Respectable professionals, Please advise being HR professionals to what extent one can face legal affairs of the organization? And if case put up against the organization by employee then HR personnel is required to visit court and lawyer? or some other dept can also handle it like medical services department of hospital. Please your expert views.
From Pakistan
Dear Abdul,

This is the internal matter of your company. We the members of this forum are outsiders. We do not know the facts of the case even superficially.

If some employee files a suit against the company then company is the respondent. In such a case the owner may tell you to represent the company in the court as one of the witnesses. You need to represent your employers to the best of your capacity.

Who is a better to person to depose before the court as witness that your lawyer will decide in consultation with the employer. Generally lawyers give brief to their witnesses about the court case a day before.

It appears that you have got butterflies in your stomach for your probable appearance in the court. Do not be shy of going to the court of law. This is a experience in itself. You will get exposure to the court proceedings. Neither you should show keenness to go to court nor you should be a bundle of nerves!


Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Sir, Dinesh Divekar ji has rightly expressed correct views on the subject as above. However, if you want any clarification on any other aspect, it will be more better if you may intimate the correct and complete facts and your problems or doubts in the matter.
From India, Noida

HR departments do handle legal cases,if there is no separate legal department.Normally details of the case,documents etc will be procured from concerned department and lawyer will fight on behalf of company.HR becomes a nodal point for interaction with lawyer.
When a case is filed against the company-HR will have to make point wise reply(para wise reply) Your lawyer or legal department will look into legal aspect of the case and represent the company.
You should look upon such cases as learning experiences and do full homework about the case and help your company to win.

From India, Pune
Mr.Nathrao as expressed rightly, it is a practice followed in the establishments to look after the legal matters in the absence of legal department, normally in the manufacturing units, there will not be separate legal dept., hence, HR has to take care
From India, Mumbai
Dear Mr. Abdul,
Normally Cos. will have Legal Advisors who are specialist in Labour Matters like Termination, ID, WC, Accident cases, PF, ESI etc., Company HR should liaison with the Legal Advisors & provide him with all documents & brief so that when the case comes up in Court for hearing, he is able to defend the Co.
As rightly pointed out by Learned Members Dineshji, HK Mehta, Nathrao, these situations gives exposures to HR to face court cases & how to deal with them. HR has to accept such works; though it is Legal & should not shy away; but learn the things to enrich ones knowledge of Legal Procedure to help the Co. in such times.
Wish u good luck.

From India, Mumbai
Thank you very much seniors for your expert views. I do really appreciate all the views posted above. It really gave me courage to stand out and see things from different perspective. Regards.
From Pakistan
Abdul bhai,

If you are stationed in Pakistan, I have no first hand inf. on practices followed in Pak. I only can state what is possible in India. Generally two types of scenarios so far litigations with employees are concerned. One is what employer initiated by means of Domestic Inquiry and the second is from employees side on the employer which may land in courts & tribunals. Almost all HR related issues should be handled by HR Dept. only. There cannot be occasions where medical services would handle court cases. Even in hospitals either the HR or Legal Dept. should handle court cases, may be by engaging regular practioners. In bigger co. legal advisers will be appointed who would coordinate with the advocates attending on behalf of the employers. A full time employees though from legal fraternity cannot attend and argue cases in the courts. Those registered with the Bar councils of the territory only will be granted practioner licence to represent the parties in the courts. However officials of HR can depose for or against the employees as the case may be as witness or to submit records and assist counsels.

From India, Bangalore

If you are knowledgeable about any other fact, resource or experience related to this topic - please add your views using the reply box below. For articles and copyrighted material please only cite the original source link. Each contribution will make this page a resource useful for everyone.

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2021 Cite.Co™

All Material Copyright And Trademarks Posted Held By Respective Owners.
Panel Selection For Threads Are Automated - Members Notified Via CiteMailer Server