provided it does not become a norm.
Secondly such must have been sanctioned by his or her superiors who supervise him or him.
If not sanctioned by superiors then the employee must be in office the usual reporting company time.
Note that accepting such excuses when they were not sanctioned does breed a practice of creating reasons for not executing duties. Hence it must be discouraged.
Insightful issues. Thanks.
Johnson

From Uganda
carmelshyam1@gmail.com
Dear ALL
In my organization there are people working with the starting of the estabishment. so they are making a rule for themselves. I introduced a flexible timing for them.so they can come 8,8.30.9 but they have to work 8.45 mns ................
Kindly adopt tis time flexibility some time it will work out

From India, Mumbai
swarnesh
working late and coming late shows lack of planning and this is the responsibility of HR to notice and direct their seniors for corrective action
From India, Mumbai
swarnesh
I have worked with different organizations of same industry and experenced that those working with time limits are getting better business.
From India, Mumbai
mksharma63

In my experience as Senior Manager, discipline starts from top. If Boss is coming on time half of problem is solved.

Majority of employees fall in line when they observe their seniors on time. Such seniors when only raise their eyes brows, the subordinates respond positively.

These seniors when ask anyone to stay late once in while nobody takes it otherwise next day. But if your work environment demands the same quite often than it's a system fault not of employees and giving relaxation in arrival time next day will earn not only regards of employee but also get their work done by meeting dead lines.

Only a fraction of employees are bad element who deliberately don't want to fall in line. They need to be tackled with iron hand.

Irony is, when management and managers are afraid of dealing with such defaulters strictly to buy temporary peace (?), than it affects the morale of other disciplined employees too. This leads to a situation where there is total chaos.......

Still in my view a good HR/ Operations manager has no option but to be rationale while deciding correction plan for late comers to ensure that no right person gets punishment who is productive to organisation and no wrong person is spared.........

We must not forget in todays times so many lala firms are making their staff stay late as a part of their blood sucking programme of poor employees. But I can say it with conviction that this staying late is not increasing the productivity in any way.....

From India, Delhi
audnis

July 11, 2009

This is a blunt reply to any employee by Mr.Malik. Methodical reply and table paper work is not the present thing.What HR is thinking of themselves?

Understand this now:

As an employee of a company people has to listen to many officers or boss's boss's boss's BOSS. Employees/works peoples are taken for granted. When an employee is doing any work and you dump them with another work knowing it he cannot finish it before the day of his duty finishes, how come you are answering this way. Yes exceptionally if any employee is lazy and taking for granted about his work then decepliniary action, notice and removal way is already there. So that point of view does not come for discussion for late coming.

HR managers are just taking hefty salary and only make rules. Yes first demarcate work rules. Who he works for? I am witness to many companies as an example; where secretaries are employed for big bosses, and they just trim their nails. When the Boss even asks hai ......ma get me that file please....she replies ....Are abhi tho diyana...samne Shelf main hai le lo na. For this pet reply the Boss is happy and giving her gifts, lifts and good pay packets.

HR should see every one works and not waste time. Even his Boss is under their rule of company. You will not extend any personal benefit to him at the cost of employee and the company.

If one boss's secretary has no work..immediately tell the boss our company cannot afford like this we will change her to a male employee then you will see the Boss will give more work to her which otherwise is being handled by other staffs meant for this lady staff, (or HR Manager will be asked to give his/her resignation) because the lady secretary is his pet.

So every employee has to put 8 hrs of work or as per Minimum Wages Act. or the rules of the Govt. under which the company situated and nothing more. First HR should know what is rules and applicable to all employees. Even the boss is an employee as far as a company Ltd.. So he cannot say I am the Owner.

If you suck more work then compensate them. Money is the same exchange for commodity for every one. While earning the company make all silly things, but when paying the staff they make foul cry.

As far as late coming:

While employing please ensure:

1. How the employee going to commute to his place of work from his place of stay. This includes if he is staying in a temporary accommodation then when shifts how he will manage.

2. Secondly still the employee is good catch due to his exp. etc. whether the company going to compensate his travel expenses???

3. I tell you a fair example; in a city like Mumbai people travel by train mostly for long distances;- but the situation of place of work say Bandra at B-K complex, or Andheri Kurla Road, or Kurla or Nariman Point, he has to get three transport to get to his work. Once the employee leaves the office the company least bothered how he is going to commuttee to his residence. This is fact of present days. This is also a thinking how the employee is going to reach home? for his return to work next day? Have u studied this. Let the HR Manager travel with the staff one day and see for himself. Then recommend to his company and staff what is the solution.

So Human mind has to understand the employees needs and their difficulties.

Mumbai Like cities people staying beyond Andheri are in Hell. They travel like worst than animals. Even animals transportation they have moving space and gaps between two animals. If you need go and stand on the road and check for yourself.

They dont have any social activities, nor any extra curricular activities. They get up from bed, and sleep in train and work in office, again sleep in train and again go home and sleep. Even children may asks who this uncle mummy?????

This is the reason for the lot of illegal things taking place in society.

So HR a Professional Body has to improve means first let them identify the needs of employees. Don;t bother about your company first.

First check whether employees are happy?

If not then discuss with each employees about their problems. Try to solve it. It is not so easy to solve any ones problem.

Only after that compare that against what the company gives them and what is companies policies.

IT companies are paying high salaries and lots of amenities. But due to think they are only one in this world with extra powerful mind??

Any company if ready to unlift themselves to that grade will get more dedicated employees at a reasonable salary. But what employees need is when there is some important matter to be attended to for his personal matters then he should be given compassion and allowed him to attend to his work and return to work when his work is over. That moral gives high degree of dedication and the employee will be turned into an asset for company.

I know in my life our CA who stay nearby office and residence used to come to us only after 6.30 pm for discussion. Ok those time we used to sit late also as a dedicated employees.

But later on he brings people who leaves on time, but we are allowed to stay long hours.

Once I decided to decipline our time and work after I attended a seminar, saying employees who sits late are not a dedicated workers.

That day the new employee told me our CA is going to come in the evening after 6.30 pm for discussion. I bluntly told you stay back and take down what discussion took place and give me in writing. I cannot stay after 6 pm my time hereon.

Ya there was no reply from him and there was no commotion. The CA came next day at 10 am to discuss. When there is a Will there is a Way. But it should be within the framework of the rules.

If an employee is asked to stay late for some urgent work of special reason, then higher a Tourist vehicle for him to go home at company cost, leave alone company do not pay him extra but atleast food is provided, so atleast once he go home he can go to sleep peacefully with extra rest in the car.

From Saudi Arabia
Chandar Rajasekaran
Hi, this problem needs to be tackled in an amicable way with mutual understanding and cooperation from both sides. We can tolerate late-comings provided the person has helped you staying late in completing the assignments previously. So it is better that an employer keeps track of such events. There is nothing wrong in a give-and-take policy. You can tolerate a situation like so-many days of staying late can be adjusted with so-many day of coming late. :)However, chronic late comings should not be entertained.
From India, Madras
audnis

Actually I drafted my opinion without going into anyother persons opinion except of Mr.Malik. Later when I read every other members reply I am amazed to find a good letter of Corporate Leader, Hard working Industrialist who has dedicated his life for what is Infosys today: So Mr.Murthys letter to employees is certainly an eyeopener and just hand a copy of this mail to every employee to study and dedicate themselves. You can even frame the letter at prime places for peoples to read including on notice board.

Yes Broader outlook to the problem has a simple solution:

Mail sent by Narayan Murthy to all Infosys staff:

It's half past 8 in the office but the lights are still on...

PCs still running, coffee machines still buzzing...

And who's at work? Most of them ??? Take a closer look...

All or most specimens are ??

Something male species of the human race...

Look closer... again all or most of them are bachelors...

And why are they sitting late? Working hard? No way!!!

Any guesses???

Let's ask one of them...

Here's what he says... 'What's there 2 do after going home...Here we get to surf, AC, phone, food, coffee that is why I am working late...Importantly no bossssssss!!!!!!!!!!!'

This is the scene in most research centers and software companies and other off-shore offices.

Bachelors 'Passing-Time' during late hours in the office just bcoz they say they've nothing else to do...

Now what r the consequences...

'Working' (for the record only) late hours soon becomes part of the institute or company culture.

With bosses more than eager to provide support to those 'working' late in the form of taxi vouchers, food vouchers and of course good feedback, (oh, he's a hard worker... goes home only to change..!!).

They aren't helping things too...

To hell with bosses who don't understand the difference between 'sitting' late and 'working' late!!!

Very soon, the boss start expecting all employees to put in extra working hours.

So, My dear Bachelors let me tell you, life changes when u get married and start having a family... office is no longer a priority, family is... and

That's when the problem starts... b'coz u start having commitments at home too.

For your boss, the earlier 'hardworking' guy suddenly seems to become a 'early leaver' even if u leave an hour after regular time... after doing the same amount of work.

People leaving on time after doing their tasks for the day are labelled as work-shirkers...

Girls who thankfully always (its changing nowadays... though) leave on time are labelled as 'not up to it'. All the while, the bachelors pat their own backs and carry on 'working' not realizing that they r spoiling the work culture at their own place and never realize that they would have to regret at one point of time.

So what's the moral of the story??

* Very clear, LEAVE ON TIME!!!

* Never put in extra time ' unless really needed '

* Don't stay back unnecessarily and spoil your company work culture which will in turn cause inconvenience to you and your colleagues.

There are hundred other things to do in the evening..

Learn music...

Learn a foreign language...

Try a sport... TT, cricket.........

Importantly,get a girl friend or boy friend, take him/her around town...

* And for heaven's sake, net cafe rates have dropped to an all-time low (plus, no fire-walls) and try cooking for a change.

Take a tip from the Smirnoff ad: *'Life's calling, where are you??'*

Please pass on this message to all those colleagues and please do it before leaving time, don't stay back till midnight to forward this!!!

IT'S A TYPICAL INDIAN MENTALITY THAT WORKING FOR LONG HOURS MEANS VERY HARD WORKING & 100% COMMITMENT ETC.

PEOPLE WHO REGULARLY SIT LATE IN THE OFFICE DON'T KNOW TO MANAGE THEIR TIME. SIMPLE !

Regards,

NARAYAN MURTHY.

From Saudi Arabia
maheshkulkarni
All employees must come in time as a rule. It can only be relaxed once in a while for personal reasons, preferable with permission. But staying late for work is in no way an excuse for coming late to work. If this is happening regularly the workload, the work and the employee need to be re-looked at.
If the employee has people reporting to him, what will be their direction if the boss comes late. They will be de-motivated, de-moralised and will have a casual attitude towards their work. The best thing to do is give a clear direction and focus for the day to the team first thing in the morning. This does wonders to their performance.

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.