No Tags Found!

karan-malik
The following was written in my offer letter at the time of signing.

"You agree and undertake to serve the Company for a minimum period of 1 year from the date of your appointment with the Company. In the event of breach of
this condition, you agree and undertake to reimburse the Company 3 month’s salary against the cost incurred by the Company towards your training and/or otherwise, which shall be without prejudice to any other rights that may be available to the Company under applicable law"

Due to multiple reasons such as a lot of micromanagement and toxic work culture I have now decided to resign after 6 months of employment.

Can this bond be enforced? They have a 3-month long notice period and I'm concerned if this amount will be recovered from my FnF. What are the options I have to make sure I leave without any damages?
P.S. I am an experienced professional and no training whatsoever was imparted to me. The sole probable reason for enforcing such a bond was due to high attrition prevailing in the division I joined.
TIA

From India, Mumbai
aussiejohn

Why did you sign an agreement with such onerous conditions?

This same subject is coming up here on CiteHR almost every week, sometimes more than once. The questions I ask is why are people subjecting themselves to these problems?

First and foremost, you must do your due diligence on the company to make sure that is the right place for you - long before you sign any documents which will bind you to the company. Too many people here on CiteHR are joining companies, only to find out once they are on staff, it isn't what they wanted. Who's fault is that?

At the end of the day, a contract is a contract - and almost all contracts have penalties for non-performance. If you feel you cannot fulfil the conditions of a contract - THEN DON'T SIGN IT - and save yourself a lot of heartache and misery.

From Australia, Melbourne
rkn61

As Mr. John rightly pointed out, a contract is a contract only. Appointment letter of yours is an employment contract,, with 1st party as Employer and 2nd party as Employee that is you.
Once you signed the contract, the terms and conditions mentioned in that contract is applicable to and binding on you.

So our suggestion is that as you have completed six months of service, you may continue for six months more and then resign and leave. You may also get ample time to search and find a suitable job.

From India, Aizawl
pvenu1953@gmail.com

To my knowledge, the Employment Bond is not enforceable unless the Employer has imparted specialized training incurring additional expenditure. This is the well settled legal position and any condition in a contract against public policy is void and hence unenforceable.
From India, Kochi
saswatabanerjee

I agree with Mr. Venu
The clause requiring you to work for a year and the clause to pay a certain amount are both unenforceable.
The only amount that can be asked in reimbursement is an amount paid for actual training (formal training, not on job training).

However it is very much possible that the amount will be deducted from your F&F and going to court over it is an expensive and often futile matter. You obviously want to serve the notice period. If you don't get your salary each month, you can simply refuse to serve the notice period. However, you need to know how your next employer will react to your not having an experience certificate and relieving letter.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.