manashree-navghare1
Dear all, Please help me with my leave - I want 3 months' leave due to pregnancy but I joined my company 3 months back so can I get leave for pregnancy.
From India, Pune
KK!HR

The Maternity Benefit Act 1961 provides for maternity benefit to a woman who has worked in that establishment for 80 days in the preceding 12 months. So it appears you are entitled to maternity benefit as provided in the Act. In 2017, the Maternity Benefit Act was amended to extend the maternity benefit period to 26 weeks. Out of the 26 weeks, up to eight weeks can be claimed before delivery. However, you have the option to take the entire 26 weeks of leave after the delivery or regulate it.
From India, Mumbai
Madhu.T.K

Leave, if eligible, will be granted during probation period also. But what is to be found out is whether maternity leave is admissible if you have worked for 80 days but not in 12 months. If the intention of the Act (Maternity Benefit Act) is to cover all women employees who have at least 80 days working immediately preceding the date of or expected date of delivery, why there is qualifying words, " in the preceding 12 months"?

In order to be entitled to maternity leave under ESI, the employee has to be under employment for two contribution periods, ie, one year.

From India, Kannur
shobhit-kumar-mittal

In addition to the maternity benefit, one month leave can be availed u/s 10 of the Maternity Benefit Act 1961 if you are suffering from illness arising out of pregnancy. Just send prescription of your doctor to your employer. In the prescription, the doctor has to certify that you are pregnant and are suffering from any illness out of this pregnancy. This leave can be availed any time.

- S.K. Mittal

From India, Faridabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.