manasvi

The difference of thoughts and priorities based reply :) Good attempts.

I would rather explain the situation and suggest solution through "Self Reference Criteria".

Many the times it happens that your SRC does not work to the situation that you need to deal with. Come out with the solution which lies in the problem itself.

The problem is not - ur sis is not allowed to wear Mangalsuthra but the root cause is the nature of her job.

When it comes to HR Policies of any Company- it should align to the Vision, mission and objective of the Ogr. It has to be -I must say.

Specific to wearing Mangalsuthra or not should be driven by the success of the road shows and public interviews. If your sis is going to give them better results with wearing Mangalsuthra- I do not think even the owner/top executive of the org are going to say- Why did you wear Mangalsuthra? This is the beauty of the Private sector. The bottom-line is good results. The one who can justify his/her action statement is the winner. If us sis can justify wearing what she wants and giving what she is expected to contribute to the Org- I do not think any such issue will pop up in future.

I being HR person always wants to create" Employee friendly HR policies" with the theme-By them, For them- Believe me its works very well practically.

From India, Bangalore
sheetalsehgal

Hi hr_wonder

We should understand that while passing any comments to others we should not be so rude that we forget the basic politeness. Be yourself but don’t quote organizations/ people unnecessarily. U yourself enjoy & check out Kingfisher calendar but still condemning Vijay Mallya.

Kingfisher Models who go for such shoots but I believe Models are not forced for such shoots for calendars. It is totally with their consent. It is very clear that it depends on them that want to opt for it or not. It is their decision what is their limitation.

Coming back to main issue we can Look for various solution like looking for such design of mangalsutra which can be hidden under you dress or taking it off while on duty. This will help her to follow grooming regulation of the organization she is working from past 2 long years & simultaneously follow the custom she believes in.

Have a good Day

Regards

Sheetal Sehgal

Quote:

hr_wonder Join Date: Mar 2009

Dear Sheetal,

Reg "attainment of respect" - I dont think I have to fake myself to attain the same. Need to be yourself first - need to speak your views and not be polished when you have to speak at the right spot.

And why I would say abt Kingfisher: Pls check their yearly calendar.

I would say as a GUY - its great!

Do you know that IPL season had issues with the girls in red?

I completely agree with K Ravi's views. Its true - just to seek attention people (esp Owners) do this.

My point here is - dont think that HR creates such "policies". Its the owner / the management themselves.

Would appreciate if you'd stick to whats being discussed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheetalsehgal

Being a Front liner for any industry one has to understand that Grooming regulations need to be adhered.

With due respect to every one's feelings one has to understand that you have to dress up in a certain manner while performing your job responsibilities as a front face. She can carry it with her & wear it while off from job & take it off while in job. You just cant expect your employer to be too relaxed to dress in any fashion you want to while on duty as face of organisation.

Hr-wonder, I really wonder how far you have seen Kingfisher crew & checked their grooming n uniform, but I believe you have no rights to pass such comments on uniform & staff of any esteemed organization. Please give some respect to others & this will help you to attain it

Regards

Sheetal Sehgal

From India, New Delhi
hr_wonder

Dear Sheetal,
I dont condemn Vijay Malaya - I love his work: :-)
Well, coming back to the issue : I want to get this into everyone's head -IT IS NOT THE HR WHO DESIGNS SUCH POLICIES. IS IS THE OWNER / MANAGEMENT!
Hope you got my message

From India, Coimbatore
Ramesh Karasi
Dear Mr.Singh,
Absolutely correct. I agree with your comments.
I am surprised to read some of the comments posted by our friends who are in favour of discouraging use of Mangalsutra, which is supposed to be an anti-social mindset of Hindu tradition.
Hai ki nahi !!!
Ramesh Karasi.

From India, Bharuch
manpreetk04
Why can't people carry on with their traditions & beliefs if it doesn't hurt anyone's sentiments or business?

Tomorrow, the management might say that wearing saree, turban, is against the corporate policy.

Its not what attire you wear, but attitude & aptitude towards your profession that takes you places and helps you move up the corporate ladder.

Though, we all, as professionals should try and confine ourselves to business attire, but it doesn't mean that not abiding to it in a sacrosanct manner would have any grave affect on our profession.

As far as the 'Mangal-sutra issue' is concerned, the individual must introspect (may be discuss with hubby too) before taking up the same with HR.

Once she is convinced that what she is asking for is right, only then go ahead and fight for it, asking the management for substantial reasons to not wear a mangal-sutra.

Its also about the dignity of a woman.

Hightime we start raising voice & concerns against absurd decisions of management.

HR is the face of the oganization.

From India, New Delhi
nithya_hr

Yes Runnu , you are right !!
Mangal suthra is made from the tradition and culture of husband family.. the design , style , weight , everything matter in mangal suthram .. Say for example my mangal suthram is half Sovereign weight its quite big one... we can not modify any mangal suthram.. design at any cost we need to follow the customs of generations of husband family....
at same time north indians wear very small pendant kind of thing.. they must not change it to bigger one... it has lot of meaning in it.. work is not greater than an mangalsuthram according to me..
Culture definately can not be stopped

From India, Madras
Trinity-Morpheus

My suggestion - Talk to HR and understand why the blessed policy is in place - they need to provide decent reasons for the policy in force. Secondly if the reasoning is correct and viable then accept it.... but if its not then grill further..... According to me as a RJ (and travelling around) with mangalsutra should not by any chane affect anything.... i dont know when i though the last time i heard a RJ in my car radio, wearing a mangalsutra.... RJ, dont project themselves on screen and are not visible to eyes...So wearing managalsutra shouldnt be a issue in the first place....

Its possible that the parent org....(if its not an indian firm) has banned emp's waering neckalces or anything around emp's neck....this is sound....and viable....but then necklaces or other wiry stuff dont necessarily impact culture and act as a accesory.... while in our case Mangalsutra is not a acccesory and is by our Hindu law.... no employer can violate the law of the land... :)

Talk to the HR and keep us posted....

From United Kingdom, London
nandu1983

Dear Harshal,
As it is very sensitive issue, but still she can wear Mangal sutra with the plain long gold chain (with out black beats) like south indians and she can put inside her dress. It will look as like other chain.
With Regards,
Nandini M S

From India, Bangalore
jain.teena82
Hi,
I think its very complicated issue. but first of all I think its very stupid policy. is carrying mangal sutra affecting her performance. it not at all. She must have to discuss with management & try to give her point in this matter. Even she must have to try to find out the reason for the same. Is this is the same policy for every married lady in office or she is the only person suffering here. If anyhow management not ready to change the policy than she need to play diplomatically like carrying mungal sutra in bag or doing something which she feel suitable according to company.
But I believe she must have to look forward for new job because the company which has such kind of issues may not be worth working for her.
If my statement hurting any one than sorry.

From India, Delhi
Isaacking
Dear Harshal,
Policy is stupid and goes against the Article 25 of Indian constitution. So she can wait for a official Memo & then take the organization to the Court & get compensated for it.
Remember someone need to start it & others will follow.(First Rule of Revolution)

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.