saurabh.shrivastav

This is sometimes a problem that candidate take the offer letter and the never join.
The solution can be, though may not be always effective but definetely will reduce your worry -
Do not give the offer letter untill the actual joining of the candidate, unless and untill one demands this.
Ask the candidates very clearly the latest date when they can join and mention specifically in the offer letter that the offer letter will not be valid in case joining is done after the spitulated date.
In case the candidate does not join on the date mentioned issue the offer cancellation letter.
As far as possible do not mention the salary in the offer letter.
Saurabh

From China, Leizhou
Ash Mathew

same problem here too Swati.
Its getting worse this time and the best part is - they inform they are not joining only on the day of joining.
psyches me out completely.
Well - Got so damn used to it that I have started keeping atleast two people in pipe line so that just in case the first person does not join, I call the second shortlisted person.
Ravi - Your suggestion is good.
But what happens is - they send a copy of their resignation - but simultaneously apply for other positions.
So what I have decided is - I never mention the salary that will be offered, on teh offer letter. Only on teh day of joining I give them the appointment letter with details on salary.
If they insist a lot, I give them the offer letter alone on teh company letter head - the salary I mention in a plain paper (as an attachment to offer) - but with no signature.
No other option..

From India, Madras
Balaji Kuppuswamy

Noway we can guarantee if a person is issued with offer letter joins a co.
the offer letter can be issued without mentioning salary details as members suggested and once the offer fructifies, it gets justified.
TAKING THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS ARE CRIMINAL OFFCENCE, AS MR.MALIK SIR RIGHTLY INDICATED.
ITS ILLEGAL IN THE COURT OF LAW.
kb

From India, Madras
Ash Mathew

Hmm yep - it seems to be a never ending problem.
But atleast the candidate can negotiate for a better offer only based on what is shown on paper... so... it will be little difficult to play around with that.

From India, Madras
Balaji Kuppuswamy

Practically speaking, a candidate will not accept an offer letter without the salary details and that too, if it is vague with the designation offered and without emolument details, more safer for candidate he could say to another employer, that salary terms are yet to be discussed and they hv assured so and so, and so on.
So, he can use it in any way, if it is not mentioned, its not a security for an employer, if they do not mention the salary details as such.
Morever, its a good aid for a candidate to play it around.
So, the point of not mentioning the salary details in offer will not at all make a security cover for an organization.
kb

From India, Madras
Ash Mathew

Works in my case and have not had any issue with that either. Its the way of convincing why the salary is not mentioned. Speaking with facts and not just on vague imagination.
From India, Madras
Balaji Kuppuswamy

The term "vague" mentioned refers to the issuance of letter without the salary details.
If it works, no issue. But in most of the organizations, it does not work as the candidate will not at all accept it either at the first instance, to be noted.
All the representations and suggestions are made on facts and giving due importance to practicality and situational aspects.
kb

From India, Madras
Rajeev Nangia1
Hi

I am in agreement to Mr Malik and Mr Ansari. In one of my earlier organizations when we used to issue any offer letter we clearly state that offer is valid for one week and in case we donot receive accepted copy of the offer letter and the acceptance of the resignation from the candidate's present organization our offer is null and void. At least in this case one is bit sure within one week itself about sincerity of the candidate.

Secondly, the HR has to keep the communication channel on with the selected candidate, keep him/her engaged by forwarding the joining related forms etc much in advance and ask him to complete and forward to you. In between one may also speak to the speak to know about the progress.

Further if the candidate is from out station, give him/her support in terms of identification packers and movers, identifying the house or school for his/her kids. All such kind of activities facilitates in joining of a person.

I am sure if you can adopt such measures, your joining ratio may increase.

Best Regards

Rajeev Nangia

General Manager - HR

From India, New Delhi
nandini_agarkar@rediffmai

Hi, Swati ,
I am very much agree with Malik Sir,
In my organisation we used to give a joining letter in wich we just mention candidates' post for which he is selected & his joining date. Also we mention that apponitment /offer letter (alongwith terms conditions & salary details)will be issued only after his acceptance & joining of duties.
Then we finally used give him apponitment letter after 15 days of his joining.
The eperience of this procedure till date is positive
Nandini

From India, Pune
vinomba

Hi Swathi,

Here the problem is after issuing the offer letter they are not joining.

Disadvantage for not joining

1. Your company standard

2. Salary negotiation

3. Date of joining

4. I dentify from ur words that ur not comforatable to have optional candidate.

Advantage

1. After issuing the offer letter, keep calling the candidate every 10 to 15 days, interact closly to the candidate (While talking u can undersatand whether he/ she intrested to join in ur company) some e.g if he/ she not having phone conversation with good sound or otherwise speaking about the offer is not comforatable or any miscommunication will happen from the candidate or not intrested in relocating etc ( definitely u will find the loop holes)

2. Use the jobportal verify with the profile, he/she updated after issuing the offer letter. if they are doing so u may to look for optional candidate.

3. Dn't have only one best candidate for the position, atleast u should have 2 to 3 optional candidate to next level.

4. Dn't explicity the candidate that you are very important profile for the company.

Best HR proactise you should not take any document of the candidate ( this is my umble request to all HR dn't expect the certicate from the candidate, solve the problem technically)

Dn't underestimate your confidence. If anything wrong in my sentence, plz overlook my mistake.

Tomorrow you will also search for some job offer, what are condition in your mind think from that position. you shall easily solve this kind of problems.

Regards,

Vinoth.R

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.