Anonymous
I am Sonali, currently, I am working as an HR Manager, looking Onboarding process, Compensation and Compliance. However, since the last few weeks, I feel there is no growth in HR, no new learning, and no other option to take back. Can you please suggest to me what I should do? looking forward to your valuable advice.
From India, Mumbai
KK!HR

HR is going through the most challenging times, as a business partner looking after human resources, there is more than enough happening. You need to pause a bit and try to see the wider picture and see how you can effectively contribute to attaining greater heights.
From India, Mumbai
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Sonali,

In your post, though you have given a brief description of the activities that you handle within the HR domain, to give any kind of suggestions, we need additional information also. Please confirm the nature of your industry, the number of employees working in your company, the number of employees working in the HR department, your reporting authority etc.

If you have colleagues in the HR department then what kind of activities do they handle? What is the scope of lateral movement? As of now the activities that you handle in the HR department belong to the service function of HR which in the erstwhile era were called activities of the Personnel Department. The actual "HR" part is less in these activities. However, this problem is not there just with you but many other HR professionals too.

If you are working alone in the HR Department then I recommend you understand the operations of your company. Identify the causes of customer dissatisfaction or other operational failures. Identify what HR interventions can mitigate the woes of the customers or operations manager. Thereafter, sit with your reporting authority and identify what needs to be done so as to reduce customer dissatisfaction or improve the operational bottlenecks. However, while putting forth your proposal, make sure that you include the numbers as well. You should be clear about what can be increased or decreased.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
sonali-nanekar1
Dear Sir
The nature of your industry,- Our company is consulting company, consulting to banks, education and IT sectors.
The number of employees working in your company - 200-250,
The number of employees working in the HR department - 2. One for Recruitment means for sourcing only and One for all other activity that is me handling, onboarding, compensation and compliance, Admin activity
What is the scope of lateral movement. - not much, we fulfill our requirement from internal referral and social media campaigning
Thanks
Sonali

From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Sonali,
The last paragraph of my previous reply still holds good. To gain visibility and also to learn in your field, you need to identify scope to reduce some cost or consumption of resources by launching some HR intervention. When you will be able to do a real change, you will earn the trust of your employer.
To begin with, you may talk to the HODs and what can be done to improve their effectiveness.
Nevertheless, there are two other factors that also need to be considered. How the top management views the HR function? From the description of your duties given in the first post, it appears that their view is traditional. Against this backdrop, what support will they give that remains to be seen.
Lastly, the important factor is we are passing through a deadly COVID-19 pandemic. The ill effects of the second wave will be felt on the economy after a few months. Therefore, out of frustration, it may not be advisable to quit the job. Whatever dislike for the monotony maybe, put up with it and wait for the situation in the job market to improve.
The situation that you are passing through is fait accompli of many other HRs too. Only a few students from the HR discipline who graduate from very top-notch institutes get a job wherein they handle proper HR activities. Almost all others have to grapple with the erstwhile personnel management that is camouflaged as the HR management. In India, the change from personnel to HR is just like old wine in a new bottle with a new label. The real evolution has never happened.
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
sonali-nanekar1
Thank you sir, I will look into it.
From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.