Anonymous
I got a salary increment in month of March. I now want to resign the from my company due to toxic work environment that is going out of hand now. Previously I chose to ignore that and focus on my work, but it is very much to handle now. I have a condition in my increment letter that I have to work minimum six months with the organization after I get the increment. What shall I do in this case? If I resign after 2 months of increment, will they stop my incremented salary in the notice period? Can the company stop my new revised salary?
From India, Surat
Madhu.T.K

What is written in the increment letter? Is it just you have to work for six months post increment or is there any punishment/ consequences shown in the letter, like you have to work for a period of at least six months failing which your increment will be stopped with retrospective effect from the date of increment/ from the date of resignation? If the condition attached to increment is not specific, the same can be challenged, whereas if it is specific, it should be presumed that you have accepted the conditions mentioned in the communication. Though holding increment is unethical, since you have been communicated of the same in advance, your resignation may cause the company to stop increment even with effect from March, the date of increment. Certainly, if the salary on which statutory contributions like EPF are paid is also reduced, the same may lead to issues if the contributions are reduced because of your resignation. But if the employer is contributing the PF contributions on the revised salary itself till you are relieved, that complication will not arise.

Again, if the revised salary is at par with the notified minimum wages then also the employer cannot bring it back or stop the increment. Any salary above it is purely a managerial prerogative.

From India, Kannur
Dinesh Divekar

Dear member,

It is better to resign from a company where the work environment is unpleasant or unhealthful. However, your company has linked the disbursement of salary increments to your tenure with the company. How far this condition is legally tenable, I do not know. Regardless, you may submit a letter of resignation. Most probably, your company will recover the salary increments paid for March and may not pay the additional amount until your last working day.

Whether to wait for six months or not, is a decision you need to make.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
ashok pal

Sir,
An increment is given after annual performance. condition for work after getting increment is against the natural justice. Even a condition also mentioned in increment letter, it is against the rule. Resign the company giving notice period.

From India, Indore
NK SUNDARAM

You know pretty well the terms and conditions of employment. You found the place toxic, only after getting the increment. Obviously, it is apparent that you stayed just for the increment. Now you are asking us the question also. It is natural that the HR Department will go by the terms of appointment, which you have acknowledged and signed, accepting the terms. Please tell me, what options you are expecting from our end ? How to be unethical ? How to jump over the conditions of appointment ??? Just look at your problem from the organisation's view point.

Best wishes

From India
abhishek-tiwari3441579
Whether you can quit your job shortly after receiving a salary increment depends on various factors, including your employment contract, company policies, and professional ethics. Here are some considerations to keep in mind:

Employment Contract: Review your employment contract to understand any notice periods or clauses related to resignations. Some contracts may require you to provide a certain notice period before resigning, which could impact your ability to quit immediately after receiving a salary increment.

Company Policies: Familiarize yourself with your company's policies on resignations and notice periods. Even if your contract does not specify a notice period, your company's policies may require you to provide advance notice before resigning.

Professional Etiquette: Consider the impact of your resignation on your team, projects, and employer. Quitting shortly after receiving a salary increment may be perceived negatively by your employer and colleagues. It's essential to weigh the professional implications and maintain professionalism throughout the resignation process.

Future Employment: Leaving a job shortly after receiving a salary increment may raise questions during future job interviews. Be prepared to explain your reasons for leaving and how it aligns with your career goals and aspirations.

Financial Considerations: Evaluate your financial situation and whether you can afford to leave your job without another job lined up. Consider factors such as savings, financial obligations, and potential unemployment benefits.

Ultimately, the decision to quit your job after receiving a salary increment is a personal one that should be made after careful consideration of all relevant factors. If you decide to resign, ensure that you follow proper resignation procedures, provide appropriate notice, and maintain professionalism throughout the process.

From India, Mumbai
maheswarin-maheswarin
Fixed Basic is for twety six days or twenty seven days
From India, Hyderabad
Vaishalee Parkhi

I agree with the views expressed by Mr. N.K. Sundaram. I see 2 major points here -

1. If it was explicitly mentioned in the Appointment letter clause, it was an employee's choice to accept it or not. Once accepted, nothing can be done. Company must have done it after a few setbacks.
2. Now considering organisation's view point, people resign and company gives salary rise to retain them (especially when the rise is given apart from yearly Appraisal period) Obviously, any organisation would protect it's interest.

Dear anonymous, you need to think from company's view point also.

If you can't sustain to continue there, be ready to even refund the increment amount and go on your terms. If it's viable, wait for next 4 months and then get a new job.

Don't burn your bridges. Aim for a peaceful exit. Isn't it?

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.