K.Ravi

If you are in India kindly note that smoking in Public is banned and also in establishments and do note that the smell of cigarettes is too disturbing to non smokers like me. I just hate people who smoke,, yuk:beatup::beatup:, and you promote smoking just because they perform, well well
U know construction laborers dont eat much food but eat tobacco which gives them power to work, so if some employee loves tobacco will you allow chewing tobacco in office, or if someone says new ideas come when they have a peg or two will you allow them to drink,,, ?????????? Because you are too conscious about employees MOODS,, when they workk,, so dude for everyone mood is different some drink, chew tobacco, some listen to music and so on,, u cant allow everything to go on,,,
u seem like a little kid who has been given extra power,,
:no::no::no:
As if in this world there arent any people who have left smoking without getting fat,,

From India, Pune
anooprana764
Hi,
I myself being a smoker and a HR Manager at a Manufacturing unit and have 2 units under me. We have a flexible policy on smoking and even we have flexi timing and I have seen all be in limits so forget of imposing any kind of breaks and strictures.Let them smoke and Performance part will be taken by the appraisal process.
Dont forget that employees do say late hours as per the need of the work and smoking is a kind of craving for nicotine and that one needs to satisfy that OR that will lead to poor concentration in the work.
Every thing cant have written rules & regulation some are conventions. We dont provide any fag chambers nor do we allow smoking inside the plant premises.
Lets be flexible after it is HR and human are the assets not an instruments. Understand that difference because what a Organization culture we provide to an individual employee in every sense can directly or indirectly affect our retention strategy.
Ponder on it
Thanks & Regards
Anoop Rana
Manager HR

From India, New Delhi
K.Ravi

So if someone craves for romance will u allow that to ease tension,,, :-D:-D:-D:-D and since you smoke you will die soon :-D:-D:-D goodbyee :-D:-D:-D
From India, Pune
K.Ravi

I am posting some posters showing effects of smoking please take printout and keep in your office smoking chamber,,
From India, Pune
harsha_chintu

Hi,

I feel that smoking is a personal thing for an individual and should not be linked to the performance of the employee. Some of our friends here have commented that smoking increases the productivity etc.

But as an Organization which cares about its employees, some awareness programs on anti-smoking can be introduced. We in our company had successfully bought the smoking rate down by a contest. Here, we have identified some employees who smoke and are classified under 3 categories :

1. Pass time smokers - employees who smoke 1 or 2 cigarattes during the office hrs. Many employees including women fall under this category. These employees smoke only for fun and are not addicted to smoking. Also you wont find these employees smoking alone.. they will generally smoke in groups.

2. Light smokers - employees who smoke around 2-5 cigarettes during the office hrs. Many young and senior employees fall under this category. These employees are addicted to smoking.

3. Heavy smokers - employee who smoke more than 5 cigarettes during the office hrs. Many Top Management employees will be in this category. These employees generally tend to smoke when they discuss any critical issues.

Now, about the contest, we have announced that in each category, employee who smokes less/ doesnt smoke during the office hrs contoniously for 1 month will be awared a cash prize etc.

Trust me guys, this contest has converted almost all the pass time smokers non smokers.

There is also a very significant change in the light smokers category.

But to be frank, there is no significant change found in the heavy smokers category as these employees have been smoking since so many years and are not ready to quit/ reduce smoking for any reason.

Hence, by using such tactics, we can bring some kind of change/ awarness among the employees.

Regards
Harsha.

From India
vimehta
Hi,
I ll use a bit of psychology,the desire of a mind to get a smoke cannot be generalised with respect to parameters of time.We have several kind of smokers depending on the respective intensity.Doing it on an organisation level would definitely be difficult.
Secondly,even if you frame a set of rules,making people stick to it is the next situation you would confront

From United States, Fremont
Paladin

The smoking issue is, at best, controversial, and, at worse, divisive. Controversial because it pits one group with good intentions (good health, lower insurance costs, less absenteeism, etc.) against another, those who actually enjoy smoking and feel it is beneficial to their mental well-being.

Divisive because non-smokers see smoke breaks as additional time away from work. They see the smoke break as a non-productive waste of time, and they tend to resent it because they have no opportunity for similar "breaks".

One thing is certain, I don't think you can force employees to quit smoking. You can try, by means of an incentive - subsidize a quit smoking program, or provide a discount on insurance premiums for non-smokers, or other means to convince employees to stop smoking.

But keep in mind what another poster said - those who quit tend to gain weight and become sluggish.

Consider setting up a "smoking room" where employees can smoke and work at the same time. It will eliminate complaints of "excessive breaks" since the smoker will be working, guilt free, and therefore being more productive. The room should have desks, and telephones, at a minimum, perhaps even a beverage machine.

Further, a few chairs and tables would complete and compliment the room. It would be open to anyone who does not object to smoking or smoke (which should be exhausted out of the room by some means.)

While the controversy over the benefits and drawbacks of smoking will continue, the knowlwdge that smokers are working rather than taking a "smoke break" should go far to end the divisiveness in the workplace.

From United States,
rajaphale
Ash Mathew - you write well.
Why are we encouraging a bad habit in the first place (and increase medical costs , and loose good people in the long run?). BTW please check the mediclaim forms of these employees - some of them may have ticked - not smoking!
In the west companies are encouraging employees to quit smoking, a la smoking anonymous. Try yoga instead (it works). To counter a bad habit encourage a good habit.
Also don't you think giving smoking breaks is unfair to people who do not smoke and hence do not take these breaks? A break is time off and that is how many people look at it. Can someone not work hard and not smoke?
I am against smoking and not against smokers. I feel for them as they are killing themselves. Many of them want to quit but can not. So let us help them. More breaks is not a solution certainly.

Adv. Pragmatic
Yes, you may increase the working hours for the employees who smoke besides reducing their health benefits.
From India, Delhi
lijesh.lakshman
I came across an ad in television some years back...its was about subsitute for cigarattes (Click or Clickz - Not sure about the product name). It gives the same aroma tobacco, it is smoke less and harmless...
From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.