npsrajpoot
Dear All,
Recently one person asked me whether HR is a Business function or a support function. This query was bit confusing as I always believe HR is support function which helps business to grow but mostly people think HR as a business function. Please comment and suggest.
Regards,
Narendra

From India, New Delhi
r.vijey

Hi Narendra,
If the Hr has a business leader who will be able to guide them and lead them on all aspects of HR then HR can be a support function or else its a business function. Mostly its the second case as the first case is practically least possible.
Regards
Vijayakumar

From India, Coimbatore
Neha Sahay

he Naren
HR is ofcourse a business function. now the pt is whether its a LINE function OR STAFF function.
to my understanding n experience HR is a core staff functions which
plays a pivotal role in enabling the Line functions perform well
which ultimately yeids business goal.
if you still have any doubt feel free to discuss or debate on it.
thx
neha

From India
yousufj
HR can be simultaneouly both................., it depends on how the HR person plays on the field of business. but its more towrds the support function. Regards, Yousuf

Vinove

I agree that HR is a support function until and un less the company is in HR Outsourcing business.
From India, Delhi
Jo Verde

Hello All,
The Human Resources role is to provide overall company assistance and guidance with the execution of the company's missions, values and ethics, while ensuring we have the right people in the right job at the right time."
Unless and until, we change the view of HR as contributing to business results nothing will change. The HR systems are just some of tools we can use to provide factual data to support our contributions.
All of us, as HR practitioners have a responsibility for, is a change in mindset.
Many HR professionals do not look at their purpose as being strategic, which in itself creates an aura that HR is driving administration, not the strategy of the organization. If we are aligned with the strategy and held accountable for the business results, we will be able to increase our value within the organization while increasing the ability to execute and deliver on business results.
My thoughts for reflection,
Jo Verde
Senior Director
JeMM Consultants

From Canada, Ottawa
sreekanth_vu
Dear All,
I agree with Jo Sir. HR is infact contributed to both the functions. As HR has a valuable role in making various strategic business policies HR has business function. However mostly HR is giving support to the smooth functioning of business we can say HR is support function.
More comments please.
Regards,
Sree

From United States
Jeroo Chandiok

I too agree with Jo.
You have to view HR not as a mere support function (though its role as such is tremendously important), but it also has a strategic impact on the organisation's success. And if the HR community realised this, it not only would strengthen their commitment, but also their motivation by seeing themselves as an integral part of the organisation's strategic alliance.
So the HR community has a unique dual role to play - supportive and strategic. And if it succeeds in honouring both commitments, great!
Jeroo

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.