No Tags Found!

bala1

Hi CiteHR friends,

Here is a report on dangers of "second hand smoking".

Quote:

Hundreds of studies have indicated that the harm caused by secondhand smoke is far greater than earlier believed. One report includes these findings:

¶There is no safe level of secondhand smoke, and even brief exposure can cause harm, especially for people suffering from heart or respiratory diseases.

¶For nonsmoking adults, exposure raises the risk of heart disease by 25 percent to 30 percent and of cancer by 20 percent to 30 percent. It accounted for 46,000 premature deaths from heart disease and 3,000 premature deaths from cancer last year.

¶Secondhand smoke is a cause of sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS, accounting for 430 deaths last year. The risk is elevated for children whose mothers were exposed during pregnancy and for children exposed in their homes after birth.

¶The impact on the health and development of children is more severe than previously thought. "Children are especially vulnerable to the poisons in secondhand smoke,".

¶Efforts to minimize the effect of secondhand smoke by separating smokers and nonsmokers are ineffective, as are ventilation systems in a shared space.

¶While exposure has declined, as many as 60 percent of nonsmokers show biological evidence of encountering secondhand smoke, and 22 percent of children are exposed to secondhand smoke in their homes.

Studies conducted by the Centers for Disease Control show that great progress has been made in reducing exposure. The amount of cotinine — the form nicotine takes after being metabolized — in blood samples fell by 75 percent among adults, according to specimens taken from 1999 to 2002 that were compared with samples taken a decade earlier.

Unquote::

Now here is what the tobacco manufacturers say...................

Tobacco companies say the risks of secondhand smoke are unproved and overstated. In a statement on its Web site, R. J. Reynolds says, "It seems unlikely that secondhand smoke presents any significant harm to otherwise healthy nonsmoking adults; and, given the extensive smoking bans and restrictions that have already been enacted, nonsmokers can easily avoid exposure to secondhand smoke."

A spokesman for the company, David Howard, said yesterday, "Bottom line, we believe adults should be able to patronize establishments that permit smoking if they choose to do so," according to The Associated Press.

Once again, two sides of the coin!

But, whatever it may be smoking is injurious to health!

Thanks

Bala

From India, Madras
sidhu1972

Hi Bala,
But, whatever it may be smoking is injurious to health!
We know all but we do same mistake like CROW
Do u know a history of Crow???
I ll tell u.
Every evening, all crow will conduct meeting and meeting conclusion is " we will not touch dirty items tommorrow onwards" but they attack ion dirty items n the next moring. In the same some body teach us that we should not do this thing, it is not good, bad, and so on........bala bala bala....but we repeat same.
Regards
Sidhu

From India, Bangalore
bala1

Huh, Sidhuji, You have put across a very unpalatable truth. How do we get out of this Rut is what we have to think, think deeply, discuss and decide. Bala
From India, Madras
sidhu1972

Hi Bala,
Gud Mng,
I m not expert but only through education we can convince as i think. Once people will realise the bad effect of such dirty items, automatically people will start to leave this habit
Regards
Sidheshwar

From India, Bangalore
vishalgupta

A secondary or second hand smoking means Passive smoking.
It means the person is not directly smoking but is standing / sitting near to a person who is smoking directly i.e., an Active Smoker.
It's true that there is more risk for the life of a passive smoker than an active smoker.
Regards,
VISHAL

From United States
bala1

Secondary smoking is ......
Let me tel an example:
You are travelling in a car with a friend and the windows are open and the friend lights a cigarette and starts smoking.
Since you are sitting next to him, the smoke will come towards you also. And unknowingly you inhale that smoke while you breathe.
That is secondary smoking - you are not actually smoking. but you happen to be standing near somebody who is smoking and that affects you also.
Now imagine what will be the effects on that person who is actually smoking?
Clear?
Thanks
Bala

From India, Madras
rupa_bhatt

OhhBala Thanks for ur efforts ..Now i understand very thoroughly the meaniing of Secondary smoking .. thanks !!!!! Am sure theeffects u have listed are really harmfull>>>dangerous .. regards Rupa
From India, Mumbai
tiya18
Thanx for posting such an informative piece bala.We all are aware of the deleterious effects of smoking,................but some people just can't understand the harm they are causing to others by sticking to their bad habits.
I however get more disturbed to see women,specially having young kids, smoking at all possible places in US.Wonder how are they going to preach their child about the illeffects of smoking........when they themselves are poisoning their lungs.
Its really difficult to convince these hardcore smokers to quit smokin.What one can atmost, do is to stop them from smoking in public places.

From United States, Creedmoor
bala1

Hi Tiya, Welcome to CiteHR. (My apologies for being late in welcoming). You are possibly right - the only thing one could do is stop smoking in public places. Thanks Bala
From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.