I go through your excel sheet. Please amend in last two column, First identify whatever the skill required for particular designation, & then Remarks whatever the skill employee had.
Based on the skill requirement identify the training need.
For any firther quiry contact me on
3rd April 2010 From India, Surat
I viewed the sheet you prepared and have the following questions;
1. Are you designing this for a particular team or is it an organization wide exercise?
2. What is the time frame have you considered for this exercise?
3. What is the end result you want to arrive at?
4. Are you directing this exercise to an individual or trying finding the web and connecting the individual to the job delivered?
I have the following suggestion.
A. Divide Teams: In case the team are defined in your organization in terms of the project / nature of work or Business Unit, take a relook at them and define in terms of criticality handled.
B. Define Roles: The roles are predefined in terms of the end result delivered. Differentiate that particular task which would be delivered only in that role. Categorise the tasks to be delivered in terms of simple and complex. Define the criticality of the mistakes? Would a mistake done by a team member reach the client? What would be the cost of mistakes? How much time would it take to train an individual to perform in the role?
C. Define Competency Levels: Define the threshold and differential competency required to deliver the job.
D. Finally link the individual to the role with respect to the team . Once you have defined the roles and competencies map where an individual stand with respect to what they have and what was required .
For eg - Two engineers may work in the same team with same role as Software professional, i.e. Web Designer. Now there may not be a visible difference . But as per the job description one works on Images (Graphics) expert and the other works on coding the website , applications addition , designing etc.This requires the web designer to work online which means one mistake made would directly reach the client . Whereas the Graphic designer may work offline which would be have a quality check before sent to the next team to upload the image, hence have lesser impact of the mistake. Furthermore it implies that both the Software professional may have the same NIIT certification, but the Graphic designer may require to use the Adobe skill set whereas the Web Designer may use ASP.Net.
You can further use your study to identify the skill gap in team. You may find few teams balanced with knowledge whereas few may have skewed skill sets. This would help you to plan your training programs and Knowledge transfer within teams.
Wish you all the best. Please do write back, I look forward to you question.
4th April 2010 From India, Mumbai
1. This exercise is for all the employees of the organization.
2. Time frame as such is not decided. I was given this format by my senior whiach i need to fill and send back to him. But for this process no competencies and skills have identified for the employees. Thats y i am finding a bit difficult to complete this task.Thats y i hv separate format for competency mapping which i am attaching with this post. Kindly go through it.
3. The end result required are competencies and skills of every employee, based on which appraisals would be done.
4. No i want a feedback on this because i am working on this since last 10 days, but I myself know that the end result from this format would not be helpful for any kind of desicion making.
If can provide me your mail id, i can tell u my situation in detail.
4th April 2010 From India, Mumbai