Jhuma Tiwade

Hi ,
I completely agree with the above statement. If you a harrasement policy taking action and doing inquiry becomes easier. You can still do the needful now.
You can mention that clause of non-entertainment of verbal complaints, strict disciplinary action against guilty and other relevant clauses. Circulate a hard copy and get acknowledgement of all the staff. This will send a signal to the accused, if he is really harrasing the female collegue.
Since your groundwork is not very strong, sending a generic message does the work. It will also ensure a stronger support from any harressed victims in future.

From India, Mumbai
businesspartner

Unfortunate incedent. I agree with Simhan and TS. I would not completely agree with Annika.

Navdeep,

TS explained the formal procedure to deal with this menace and is the most appropriate. As an alternative, let me ask you

> How was this issue reported to you (written/verbal)?

> Have you got any form of writing remotely indicating the issue from any of the complainants?

If the lady is not ready to give any form of written complaint/ statement would the Project Manager, who is insisting to take some action be ready to give in writing (he can very well do a it is his jurisdiction)...... Moreover, you said that the manager had kept on calling (i guess by phone) the lady for a month but now stopped calling...... could it be considered that he has improved from then?....is the lady unable to recover/ work around from an earlier instance?

If these options are not in order, I am sorry that you cant do much to help the situation. As rightly said even police wouldn't do anything.

For any covert operation, based on your seniority, there should be a strong recorded reason that justifies your act. Any hasty decisions could fire back at you.

In another angle this could also be a result of some fallback/ differences between the lady and the Train.Manager OR maybe the PM and the Train.Manager where the lady is being used to settle scores???

Now, let me tell you my recent experience. My own sister, working in a reputed Hospitality firm as Management Trainee faced a difficulty with a line manager of Ops. After initial ignoring when the problem got more difficult (as in lewd comments/ erratic phone calls) she reported to the Personnel Manager. She stood firm on her ground, and am really proud of her for that. The management responded quickly and investigated the issue with a solid support to her. He was found guilty and strong action is on the way. All this happened because she acted the way she should in the first place (and of course God's grace). Hence without proper channel, the issue could back fire at anyone.

Hope this should help you a decision.

God bless.

From India, Mumbai
swarneshss
Dear All,
This is a typical problem in many organisations.I would suggest that the HR person can take into confidence her HR Senior(aggressive man) and speak to the Male trainer.She needs to speak to him in a specific way that like she got to know from a reliable source that he was trying to call up this lady and she has misunderstood that he is interested in her and she is feeling uncomfortable about it.By this discussion you will send a message to this guy that his act is not acceptable and it has reached HR as well.Then try and find out a different trainer for her.
Hope this suggestion works out.
Regards
Swarnesh

From India, Madras
swarneshss
One more point even if you need proof at a later stage (if that male trainer denies) you can take call statement of both the numbers from the mobile operator and that could be the proof even in police.
I completly understand that since she is a lady and new to the organisation.so she is not willing to give it in writing.
You just cant leave it like that then the faith on you would be lost.
Regards
Swarnesh

From India, Madras
loginmiracle

Dear Navdeep,
I think this is an isolated case emerging from oral descriptions, not formally moved. It may be risky even for Navdeep to take it up further. If the accused happens to be a close friend of Navdeep he can informally talk to him about the problem the fresher lady is facing. A think of Going to police etc. appears to be too much. Especially presently it remains as one side story only. How much a third person can do in the circumstances explained is a big question. If Navdeep is bold enough and willing to take a risk sans victimisation he could as well talk to the other senior and caution him about her feelings & experience with him and advise/request him to correct his ways & approaches with her with a view to settle the matter within the three persons involved.
kumar.s.

From India, Bangalore
businesspartner

I appreciate Kumar's support for Navdeep. She is already started getting deviated opinions.
HR represents the employee and the employer, but is essentially a professional with a human touch. Doing espionage on others without proper warrant (read, authorization from seniors) would do more harm not only to the complainant but also to whosoever who's pursuing the case.
HR is no superhuman, or above the corporate hierarchy and expectations to perform out of the box in this sensitive case could back fire without doubt.
I shared my recent experience, to show how much i care of such issues and to vet my reason to be involved in a dailogue.
Navdeep, I guess you have got your answer, you may follow TS, Jhuma, Kumar and Simhan.
Thanks.

From India, Mumbai
yshank

Dear Navdeep,
This is serious case and if its happening you should stop it.
1) If girl/woman is not comfortable with other person, she has to go to Harassment committee where in mostly ladies are the committee members.
2) If girl/woman is not comfortable with other person, she has to give in writing about the problem and root cause to HR/Admin.
3) If girl/woman is not comfortable with other person, she has to talk to that person in presence of HR/Admin representative about the problem. Also Take a one on one meeting with them by HR/Admin Representative.
finally submit the report to top management in writing or by addressing by any other means.
Also watch post event activities for confirmation

From India, New Delhi
Nkit
Dear Navdeep
If she doesnt want to create any issue and be a part of any issue then why the hell do you want to create an issue ? Without hand written statement nothing tangible can come out dude...
Regards
Ankit

From India
archana.sonvane
Dear All,
I agree with you but as an HR professional i think we should give that much of comfort level to our employees so that they can easily open in front of us. Most of the times female employees hesitate when asked to give anything in written i have faced the same problem in my company but if we give confidence that nothing will happen to her in future & management will support them they discloses every problem. Another thing written complaint is an evidence on the basis of which we can take any action if a person is not ready to give anything in written convince that person. If he / she is not ready then discuss this problem with your seniors & you can pass this message in open meeting that this is happening & that time you need not to take anyone's name that message will be general message.
It will surely help you.
Regards,
Archana

From India, Mumbai
VIKRAM SAMUEL
Hi Navdeep
My point is silently observe two people conduct, you can also think in this side like the girl may blame
simply you can educate the girl about whistle blowing policy, in this only the top decision people may get involved not the opposite party and this will be kept confidential by the management and of course punishment to the deviated employee.
Just ask the girl when the person called during night time and then get the itemized phone statement from the telecom company you tied.
and with the help the statement we can easily prove with out investigation or you can call the person directly and can ask the reason to call during un official time.
regards
Vikram.D

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.