Ash Mathew

Dear Sia,
Depends on the interviewer / employer.
For instance we have two of our units based out of a very remote area. So, we dont prefer our candidates to struggle by going and searching for places to have lunch.
As far as out Corporate Office is concerned, we prefer candidates to have lunch from outsiode - we mostly do not let them be around with our employees and have lucnch or even be disturbed by asking for what position they are being interviewed.

From India, Madras
kalpeshboys

i was gone for post of Relationship Officer at kotack direct, and i have not wear formal as well as scowl in place of shoes.
so HR ha told me to come with shoes on next day, when i go back on next day with fully uniformed, HR has wear jeans and job was for marketing, so i have not join, if HR has taken my interview on first day then, i don't need to go again.

From India, Pune
SomGollakota

I guess it does depend on the company. When I read your post, I was upset thinking how a company can act so unprofessionally. But as I was reading the other comments, I kind'a started thinking... There are actually two sides to it.

Firstly, how a company treats their potential employees shows (or at least makes one wonder) how they would treat their employees. Making a candidate wait for 3 or 4 hours for an interview shows complete disregard and disrespect to the candidate's time and personal needs. I may have an emergency doc's appointment at 4 and would've thought I will attend my interview (because I need that job) from 1 to 2, and go to the doc. But because of the wait, I miss my doc's appointment. I may be a diabetic who requires food or medication every hour or two hours. Any number of such situations could happen. It is important to keep an appointment. If you cannot due to a last minute emergency, then make arrangements for an alternative interviewer or contact the interviewee, apologize for having to reschedule the interview, and set up a different time, before the interviewee shows up.

Secondly, how an interviewee takes this whole wait thing, I suppose, also depends on how the company treats the interviewee during wait time. Allowing the interviewee to socialize with the employees shows trust – we trust our employees to give you a good feeling about the company. We trust you to be a positive force among our employees, learn about our work life, and how we are with each other on a day-to-day basis. After all, if you are selected in this interview, you will be one of us. Letting the interviewee participate in such activities (not some math exercises or quizzes etc., but real) “a day at our company being an employee” kind of activities (nothing company confidential, but very general) would make the interviewee not mind the wait – because then (s)he is not waiting. It would be a part of the interview process – because, you can also analyze if he/she is a good cultural fit in your company. In this case, regardless of how the “actual” interview goes, the candidate will take away a good feeling about the company.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Thanks,
--Som G

From United States, Woodinville
gauri_HR
but i have seen in most of the companies there is a practice to give appointment and then make wait.
the i do n ot understand why the give an appointment instead they can go for walk ins.
if you are giving appointment then one should keep the time.
delay of 15 minutes can be well understood but i do not know why people do not have any importance of keeping time.

From India, Pune
gurramsatya

Hi! This is GS Swami, joined the group today....
I would also like to share few of my personal experiences that I faced during interviews.
Once in an interview, I was asked - "How I have landed here?". I was confused at this question. I was not able to get what they wanted to know - wheather they wanted to ask me related to the position or reaching the place of interview. This is a tricky question, for which I asked the interviewer to clear my question and could reply to them.
At some times while we take interviews - we ask candidates few questions. Once during the interview, the candidate started questioning us about the job responsibility, place of posting, office timings, etc. even before the interview was actually begun. He was very talkative.
We frequently encounter these types of people during interviews.

From India, Pune
Ash Mathew

Hi GS Swami,
What they meant about how you landed there - was dehinitely not about how you reached there. Its on how you chose to be in that profession and reached that stage and what what made you chose to attend that interview.
In the second scenario:
Always its better to educate the candidate about the position, responsibilities and job location and find their understanding / interest - and then interview (and increase their interst level if they are the perfect match)

From India, Madras
sharmaneesu

I agreed with Asha, we also do the same thing, yes we also offer tea/coffee and water obviously. regards, Nishu
From India, New Delhi
raghunath_bv

Hi sarmaneesu,
The typical question are :
how differently wrok
how soon you get angry,
do you belive in philosophy,
rate your skills from 1 - 10
stress interviews some time becomes haywire.
So called Mgmt consultants are indulging in spoil game , because he/she has a limitation, they cannot think beyond a point , will indulge in unncessary arguments thereby spoiling the whole concept of interview.

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.