No Tags Found!

Sathyaish

I have observed a few changes to this community that are, in the long run as you will see, not conducive to the development of an online community.

This community has a lot of members. It takes many years to build up a community of that size. That's the good thing about it.

I fear that the current spate of observations I have made may harm the community or completely destroy it over a long period of time.

Some of the changes I have observed are:

1) The moderation has become more restrictive. This will kill the community. It grew because of its lenience and because it accommodated free thought and free speech.

Recently, even while I made no derisive comments on any particular individual, I received flak from some people who seem to be long-timers here.

Also, recently, in the last 3 months, I have been asked not to post my posts here or there or in more than a single forum or this or that.

In the long run, dear moderation team, this attitude will discourage posters and they will slowly reduce in number.

Please think about it.

I have been a part of online communities since 1997, when many people had no idea even what the Internet was and whether it existed. I tell you out of my experience.

2) Usability wise, this forum is getting worse.

For example, earlier, on the top-right of the screen, you saw your own name and if you clicked it, you saw your user control panel screen, from which you could see your contributions, followers, etc.

Now, they removed your name and you see only the link 'Your Notifications' in that space.

You can still get to your user control panel, but it takes 3 more clicks and 3 screens to jump through to get there.

3) Usability glitch

Earlier, you had the option of editing your posts. Now, they have taken it away. As a result, any spelling errors, typo's you make, anything else you want to change that you posted is now not available to you.

That can be quite uncomfortable.

These changes can be reversed.

It clearly shows that the people making these changes have little or no experience in building online communities.

I will add more as I observe them.

I would hate to see this community die. I request the current team of moderators and administrators to take these suggestions in a serious light and do something about them.

From India, Ghaziabad
Sathyaish

I observe that my posts are not showing up now. Great work, moderators.
My observations have been confirmed. You clearly have no experience in building online communities. The people who built this community were different people. You're a new breed of control freaks who are doing everything they can to reverse its popularity and kill it.
Good luck!

From India, Ghaziabad
Cite Contribution

Greetings, Thankyou for the feedback. This is your community, hence makes it most meaningful to hear from you and improve this together. Thankyou once again .
From India, Mumbai
Sathyaish

Hi (Cite Contribution),
Thank you for your understanding. I really appreciate it.
However, I do not see any of my posts being visible to other users. Could you please check if one of your team members have disabled my posts or something?
Once again, thank you for your understanding. I highly appreciate it.
Regards
Sathyaish

From India, Ghaziabad
anil.arora

Greetings of the day

Dear Mr Sathyaish

Being a member i would like to express my sincere thanks for this discussion and your feedback but I would be really grateful if you’d answer my few of questions as following

-Do you feel to work with an appropriate system is bad?

-Do you feel there should have no system and procedure of posting of a query and need not to be follow?

See above my question are general and based on what i have read above and need to know the answer being a mate or member of this place.. I always prefer for work with a system and expect other to follow the system, rule and work procedure that also a demand of modernization. You certainly are more senior than me with age and experience but i beg you pardon.. i really am shocked with your question on "asking you for posting with a relevant forum by moderator"

Regarding posting a thread/query that you were/are asking to post your thread/post with a particular or relevant forum but don’t you think that we must have all discussions related to any topic with the relevant forum which will bring us a quick and easy option to get them whenever we required and according to modern and good organize system .

For example: how do you feel when you’ll get a discussion and query related to “Employee Training and Motivation” with “Humor Section” or “Employee Compensation and Benefits” Forum. The purpose of asking you and other member to post their discussion with a particular forum is valid and according to the system/ procedure, so that, all can read, learns and share their knowledge and experience easily.

And, the option and details you are talking about, it seems you forget to notice that this all now comes under option “Home” where member/user can get his/her profile and activities and other. Don’t you think this is too easy, quick and best option to get realize these all and according to user demand which is being appreciating by members too. I personally have many conversations about it with many member/friends about it.

About “Usability glitch” seems there is some technical problem or something..please contact Administrator.

Lastly, my respective mate, I request you to please do not claim the things that you are not aware as stated by you above with the Changes by the Moderators and they have little or no experience in building online communities.

Our Administrator (CHR) are fully authorised to consider any change being made by any moderator and so on. There is nothing hidden and the changes/development are going on are regularly discussing by member for their feed back that i believe are unnoticed by you.

From India, Gurgaon
Sathyaish

Hi Anil, The questions you raise are pertinent. I am rushing off now. I will be happy to share my stand with you when I return later tonight. Regards Sathyaish
From India, Ghaziabad
CHR

Hi Sathyaish,

I can see your posts and they have always been visible. I know you received some flak for your posting about certifications. In general, making such general remarks will always cause some controversy and you should've been prepared for that.

I was the one who told you a few times not to cross post your blog links on various threads and forums - this is a rule that applies to all. Regarding being more restrictive - with growth we need to create some rules otherwise this network will fill up very quickly with self promoters and loose its core value of helping others - so the rules are required, and is the same for all.

In 1997 most communities like the usenet or thewell were unmoderated communities - you could post almost anything there. Since the number and quality of people using them was restricted to only people who could afford access, things were a bit simpler and easier. Today we get about 2000 new registrations a day - you can imagine what would happen to this community without these rules.

Usability issues are understandable - the line of text providing a direct link to the profile page was removed to reduce the space required by the navigation bar. I will see if we can fit in a direct link somewhere.

The edit option was removed because people were removing the original queries after receiving the help they needed. This breaks the discussion and makes the thread and the effort put in by the members completely useless. I will, at some point later, add a function to allow edits for the first 5 minutes.

Regards,

Sid

From India, Gurgaon
Cite Contribution

We are here, only because we want to see others succeed . What we learn in the process, remains only a natural result. Giving doesn't make anyone rich , nor do a free service . A community, unlike an organisation, belongs to the members who are a part of it. What we make out of this community, depends only us.
Can we make sure , others thrive and grow? Well, thats only why we are here. Years back my mentor, Samvedan, had given me a vision. He asked me to challenge myself to see how many leaders and successful professionals can I build . Sounds interesting ? Lets get at it :)

From India, Mumbai
tajsateesh

Hello Sathyaish,

I guess you will be seeing ALL the responses later tonight.

With absolutely NO ILL WILL or any intent to castigate/criticize, pl go thru the following points--comments to the issues you raised in this thread, some of which are quite valid/apt.

1] The Subject you chose:"This place needs the old moderators back".

Wouldn't it have been more better/appropriate to sync it with the content you posted in this thread? While the content has some really valid & excellent issues raised, the Subject gives any new/fresh reader/member a totally different impression [the senior members can see that you didn't actually mean the different interpretation it CAN convey]. Pl give this a thought. Given your exp in online communities, I hope you got the point.

2] I guess the clarifications/remarks by Sid, (Cite Contribution) & Anil to your point "The moderation has become more restrictive" are satisfactory to you. But, at the same time, you do have a point that the 'free thought and free speech' ought to be the mainstay of this Forum. Now the key aspect would be to find the RIGHT BALANCE--where the 'free thought and free speech' remain BUT with the necessary structured processes in place [to ensure that some members don't misuse this Forum].

I think it is also imperative on everyone's part--especially those who participate on a regular basis in this Forum--to bear in mind the various legal aspects IF & WHEN any serious situations arise due to a 'sort of' lackadaisical methodology in postings--without any formal controlling/structured mechanism. Hope you get the point, given some recent situations abroad where FB & few other Forums had to do a lot of explaining due to misuse.

3] Reg the other points related to the technical aspects/functions/features that you raised, I presume Sid's response addresses them. Pl let us know if any of it/them isn't clear AND if you think there's a better way to do it/them.

And finally, a point for introspection--no pun intended pl---your strength is in the issues/points you are able to notice & highlight/escalate. But where this gets tapered/watered down or misconstrued is the method/wordings you adopt [in short, you are pretty good at the "WHAT part", but may need to look into how to improve "the HOW part"].

Looking forward to your continued participation & feedback on how to make this Forum more useful to ALL users.

Rgds,

TS

From India, Hyderabad
groyalg

Hi All,

When I read the "Topic" heading, the first thing which comes into my mind "Is this concern/query is correctly posted in the right section of forum?" Hence, I would like to take this opportunity to raise a concern that how it is decided that a thread is wrongly posted in wrong section. It's a very thin line to define many categories where to post your thoughts/query into which section of the forum. I am struggling these days to clearly share my views and thoughts on any topic after receiving few notifications on my posts.

What I feel and found that if moderators feel that any thread/post is incorrectly placed, then they can easily move them instead of deleting the thread/post. I am not taking anyone side or blaming anyone but for betterment for this community and users.

I would also like to quote and agree on one line from the above post reply " I always prefer for work with a system and expect other to follow the system, rule and work procedure that also a demand of modernization." but with a difference that it can't followed in the same way every time. Otherwise the problems, concerns, issues etc. of the users which we see on this forum regularly should be stopped and later on need of these forums is not required. I always see many situations in my office on daily basis that do not demand Systematic approach but "Situation and Understanding" approach.

Once again, I am not against anybody views/thoughts but share my views which I felt like sharing with you all. Looking forward for positive response.

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.