No Tags Found!

1982.deepika@gmail.com

Have Women found their due share in the corporate world ?

This is a very important aspect of the growth of our country. Much as we talk about the talent crunch in the HR fraternity as a whole, we fail to recognize the aspect of increasing the number of women employees within our organizations. I want to ask each of you to let us know your thoughts on the topic if, according to you, women have been able to get a share in the corporate world ?
If yes, please elaborate why do you think so. If you feel they have not got their due share, please tell us what according to you should be done to ensure that it is done.
Feel free to disagree and debate......

From India, Amritsar
maliniluky

The role of women worldwide is undergoing a dramatic change. Women today share the podium with men in almost all fields but still Men represent the greater proportion of the corporate world

Came across an article in India today where it states the following…..

May 2002, New Delhi, (WFS): A national daily recently ran a news story saying that at the turn of the century, big names in India Inc. treasure an unwritten code: "Do not employ women".

A national daily quoted Pallavi Jha, former chairperson of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) (Maharashtra Region) as saying; "A study on women graduates of the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, showed that more than 70 per cent do not pursue a career."

Major road blocks for women who aspire to achieve and succeed in organizations are the presence of social and role of constraints imposed upon them by society, the family and women themselves. These constraints are referred as myths fostered and sustained with preconceived ideas and unsupported evidence, which generate guilt in women

Myths applied to women in business:

* Women switch jobs more frequently than men.

* Women would not work if economic reasons did not force them into the labor market.

* Women fall apart in a crisis.

* Women are too concerned with the social aspects of their jobs and cannot be trusted with important matters.

* Women are more concerned than men about working conditions.

* Women are not willing to travel extensively for the organization.

* Women put their heart above their head, so at time they become over emotional

From India, Madras
Deepak Dhasmana
Hey Malini ... ye "Myths" nahin "Sachhai" hai .... JOkes apart ..
some real facts ...
1) "Ladkiyaan naa ho to yahaan job karne kaun time se aaye ... yahi to hain jo hum log daily time se pahunch jaate hain ... "
2) "Mann laga ke `unka` assignment pehle ker dete hain ..."
3) "Jabardasti pangey lete hain ... taaki aage baat karne ka reason milta rahe ..."
4) "Ab ladkiyaan nahin hongi ... to rastey me hi khade hoke PARANTHEY kha lenge ... ladkiyon ke saath to kisi achhey restaurant me jaake lunch karo ... aur BILL bhi hanste hanste de do .."
5) Client kitna bhi rukha ho ... receptionist ko phone pakda do ... apne aap sahi se baat karega ..
to conclusion ye hai ki "BHAAYA LADKIYAAN TO HONI HI HONI CHAHIYEIN... WARNA MAIN NAHIN KHEL RAHAA ... i mean MAIN NAHIN JOB KER RAHA"

From India, Delhi
prach2010

Hi Deepika,

Thanks for initiating a wonderful topic for discussion :).

I agree with Malini to a gr8 extent. While the number of females are increasing, very few reach to greater heights. I believe, primarily they don't reach top positions due to the following reasons -

Family values - Majority of females are grown up with the basic value, that they need to earn just to support their families, not to excel in their career

Urge to grow - Few females really want to make it to the top. So it's not competence/intelligence but the desire to grow lacks in most of the females. They are just contended with what they have, again due to social values & being in a male dominated society

Support - If a male wants to pursue a long way in his career, he gets lot of support from his family, but if a female wishes to pursue a career, and want to reach the top, she does not get the support as she should. Eg: Extra working hours, travel, official meetings, parties are not welcome by family members.

With this I would reemphasize that Females have the required competence to make it to the highest level in a corporate only if she is able to cross the barriers mentioned above.

THE ONE WHO IS DETERMINED, WILL MAKE A WAY & SURPASS ALL BARRIERS :-P

From India, Mumbai
Shikha_Singh

Hi Deepika,
Great discussion. By the way, Is this a study for you or just a general discussion?
Coming to the point,
I think corporate india is still dominated by the male fraternity. The larger section of which still has conservative values and outlook towards women. (women dont work, women arent intelligent, women cant do technical work, working women arent good homemakers, etc)
However, in the coming years the outlook of young men towards women will change. I anticipate this because they are being brought up by fairly modern parents; where both parents are educated and most mothers are working. Hence, the young men of tomorrow will not view women as a less capable being at the workplace.
Lastly, I believe that women have not and might not get their due share anywhere! Why...? Because we are ready to sacrifice our share of success and glory for our men and find happiness in their success. We are made that way.
Regards,
Shikha
P.S - Where have all the men gone?

From India, Mumbai
Shikha_Singh

Friends,
Please visit this thread posted today and look at the opinions. You'll be shocked.
https://www.citehr.com/176057-10-qualities-women-2.html
Runal, please no more counts.........

From India, Mumbai
Shikha_Singh

Runal - Your second name is Spam. You are all over, whether required or not :P There must be a spam filter for you.......
From India, Mumbai
poonam2410

Yes indeed, Women find their "deserving" share in today's corporate arena. The frustation among female employees for the said issue is resultant of the "Improper Time Management" by them, which they don't want to address when it comes to them.

But this is the harsh reality which should be taken very seriously. Women were and will be recognized as successful business women , provided that they put on the desired time on their jobs and duties. But the Fact is Indian Women , specially is tied up with the Family chores, kids maintainance and house hold daily planning, controlling and executions.

And every women irrespective of the fact that she is married or unmarried, affluent or middle-class, have to be "multitasking" , and now the species of women who managed to strike this delicate balance are rewarded as successful and the ladies who simply couldn't balance out things and time in "Family Chkra" are placed in other category, where one most easiest defence is to talk and raise these issues of unequitable jobs and harrasment.

My submission is that female should take the resposibilty of themselves and try to walk little extra mile..'coz they have to.

From India, Kanpur
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.