rekha.shimpex@gmail.com
Hi All, Can anyone suggest me which book is the best for learning stage of English for prepositions? As my friend needs this, his English is ok but he always confuse in prepositions.
From India, Gurgaon
mnsvasan

Hi,

The thread on English Communication has been very interesting.

I am of the view that if a person has difficulty in composing sentences, he has to learn that art and, in my view the best way is to read comics – particularly the comics created by Anand Pai – for example Amar Chitra Katha and Tinkle. These have been written in very simple manner – perhaps each sentence will have no more than 10 words. The meanings of these sentences are very clear because of pictures. By reading these sentences frequently and learning the meaning and context with the help of pictures, a person will develop the ability to compose grammatically correct expressions for writing and for more importantly in speaking. Comics are particularly helpful in preparing a learner to converse in informal situations. (– this where many people lack confidence). By reading comics like Amar Chitra Katha, Chandamama, repeatedly a person learns “to think in English” – he does not frame a sentence in his mind and attempts to translate – His expressions are spontaneous.

Once he gains confidence he can build up and develop and only the sky is the limit.

I am not joking – I am very serious and honest and sincere in saying that “for improving English, read comics” and do not forget to thank that genius Anand Pai.

Another hint I wish to share. We must know what we want – if we encounter a word and do not know its meaning we can refer a dictionary. It happens when we read a report or letter. When we write, we want a particular word - appropriate word – for the message we want to deliver – here we must consult Thesaurus – not dictionary. When we have the idea in our head and we want the correct word for it Thesaurus will help. Even if you encounter a new word and check its meaning in dictionary, it is better to check in thesaurus also – it will give words with similar meaning – but not identical meaning – we may use the most appropriate word for the context in which we write.

For good formal English and for developing writing skills, there are several books – perhaps there should be Dummie’s and Idiot’s guides also. I have found these books to be extremely good and useful:

1. “Writers Express” by Dave Kemper /Ruth Nathan /Patrick Sebranek published by DC Heath Company, USA. – this is a very interesting book for children and learners – Children will love it.

2. “Nautical Miles” – it is a story book, perhaps written to enhance the English skills of Indian youth. Should be very useful

3. “Write Better, Speak Better” published by Reader’s Digest. It is a kind of Guide or reference book. It is a wonderful book and guides the reader to write in a lucid manner – I had the benefit of using this book when my career demanded writing a variety of things, right from a copy of advertisement to replies to lawyer’s notices. This is a very useful book and can be a companion for lifetime.

I have seen postings seeking help with English communication earlier also. I want to specifically give one message to those who seek help – it is easier than it looks – to learn and use English, particularly as they are now in an office and they have opportunities to read and hear English. It is easy, let them cheer up and keep their eyes and ears open and make consistent efforts. They will master English.

From India, Madras
Dr. Jogeshwar mahanta

Long live the life style of gangster youngsters with the patronage of their patrons .
Attribution: Improve communication skills - English pronunciation & grammar
What is the progress yaar? NIL or par excellent?

From India, Delhi
skbp79

Dear all,
Thanks for the better guide, i think that will be helpful for any one who weak to speak in English. what is the easy way to learn the formal letter drafting? is there any link or ebooks please guide..
skbp79

From India, Calcutta
Bharghavi.D

Dear Sir, I did not receive any reply for my query. I had asked you as to which thread of mine you had posted... What happened to this...???? Regards, Bharghavi
From India, Bangalore
Sonyaa
HI Naresh,
be confident when you are going for the interview and to prepare for your communication skills you need to practise everyday.
1. Read newspapers loudly and record it and then listen to it.
2. Watch English News.
3. Read the dictionary that will also help you.
4. Speak slowly and open your mouth and speak.
5. Take a note of your pronunciation also.
Wish you all the best.
Regards,
Sonyaa

From India, Bangalore
palugulla.raghuram@gamil.com

Hi Naresh,
you had expressed that you are having poor communication,which is effecting your career so i suggest you one thing to over come this problem be practicing in communication development daily through the HINDU news paper observe and absorb vocabulary try to keep regular practice.
RAGHU RAMI REDDY.P

From India, Bhopal
nkagnelbiz
If your problem is fluency and articulation, or even grammar, start by choosing a story book (or any reading material where the language is quite simple and interesting) or even an English Reader for 9th or 10th standard, which will have interesting stories.
Read it aloud, savouring the sentences and words.
If you like some phrases you read, memorise one or two, and try to use them in your conversation.
Then move on to more complex, 'drier' reading material.

From India, Mumbai
harinder_boparai2000

A lot of Thankx to all of you to providing the above valuable things.
Actually i have also English speaking problems.
Eg: if something in my mind and i have to say this to my boss, whether i know it that how i have to say it in English but even after i cant speak in English.
I am also trying to improve myself in english. let a see wht hppn

From India, Bangalore
bodhisutra

If you can find someone to talk to you everyday and correct your mistakes - do that. Spend some time everyday talking and learning.
If not, then find a training program that will give you a lot of guided practice of English speaking.

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.