No Tags Found!

Zie
Dear All, hope you're doing well, staying safe and healthy. Every year my company will hold the Employee Recognition Awards and the categories are Exceptional Performance, Leadership, Customer Focus, Collaboration and Innovation & Change. But, this time the management has decided to add one new category to the award which is "Pro-activeness" category.

As key person of this awards program, I've been asked to prepare a paperwork on how to measure this, the criteria etc. This is my first time doing with where I need to start from scratch. If there are any ideas/references that can help me in building a good framework that would be wonderful. Or if your company has this kind of award category, I really appreciate it if you could share with me.

Regards,
Zie, HR Executive

From Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
Kuldeep Kumar Chauhan

Dear Member, For the "Pro-activeness" category award, I may suggest that pre-condition for this award should be that the employee has demonstrated by way of his recorded actions/ suggestions regarding :-
-process improvement , cost saving, reduction in machine downtime , avoiding safety / accident hazard, quality improvement, energy saving and any other subject which I may have missed out but contributing to heath safety, profit and brand value of the organization.
Such suggestion/ actions can be evaluated be a committee and based on their outcomes, impact and relevance and marking may be done .From the merit list you may then choose 3 on the Top.

From India, Lucknow
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Zie,

Being proactive means creating or controlling a situation rather than just responding to it after it has happened.

Stephen Covey, in his famous book, "The Seven Habits of the Highly Effectively People", has placed "be proactive" as the first habit. Being proactive is the opposite of being reactive. Many times, people neglect the problem when it is small. They start sorting it out when it snowballs. However, sorting out a bigger problem takes a toll on their precious time. Proactiveness helps in preventing the problems. Proactiveness helps in increasing productivity as time is not required to be spent in sorting out the problems.

Stitch in time saves the nine is an age-old proverb in English. Being proactive means living with that proverb. A proactive manager person always keeps himself and others informed. A proactive manager may identify points of friction between/amongst his subordinates and does not allow the matter to reach a flashpoint.

However, in the workplace, defining proactiveness will be a difficult task. For example, a Purchase Manager could be proactive in developing an alternate supplier. This helped in keeping the material available for production. Though you can measure downtime because of the non-availability of the material, how to measure the proactiveness of the Purchase Manager?

Proactiveness is an input that helps the employees in meeting their performance standards and anyway you are giving rewards for that. Then, why introduce an attribute that is invisible?

Rewards and recognition are always for the output that is measurable or tangible. There is one more challenge. If your company starts rewarding an attribute that is undefinable or intangible or immeasurable, there is a risk of a few other employees perceiving it as favouritism.

In view of this, my personal opinion is not to introduce this attribute for the reward and recognition at all. There is no need for it.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
nathrao

Proactive actions are at times difficult to measure and can be subjective.
When subjective actions are measured for grant of awards, then disputes or dissatisfaction can arise.
Criteria for awards should be measureable and distinct.

From India, Pune
nashbramhall

Dear Zie,
Experts in the field have already given their views. As my wont I suggest that more information about the scenario would have helped them to give you a precise answer. For example, information about the field in the organisation works, for what category of workers is the award intended, etc. Kindly read the information at the following sites and tell me if it is of any use.

https://sites.google.com/site/profsh...tive-behaviour

https://hbr.org/2016/10/proactivity-...le-edged-sword

From United Kingdom
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.